PDA

View Full Version : Atlas trays-plastic or metal?

GARDENER
22nd Mar 2005, 19:54
Yes strange question I know. So as to not bore you with too much detail, I am a qualified commercial pilot but unemployed in this field so last year set up a company sourcing goods from the Far East. (www.anglosino.co.uk for more about the co.) I have been requested by an airline to source atlas trays (plastic) the ones that go in the drinks trollies, hold the mins etc. Sourcing has been done but in order to maximise potential with this line I would like to know which airlines use plastic, which use metal or which use a mix. Airlines can be big or small UK or foreign, charter, schedule you name it. Replies either on the forum or to [email protected] Many thanks in advance

UFGBOY
23rd Mar 2005, 09:33
Check your pms!

ditzyboy
23rd Mar 2005, 10:13
METAL FOR SURE!

The plastic ones are quite dangerous. The plastic handle breaks and I have seen some quite nasty injuries due to ones skin getting pinched, cut. Once broken the plastic one is (or should be!) unuseable.

Also the plastic ones will get scratched quite badly over time and it looks unprofessional and makes the drawer look unclean.

I cannot think about the downside to having metal ones... Perhaps initial cost may be more but I am confident that it would be far outweighed through extended durability.

This thread is quite bizarre... I was only whinging about plastic Atlas drawers yesterday!

GARDENER
23rd Mar 2005, 13:04
Thanks so far, my question really is which airlines use which trays. So where possible can you list your airline with the type of tray used. Basically with everything it comes down to cost, I agree having worked in a catering department and bond, metal are by far better from the users perspective but they cost about 5 or 6 times as much! We are having PP trays made for the particular airline we are dealing with and having additives put in to strengthen the plastic. I have seen some pretty poor examples in my time made of various brittle plastics so hopefully these will be better. On the other hand we are also working on metal ones with the hope of offering these at a significant saving compared to current manufacturers. As suggested airlines and trays used would be very helpful to me. Once again thanks.

TSSOV
23rd Mar 2005, 22:32
QF use plastic ones. (I have always called them "Standard Units".)

I would prefer the plastic ones because then I can see in... well at least the front.