PDA

View Full Version : World Water Day

Onan the Clumsy
22nd Mar 2005, 23:48
That explains Google's (http://www.google.com) special first screen.

Windy Militant
23rd Mar 2005, 08:12
Did anybody else hear the Water companies mouthpiece on the BBC Radio news yesterday saying that water was not a renewable resource!

I reckon that there's a conspiracy between the water supply companies and the purveyors of bottled water. That's why we're being told that there's a water shortage and we'll have to have a hosepipe ban, they're hoarding the stuff away so we'll have to pay through the nose for the stuff!

So what we have to do now is find out where they've got the stash and liberate it for the common good.

One last thought, if mineral water is thousands of years old, why do they have a best before date on the bottle? :confused:

IFTB
23rd Mar 2005, 08:27
Article on the BEEB site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4373205.stm) (THANK YOU, UK LICENSE FEE PAYERS! :ok: )
about using tap water instead of, the fashionable, bottled water.

Half of the capital's water is pumped from the rivers Seine and Marne. :uhoh: ever seen the state of the Seine upstream of Paris? :yuk: :yuk:

Mr Bre,, I'm only a "tourist". Your invaluable contribution please!

Windy Militant
It's the plastic bottle expiration date.

Windy Militant
23rd Mar 2005, 09:05
It's the plastic bottle expiration date.

Hmm I hadn't thought of that. Thanks IFTB that's one thing less to keep me awake at night! :ok:

Firestorm
23rd Mar 2005, 11:52
World water day? Are you taking the p*55? :D It passed me by :O

Burnt Fishtrousers
23rd Mar 2005, 12:07
Well where I live, the waters passed through 7 Bristolians before i get it.If thats not renewable I dont know what is. The chairman of Wessex Water obviously needs his New Range Rover (personal plate H20 WSX) changing for a new upmarket one based on the hike in water rates lately.Bunch of lying cheating ba*****s all of em.

As long as there is always the sea and evaporation occurs and it rains, water will always be there ...What the hell does the spoksperson t*at think those fluffy white things in the sky are.... cotton wool!

Anyway with global warming, warmer air can carry more moisture so there is a likelyhood of more precipitation, so what excuse are water company bosses going to come out with to hike prices as we start putting out the sand bags

Onan the Clumsy
23rd Mar 2005, 12:47
Regarding using tap water instead of bottled, the creation and disposal of millions of plastic bottles every day is a major environmental problem.

I have started using botled and a cup of tea tastes totally different (understandably). However, I use the refillable five gallon jugs from Home Depot.

IFTB
23rd Mar 2005, 12:50
five gallon jugs
Does Helga work at Home Depot?

tony draper
23rd Mar 2005, 13:15
We have more water than we can shake a stick at up here, due to Kielder reservoir being redundant the moment they filled the buggah up, still it stops us needing hosepipe bans and the ducks like it.
:rolleyes:
One doesn't know how true the story is, but tiz said that some pinstriped oaf in the civil service got a bit of graphpaper and drew a line extraperlating how much water would be required for power stations and such when all the poor folks in the North could afford to buy washing machines fridges tellys and other heavy juice users.
Then along came the transistor and blew the calculations to pot, but by then Kilder Water was half dug so they finished it.

Pssst you southeners wanna buy some water??

Evening Star
23rd Mar 2005, 13:57
Total estimated water in the world is 1,400,000,000 km3, but of that only water only approximately 90,000 km3 (0.006% of total global water) is nominally usable water (that is available as fresh surface water or accessible ground water). Figures, by the way, calculated by Igor Shiklomanov at the State Hydrological Institute in St Petersburg on behalf of the United Nations on what must have been a boring day for him. Now 90,000 km3 shared out between a rapidly increasing world population is not a lot each, especially where the 90,000 km3 includes the stuff we are polluting, have polluted or otherwise rendered unusable (like over pumping ground water near a coast and drawing brine into the ground water). So while 'not a renewable resource' is technically incorrect, in a way the spirit of the statement is accurate in that we have so little it is best not to spoil what we have.

Obvious greed of some private UK water companies does not help the cause. However, there are plenty of other examples of problems elsewhere in the world. Expectation is there will be a 'water war' in the near future (unless one counts Israel and Palestine, where the land issue may be better seen as who gets to pump the water). Hot money is on Turkey and Syria. Turkey's Ataturk Dam is reducing the water supply into Syria from the River Euphates, Syria is thereby not happy and threatens ‘action’. Complication is that Turkey is a NATO member and Syria is not flavour of the month, so if Syria so much as spits at Turkey, it gives the USA in the guise of NATO an opportunity for another sandpit fight.

Bottled water is a con where the tap water is generally safe. Make that most of Europe and North America. The expiry date is to make sure you drink the water before it goes stagnant because the bottled stuff does not have the residual chlorine protection that one gets with mains water.

Issue in the UK is that if we do not address water problems within the next ten years or so we will need another Kielder size reservoir in the south east of England. The word is that there is a valley in Essex that is on the short list to get it. Hear the nimby's scream already. Alternative is a process called ASR, which involves pumping sewage into the chalk around London and then pumping it out later to supply London. In a way, the idea of supplying London with sewage rather appeals.

By the way TD, the water from Kielder is already being sold south. Gets exported to the River's Wear and Tees to supply Sunderland and Middlesborough (should be signs in the toilets around Kielder saying, 'Do your best, Sunderland needs the water'), plus tankered further south during droughts. Situation as of today is that we can expect tanker operation this summer unless the UK has an exceptionally wet spring.

tony draper
23rd Mar 2005, 14:16
Bloody hell!!,lets hope the water level in Kielder be high right now, Easter weekend is when all Sunderland folks have their annual bath.

lasernigel
23rd Mar 2005, 14:16
Lived in Kuwait and Oman where they use desalination plants.Strange this Britain,this island nation ain't bothered having one.:confused:

tony draper
23rd Mar 2005, 14:19
We do not lack water Mr Lazer we lack water storage facilities, most of it just runs away to the ogan, as previously stated we need a few more Kielders,but nobody wants their village 100 feet underwater.
:cool:

MikeKnight
23rd Mar 2005, 14:21
How can environmentalists say we are due for a water shortage when they are also saying the polar caps are melting?

talk about the left hand not knowing about the right hand.

Evening Star
23rd Mar 2005, 16:19
Easter weekend is when all Sunderland folks have their annual bath

They bathe?

desalination plants.Strange this Britain,this island nation ain't bothered having one

We have a few. Main problem is energy costs on current technology. There is an alternative using thin film technology, and then we are talking capital cost. No win either way!

water shortage when they are also saying the polar caps are melting

Melts into the sea and becomes seawater and thus the unusable 99.004% unless we can find the energy. No help there either. Some of us working with the environment allow ourselves the luxury of joined up thinking. Do not let the hysterical loonies distract your thinking.

Standard Noise
23rd Mar 2005, 16:32
What I want to know is, why they privatised the water industry in the first place (and yes I know the obvious answer). If it had been kept under 'state' control and people were charged, then all the money collected could have been used to upgrade the system and explore other means of 'making' water ie desalination plants. As it is, the shareholders and chief execs have had a large drink or two over the years and now they tell us that water bills may rise by 20-30% in the next few years to pay for investment to maintain and upgrade our "outdated and creaking system".

World water day my arse, how about "give me some of my hard earned cash back rather than lining the water companies' shareholders' pockets" day. Robbing [email protected]:mad: