PDA

View Full Version : PGT - The Best Ground School in UK?

FlyingSpanner
23rd Mar 2005, 10:48
Yes! I cannot rate the guys at this school highly enough. Here are the reasons why.

I have just completed a brush up course with them for a few subjects that I am taking in the next batch of exams in April. Everything about the school just reeks of class, all of the guys I dealt with are ex Oxford Instructors and from my experiance of instructors (I am an aircraft engineer licensed on B747/767/777 A319/320/321/330/340/345 so I have seen a few instructors)are the best in their chosen fields. (I think Oxford lost out when these guys left!)

Your initial contact to this school will usually be to a guy called Adrian Smith, he managed to play a blinder for me. Not only did he manage to re-arrange their course structure around my time constraints but managed to get me an excellent B&B in the local town near by. No easy task when you consider it was Cheltenham Gold Cup week and the town was full. He is also the instructor for Mass and Balance and managed to point out a few of the silly mistakes that you should really know but commonly fall into.

Steve Francis the CGI is also the Met man. He quite literally parted the clouds for me and let the sun shine down on some of the parts which were a bit of a mystery. (He is the guy that put together the Oxford Met CD that we all have - if you dont believe me check the credits) Brilliant at explaining what you need to know and how you should go about the met exam.

John Hedges is the guy that took the mystery out of that black art which is performance. Simply outstanding. If Perf is still the thing that gets you, go and sit down with this guy, he will make it all look SO EASY. Which it can be if its explained correctly.

Pete Begley made the electric part of AGK a breeze (Not a trivial thing for an Airframe and Engine Licensed Engineer, we normally drag knuckles behind us)

Steve Tindle was the guy that firmed up the systems part of the AGK, This guy really know his stuff as well.

PGT has their initial residential course running just now with a couple of students and I think those guys must be getting the best teaching in the UK at present. If you want to stay in the UK and do a full residential course these are the guys you should be talking to. Small classes, great instructors, friendly attitudes. I cannot see past them.

All in all I cannot rate this school highly enough. The guys at PGT have a professional and friendly attitude, the best knowledge I have come across and will go out of their way to satisfy their customers.

Just a final note for the readers though! If you do go for a brush up course, make sure it is that! Know your stuff before you go in, remember its a refresher, not a lesson!

Thanks Guys. I will see you soon for the remaining subjects.

Spanner :ok:

Blinkz
23rd Mar 2005, 11:56
I've not done any work with PGT but I spoke to Steve at the Flyer show on saturday and was very impressed what he had to say. PGT are currently top of my list for groundschool, all i need to do now is pass my ppl lol.

What notes do PGT use? I heard they use bristols? is that true?

PGT
23rd Mar 2005, 12:45
Spanner

Many thanks for your comments, a pleasure. Blinkz, yes we do use Bristols notes, as do many schools throughout the world.

When we set up we had to make a decision on which notes to use, and we chose Bristols as the best for our purposes.

Regards and good luck

PGT Staff

Craggenmore
23rd Mar 2005, 13:49
I studied under all those Guys and would agree...

Craggs...

p.s. If you thought John "You the Pilot" Hedges was superb at Perf, check out Chris Perry. Zero to ATPL pass in 8 hours one Saturday afternoon.

Hedges was however the undisputed Engines king....killer smile too ;)

Busbo
23rd Mar 2005, 17:10
I've never been to PGT myself but I was taught by all the ex-Oxford guys at Oxford and would say without a doubt that they were the best (not to mention most entertaining) instructors there. I'm just glad I got my ground school done before they left. In terms of instructor ability I think they'd all be very hard to beat. Ask Steve if he's got any cool new gadgets!!

Maude Charlee
24th Mar 2005, 10:18
Can confirm they are all top blokes and extremely good instructors. Lots of guys out there who know their job, but are terrible instructors because they can't pass that knowledge on to the poor dumb animals in the classroom. Not these guys. OAT was always highly rated for its groundschool and not its flying, and these guys played a major part in that reputation. Be interested to see how the OAT rep stands up in the future - still some good blokes there, but for how much longer I wonder.

Ask Chris 'Crispy' Perry to tell you his human torch barbeque story sometime.:}

Spéir
27th Mar 2005, 18:33
Know nothing about PGT itself but just felt the need to mention that Steve Francis has to be one of the most attractive people anywhere in aviation - he just happens to be an excellent instructor as well - it takes skill to make Performance comprehendable and enjoyable!! Of course it does help if you're female .... or gay!

S;)

Alex Whittingham
28th Mar 2005, 08:31
At least one member of BA cabin crew would agree with you, Spéir, although I have to say he does nothing for me. As a general public service to his adoring fans, both female and male, here is a picture:

http://www.bristol.gs/download_files/SteveFrancis.jpg

...and he can teach Met, or so he says.

