PDA

View Full Version : Why when you read loads of posts do you feel you know someone ?

Lost_luggage34
22nd Mar 2005, 19:23
Well I do sometimes ... perhaps I should find something better to do ....

Comments please.

acbus1
22nd Mar 2005, 19:30
Who the h£ll are you? :confused:

Jerricho
22nd Mar 2005, 19:34
I'm sure there could be some tree hugging, psycho-mumbojumbo word for it.

flowman
22nd Mar 2005, 19:38
Bloody good question I think.
I suppose its the same reason that if you have a conversation with someone, or hear them interact with other people, you learn something about them.
You just don't know I'm a pig ugly dwarf with a hump and I permanently have one finger up my nose and fart profusely.
But that shouldn't make a difference should it?

tony draper
22nd Mar 2005, 19:57
Ah! you work for the EU then Mr flowman?
:rolleyes:

flowman
22nd Mar 2005, 20:01
No, how dare you. I'm not French.
Who the **** are you anyway?

tony draper
22nd Mar 2005, 20:06
Apologies Mr F, just that your description fits the profile of a EU Commisioner.

tart1
22nd Mar 2005, 20:12
What, because he farts a lot?? :rolleyes:

flowman
22nd Mar 2005, 20:27
No offence taken.
Can be a bit risky being mistaken for an EU type in these parts.
Tart1, you sound like the kind of woman that would go for a bit of earthy flatulence and not be so superficial as to ignore a chap just because he only came up to your chest and had a minor skin complaint. Gawd bless yer ma'am.

tart1
22nd Mar 2005, 20:29
Yes, you could be describing my dream man there and I'm not too fussed whether the complaint is minor or major really :} :}

tony draper
22nd Mar 2005, 20:29
One liked the description of Motzart

"A short ugly composer who farts a lot,

As opposed to a Andrew LLoyd Webber "

"A short ugly fart who composes a lot"

IB4138
22nd Mar 2005, 21:15
A great pitty Andrew Lloyd Webber doesn't decompose a lot.

I find his works to be:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

UL730
22nd Mar 2005, 21:17
Mr Flowman

I'm a pig ugly dwarf with a hump
Not exactly certain if this young lady will accept an eighth partner but I understand she has a predilection for the vertically challenged. I would suggest you leave the matter of olfactory preferences until you are comfortable in a secure relationship. Intestinal gas is such a subjective matter one would need to expand cautiously on this theme.

http://www.babesandstuff.com/forum/images/smilies/fart.gif

http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t040/T040448A.jpg

But that shouldn't make a difference should it?

It could

:E

flowman
22nd Mar 2005, 21:53
I might be ugly but I'm fussy.
That bird looks a bit too much like Kelly Osbourne for my liking.
:yuk:

acbus1
23rd Mar 2005, 07:09
That bird? :confused:

BlueDiamond
23rd Mar 2005, 07:39
I think it's possible to form at least a reasonable assessment of character based on several postings. Sometimes people even give straight information about themselves which helps to form a picture. They might say they have a powerful car, that they are divorced, that they are a teacher, that they dislike animals but like fine art, that they enjoy collecting shells or antique furniture but don't like going out to the movies ... all little clues to a personality that, if you follow that person's posts, will build up a picture.

Also, the way people express themselves will indicate some aspects of their personality. Those who lose control of themselves easily will often write an almost incoherent, raging reply full of spelling and syntactical errors, the words of which are frequently so jumbled that it is difficult to make sense of them. Others can indicate anger by express it in a colder, more calculating way while some will write a more measured, careful response designed to try and calm the ruffled waters.

Some are very quick to bite as soon as the hook is lowered while others never respond to wind-ups. Some will post on subjects of questionable taste or post risqué jokes. Some appear very juvenile in their outlook and others more mature.

If you do a search on any poster, I believe that you could get a very fair idea of their personality by looking at such clues. Some folk never give personal information about themselves though but perhaps that is also a clue in itself.

HandspringGuy
23rd Mar 2005, 09:18
I suppose it is a bit like that tosh, Big Brother...people start to believe they know them too :ooh:

no, no, no
23rd Mar 2005, 17:59
I think people open up a lot more though on forums so you can get a good idea - if no-one knows you that is. Depends if they are honest or not though!!! Some people maybe have more confidence with people not knowing who they are. There was that thread a couple of weeks back or something for example where a guy opened up on pprune about what size his package was and was open to ask if it was normal - if it didn't stack up - can you imagine someone doing that if people knew who they were!!!!! (That thread seemed to just disappear one night - maybe he realised he was shy after all!!)

But it still amazes me that you think you know someone by talking to them on email or phone, yet when you meet them they appear nothing like you imagined!!!

Onan the Clumsy
23rd Mar 2005, 18:10
Some appear very juvenile in their outlook :}

finfly1
23rd Mar 2005, 18:22
Because, as BD stated above, you in fact DO.

It has been my very good fortune to meet in person about forty or so members of this and a few other forums. In almost every case, my preconception of what the person would turn out to be like has been borne out.

It is, of course, possible to create a totally ficticious personality and persona via the internet, but my limited experience has led me to believe that those who are attracted to or attached to the aviation industry for one reason or another, do not usually fall into that category. Perhaps it is because their 'real' lives do not leave huge voids to be filled by make believe.

Jerricho
23rd Mar 2005, 19:12
possible to create a totally ficticious personality and persona via the internet,

Like pretending to be a female :E

acbus1
23rd Mar 2005, 19:19
.....those who are attracted to or attached to the aviation industry......

........their 'real' lives do not leave huge voids to be filled by make believe.
Uuuh urrrr!(sp) :rolleyes:

In my experience, the industry attracts some of the wierdest, most misfitting, maladjusted, make-believe-inclined people I've had the misfortune to meet in my entire life. :uhoh:

FWIW. :}

Paterbrat
23rd Mar 2005, 20:11
Would have to agree with Blue Diamonds perceptive assesment of the thread title. A lot of info is trickled out some quite unintentionaly. I think some of us would be surprised at the accuracy of a profile that might be built up from submissions here.

Onan the Clumsy
23rd Mar 2005, 20:55
In my experience, the industry attracts some of the wierdest, most misfitting, maladjusted, make-believe-inclined people I've had the misfortune to meet in my entire life. Nah. That would be IT :8

...unless of course you meant aviation management

Loose rivets
24th Mar 2005, 06:29
Late at night with me last scotch, I oft wonder what some of the contributors are like. Why not allow participating ppruners the option of being profiled.

One condition would be that the victim would not have to react angrily, and answer yes or no truthfully. := Err, that's two. Two conditions would have to be..............