PDA

View Full Version : Preparing in the UK for NZ CPL exams

bumpffslam
23rd Mar 2005, 11:58
I emigrating from UK to NZ in August and intend to take the opportunity to "follow my dream" and go for a CPL. I can not do a JAA CPL because my eyes do not meet JAA Class 1 standard but have been accepted for NZ CAA Class 1 (Not the reason for emigrating!)

I have some time in UK before I go over so want to prepare in the UK for the NZ CPL exams. I believe the NZ syllabus is based on the old CAA. I've a UK IR so have studied half the old CAA CPL syllabus previously and have a copy of the old Oxford CAA course notes for the remainder.

Should I just bone up on the study notes I have?

Any one know of a NZ distance learning supplier?

If I study JAA ground school, other than air law, would it be suitable preparation?

Any feedback welcomed regarding NZ CPL/ATPL flight training schools.

Down 'n' Hanging
23rd Mar 2005, 15:39
Firstly, you lucky :mad:! I love NZ and it's also my dream to get over and live there. It kind of helps having family over there, so one day maybe.

I did a check out to get my NZ PPL whilst I was there a couple of years ago and you will love the flying there.

It depends to which island you are going, but have a look at this web-site, it should help you find what you are looking for.

http://www.kiwicareers.govt.nz/lists/courses/subject/s02d01.htm

I've been to Ardmore, a large G/A airport near Auckland, and was impressed with the set up. However, most of my time has been spent in the South Island.

Have a look at Nelson Aviation College and Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology. In the North Island apart from Ardmore, I've heard good things about the Waikato Institute of Technology and Bay Flight International. I don't mention the rest on the list simply as I don't know anything about them. From my experience of Kiwi hospitality though where ever you go you will be well treated and well looked after.

Good luck, enjoy paradise and I hope it goes well for you. :ok:

Artificial Horizon
23rd Mar 2005, 17:15
BUMP,

Good luck on your new venture, I did it the other way around, I gained my NZ flying licences before moving to the UK where I now fly commercially. You will love flying in NZ, it is relaxed and has some spectacular scenery.

On to the more serious side of things, the NZ CPL exams are a little different to the JAA exams, there is no requirement to attend or undertake ANY type of official course. In fact it is fairly rare to do this, most just buy the appropriate text books and self study those. When you are ready to sit the exams then you just ring Aviation Services Ltd and book in for the exam. ASL does everything in NZ with regard to examinations, both written (cpl exams) aswell as providing the examiners for the flight tests. ASL has a list of recommended text books to use for the study of all of these subjects and also you can buy sample papers which are very accurate. There website address is: www.aviation.co.nz , this site has all of the info you need.

As far as I am aware there is only one distance learning course available and that is for the ATPL exams, the structure in NZ means people don't do there atpl's until they gain flying employment.

My advice would be to have a look at the above site, buy the suggested text books, read through those and then get some sample papers. Once in NZ you will be ready to sit the first of the exams, concentrate on ONE subject at a time, you don't have to sit more than one at a time.

Also look at www.caa.govt.nz , this has some great resources and information about learning to fly and gaining licences in NZ.

Any questions then feel free to send me a PM.

Cheers,

Hope this is helpful.

P.S. Remember when ordering your textbooks buy them from a shop in NZ, the same books are published in the UK but all things to do with Met will be around the wrong way.

This is a great shop in NZ where I used to buy all of my flying related texts, anything that ASL recommends will be available through capital books.

http://www.capitalbooks.co.nz

From my experience the UK CAA syllabus in nothing like the NZ CAA syllabus so I wouldn't rely to much on your old notes, as I say pick a subject, buy the recommended textbook and start reading and then get the sample paper, perhaps after doing this with just one book (£30ish) then you will get a good feel for how similar they are.