Maude Charlee
28th Mar 2005, 16:51
Congrats Steve - you're a gay icon!!!

Bet Geordie and the rest never let you hear the end of this one. :ok: :}

Subcutaneous
28th Mar 2005, 17:59
In reply to craggenmore check out link below. It appears Chris Perry also works on a part time basis for PGT. That is basically all of the Performance instructors from Oxford.
Chris perry, Steve is he gay Francis? ( I'm pretty sure he married an italian girl?) and John Hedges. Neither wonder everyone is praising them for their brush up courses.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157983&highlight=pgt

message posted by Steve Tindle on 6th January

Pete Begley
28th Mar 2005, 18:55
I dunno, Steve gets to marry an Italian, looks like Steed out of the Avengers film and is praised by the Gay Mafia and what's my claim to fame??

I sound like Baldrick, no seriously I do:O It's great when I'm doing warning and recording when TCAS says "Traffic Traffic" I turn to the class and say (as TCAS) "Don't worry about a thing Sir, I've got a cunning plan" :ok:

Starbbuck
28th Mar 2005, 20:30
I agree with Speir and Elixir. Is there an official Steve fan club I can join?!? Perhaps PGT need to set one up as part of their service to the aviation community.

Starbbuck:D

no-doz
29th Mar 2005, 10:33
Can anyone recommend a cheap B&B near PGT?

Cheers in advance. :ok:

FlyingSpanner
29th Mar 2005, 12:20
People! Please lets not lose sight of what this thread was meant to be about.

This post was intended to show how good the guys at PGT are at teaching. About how professional they are, their depth of knowledge and how efficiently they can impart that information in a clear and concise manor in a given timescale.

It IS NOT a popularity forum, nor a Steve Francis adoration / Gay Idol appreciation society. I am pretty sure that the guys there (including Steve) would prefer to be known for their teaching and professionalism rather than their sex object status. (Though I really cant see it myself!)

If you do think that he is Gods gift please by all means start another post, but please let those guys reputation be based on their abilities in this post rather than their physical attributes, or not! (Sorry Baldrick!)

On a seperate note, If you speak to Adrian about accomodation, he should be able to sort you something out with regards to your price range and traveling abilitues.

Regards

Pete Begley
29th Mar 2005, 16:55
No Doz check your pm's

..oh and anyone else looking for accom, ring Adrian 01285770923 or email [email protected] and he'll tell you what's available. There's local B&B type accom and Half Board 4 miles away.

Regards

PB

PS I really wouldn't mind being a sex object, but it clashes with my non-stop work ethic;)

PSYCOBFH
2nd Apr 2005, 08:44
2 mates of mine have recently done brush-up courses at PGT at Kemble.

THEY SAID;

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. It was a brilliant learning environment with excellent instructors. Fantastic value for money.

Big Piston head
5th Apr 2005, 10:09
I went there full-time after struggling at the Guildhall took the train from Paddington 1hr 15mins 3 days a week and passed my last 9 first time. They actually took me on an engineering walk round of the aircraft in BCT hanger. Now i'm on the combined CPL/ME IR BCT/Aerodynamics-malaga. In the sun. flying @1600

Air of Despair
6th Apr 2005, 08:38
I'd love to have been a fly on the OAT managerial wall when these guys handed in their notice.

I studied under most of them at OAT and they are all top instructors. I would question the standard of jokes, although Pete Begley's impression of a Hercules fire bell is something 'special'!

Lesson's will never be dull and I can guarantee you that these guys will find a way of getting you through the exams. If you have to go through the crap of the JAA's you may as well enjoy the ride.

A of D

Piltdown Man
6th Apr 2005, 14:53
The very best school is the one which you attend and then pass your exams afterwards - obviously! But the relationship between you and the lecturer is the most important one and maybe going for a "look see" might be worthwhile. However, from what I have heard to date, the vast majority of lecturers are very able chaps and therfore would place them on a par with each other and not be too worried about where you go.

FlyingSpanner
23rd Apr 2005, 09:39
Well this thread was started to tell people how good these guys were at teaching subjects. The investment for the brush up course in the subjects were validated as follows in the April exams:

Mass & Balance 100%
Airframe Systems 94%
Radio Navigation 92%
Meterology 90%
Performance 78% (A b'stard of an exam tis month as we all know)

I dont think I would have got anywhere near those marks, or a pass in perf if it was not for those guys.

Cheers Again Blokes.

wbryce
25th Apr 2005, 11:39
I sent PGT an email and received no reply, anyone know an email address that may be checked/working?

PGT
25th Apr 2005, 12:26
wbryce,

Sorry we have missed your email, you can try us at [email protected] or [email protected]
Or you can send us a Private Message

Regards

Steve Francis
CGI