PDA

View Full Version : Advice ... career change?

shortstripper
22nd Mar 2005, 18:06
Hi All,

Just trying to sound things out with this post.

I'm looking to get out of my present job in farming before I hit 50 and arthritis sets in (ho hum! :ugh: doesn't it creep up on you?). I'm 40 now but with a family to feed I can't afford a reduction in wages just yet. I've been flying in one way or another since I was 16 and my heart really wants me to get a CPL + FIR and instruct, banner tow, do pleasure flights whatever. However, as a couple of flying friends have been only to keen to point out ... it's an awful lot of money to spend out to get a CPL and FIR for get a tiny wage at 50, even if the kids have all left home (actually the youngest will be only 14 by then). They also both reckon I should look at the engineering side, which does have some merit.

I've been tinkering with gliders and aeroplanes almost as long as I've been flying them, I've part built two PFA aeroplanes, have nearly finished converting a glider to a motor glider and will hopefully finish a scratch built VP2 within a year ... or two. I've worked as an agricultural engineer and rebuilt cars, tractors engines ect ect over the years, so I have a good mechanical grounding, but no engineering qualifications. Looking at the CAA website it appears that all the aircraft engineering qualifications are aimed at airline work and require college, and/or long spells working in the trade. I'm only really interested in light aviation and could see myself happily fixing PFA types, recovering, rebuilding smaller engines ect. So? ... Is there any other way in? With the flying, I can at least train as I go along working in my every day job. It might be expensive, but it is possible. Can the same be said of engineering? Are there, correspondence courses, simple aircraft maintenance qualifications? ...

Any ideas or advice would be gratefully received.

I might sound a bit naive but the engineering side of aviation had never occurred to me as a way to be around aeroplanes, fly a little and earn "some" money.

SS

PS ... Before anyone says "stick to farming" ... have you tried it? :suspect:

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Mar 2005, 20:54
There is a large market for people prepared to do maintenance, particularly engine maintenance on homebuilt and microlight aeroplanes - if you can get on Rotax and Jabiru courses, set a reasonable workshop up, and not mind travelling to people (a good van helps) there's a living to be made - not necessarily spectacular, but it's there.

Or turn your farm into an airfield?

G

shortstripper
23rd Mar 2005, 06:10
If it was my farm I would happily stay farming :p Unfortunately I just work on it :\

Do you not need paper qualifications to do what you say though Gengis?

SS

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Mar 2005, 06:12
Technically no, just having completed those courses should do - obviously the more the better.

Realistically however, presumably you are a PFA member - so speak to Ken Cragie about what you need to do to become a PFA inspector. Also, since they have about the same number of aeroplanes, and the technology and market is pretty much the same, you'd do well to join the BMAA and also try and become a BMAA inspector.

G

shortstripper
23rd Mar 2005, 06:55
Thanks Gengis,

All food for thought ... I'll look into joining the BMAA. :D

SS

glum
10th Apr 2005, 05:55
From what I've seen most aircraft work is carried out by unqualified workers, then inspected and signed off by licensed engineers.

Are there any airfields near you that you could approach for work?

shortstripper
12th Apr 2005, 12:41
Yes ... but I'm in no position to take a next to no payed job at the moment. I'm really looking 5-10 years down the line and trying to figure how best to go about it and what is required.

Thanks though

Ivan

glum
13th Apr 2005, 06:01
I wouldn't call £10 to £15 an hour 'next to no money'.

Maybe farming is more lucrative than I thought!

shortstripper
13th Apr 2005, 20:41
Is that what an unqualified fitter gets? Blimey! and you lot are all complaining? (joking fellas)

Well I do earn less than that for sure, but I do between 60 - 80 hrs a week so make it up ... and get a free (very nice) house thrown in. I'd love to change right now, but with 5 kids to keep and a house tied to a job it's really not an easy thing to do :ugh:

SS