PDA

View Full Version : Accessing internet sites - is it the router?

undertheweather
22nd Mar 2005, 21:07
I have BT broadband (here in the UK) and everything worked fine until about a month ago when I changed to a wireless modem-router (Netgear DG834G). The modem is hardwired into my desktop, while the wife uses the wireless capability with her laptop.

The problem is with my desktop PC (the laptop does not seem to suffer from the same problem). For some reason, I am now having great difficulty at times connecting to pages on the internet. I use Internet Explorer Version 6. The basic connection seems fine, but often when I click on a site (one of my favourites, for instance) it comes up with the following page:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Usually if I click again on the link (or again, and again) the site might come up, but it is intensely annoying, especially as it wasn't like this before.

Has anyone any ideas? Are there some settings I can change? I've tried playing with the router settings, the Internet Explorer settings and various other things but nothing works.

Interestingly enough, in our second house we have also installed the same wireless router on the computer there, but it doesn't seem to suffer from the same problems.

Lost_luggage34
22nd Mar 2005, 21:10
Let's see some traceroutes from your Machine to the destination website(s).

Confirm my suspicions !

undertheweather
22nd Mar 2005, 23:14
Lost_Luggage34
You will have to tell me how to get hold of 'traceroutes'

Mike
My ISP is BT. I have tried their helpline. They will not touch/support any hardware not supplied by them. I also clear my Temporary Internet files cache regularly

Specaircrew
23rd Mar 2005, 07:28
I suggest you run Spybot(free) or a similar adware zapping program as not being able to access websites is often a symptom of an infected PC

undertheweather
23rd Mar 2005, 08:58
I run a program called Ad-Aware every couple of weeks, so I don't think that is the problem.

I may be struggling to explain my problem properly as I'm not totally au-fait with computer jargon.

I can access websites, its just that it can take several clicks on the link to get there. Its as if its timing out after a couple of seconds. It tries to get there, but defaults after a couple of seconds to the 'this page is not available' page. A second, or third, click often does the trick.

Sometimes, however, it just won't access the page. Ten minutes later I might be successful.

mikedurward
23rd Mar 2005, 11:55
Hiya UTW

I have the same problem with my Netgear sometimes.

Check you have the latest firmware installed. Also I your ISP does not give you a static IP then this can be caused by lease renewal.

I clear the problem by rebooting the router maybe one a week.

Mike

TheStormyPetrel
23rd Mar 2005, 14:05
From someone who is not a computer expert, just a general user, perhaps my experience will help.

I had similar problems, usually with my favourite sites (pprune and my home page) and I had to reset my router. For me that was turning it off at a reset switch, waiting 10 seconds then turning it on. The sites would work again then for awhile.

Eventually we replaced the router.

I guess this is a bandaid offering, rather than a real answer.

Good luck.

jb.murdstone
23rd Mar 2005, 14:51
Sometimes have the same problem and have found that rebooting the router cures it.

My setup sounds similar to yours and is to go to 192.168.0.1 - if your password is already saved make sure, at this point, you have a hard copy of it to hand- go to diagnostics and then click on re-boot.

May help

Pleeese, make sure you know your p/word or you'll be really scuppered when it reboots and then asks you for it.:{ :{

Whossat Forrus
25th Mar 2005, 18:57
Before you try any of the above tips (good ones they are too) you must lower the MTU of your pc to less than 1400. Download DRTCP and use it to alter the settings. There is a netgear bulletin board with many top bits of advice

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/

Well worth a look.

Best of British, took me a week of hard graft but the results for speed and stability are spectacular.

Just to narrow it down a bit

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=467e0adc84f3b018e272c748223e1317

Let us know how you get on or if you find out anything interesting