PDA

View Full Version : Stallstrip

Dick Whittingham
23rd Mar 2005, 10:50
We are having difficulty with a feedback question that defines a "stallstrip" as a stall warning device.

What do you guys understand a "stallstrip" to be?

All help appreciated.

Dick W

High Wing Drifter
23rd Mar 2005, 10:55
I think it is somthing on the leading edge that generates buffet when there is ordinarily little other indication of entering a stall.

geraldn
23rd Mar 2005, 10:58
according to my knowledge a stall strip is a device which induces a stall at the root first,which at a higher AofA promote seperation but not overall wing efficiency in the cruise.
therefore i dont think it could be termed as a stall warning device.
regards
gn

Tallbloke
23rd Mar 2005, 11:21
Explained to me once by an instructor (Tony Creese I think). As per HWD, the stall strip encourages seperation at high alpha to induce buffet (on the tailplane) hence warning the pilot.

Pete Begley
23rd Mar 2005, 13:18
Hi Guys

On some aircraft the stallstrip is specifically designed to cause turbulence over the tail at high alpha and 'warn' the pilot of impending doom. Mooneys use this I know.

For the rest of the story, and to cut it short, if you've got a wing which is going to stall out near the wingtips and over the ailerons, you'll get wing drop with no roll control which is not good.

Washout can help to prevent this (lower angle of attack at Tip than root) but a cheaper solution is to fit stallstrips which induce stall in the wing at the root section. This way you get nose drop but retain roll control.

Going back to the original post, do stallstrips warn of impending stall? Well yes I suppose they do by giving you early stall indications, as opposed to advanced uncontrollable stall without any warning.

Just my 2p worth.

http://www.pilotgroundtraining.com/perf/stallstrip.jpg

Dick Whittingham
23rd Mar 2005, 18:00
OK. That matches the feedback answer, so we'll stick with that.

Many thanks for your contributions.

Dick W

Piltdown Man
23rd Mar 2005, 18:38
On a Fokker 70/100 it's a strip approx. 4mm square by 30mm length (I'm sure of the order of maginitude - ludicrously small!). If you want precise dimensions, I'll go and measure one. It's located approx 1/4 chord. Allegedly, it breaks up the laminar flow and gives a little buffet rather than... etc...

Cheers.