PDA

View Full Version : 18 year old starts his own airline

airhumberside
21st Mar 2005, 18:11
New airline offering twice daily Cambridge to Oxford flights Monday to Friday. Aircraft supplies by Air Med

lowfaresbuster
21st Mar 2005, 18:26
wow, it's been set up by an 18 year old- press release (http://www.flyalpha1.com/news0001.htm)

would it work better as a shuttle/taxi than a scheduled?

huggybear
21st Mar 2005, 21:23
I was involved in helping to get the project off the ground, although I'm no longer working at the airline. I have to say that despite the fact he' only 18, Martin Halstead knows how to run a very tight ship and is way ahead of his years. We can certainly expect great things from both the airline and the individual.

Watch out for these guys because they really have got it together. Heard rumours of possible route expansion as soon as May!

david_wilding
21st Mar 2005, 21:57
Martin Halstead was the previous owner of the virtual airline Elation Airways, the best virtual airline previously in operation!!

He operated that incredibly well, and has always had the dream of starting the airline. I wish the best of luck to him!

Oshkosh George
21st Mar 2005, 22:00
More facts here,from the horses mouth,so to speak!----------------

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=40094

TwinAisle
22nd Mar 2005, 09:46
... but this isn't really an airline, is it?

Quote from the website - "Alpha1 Airways is a ticket provider for AirMed"

If this is an airline, so is Lunn Poly....

TA

BPL321
22nd Mar 2005, 11:00
I must say for an 18 year old thats impressive based on what Ive read in the previous posts but lets be honest here. The person has either been spoon fed(not actually the persons own money or expertise) or cash windfall from somewhere. Must put the lottery on tomorrow night.

Good luck to this person but I'm sure many of us could set an operation up like this if money was not an issue. For the vast majority its earn the money yourself and live in the real world.

Danny_R
22nd Mar 2005, 12:52
Difference being, he's had the courage to start it! Plus, so what if it's not his own money, obviously shows he is a capable young man by getting people to back his idea regardless of age or experience.

As far as it not being a real airline, I'm sure if it works out they will go down the AOC route soon enough! Most people/companies start at the bottom and work their way up in life!

How about we show a bit of support, instead of criticizing before it’s even got into the air?

BPL321
22nd Mar 2005, 13:16
Courage? If you knew me you would know I have that but unfortunately I live in the real world where things are not so simple.

I'm sure its very easy for someone with loads and loads of money to say you can accomplish anything if you put your mind to it but lets see if half these people would have got where they were without rich mummies or daddies.

Nobody will have backed his idea, someone would have fronted it for him, thats all he has, an idea, not security to finance his little empire.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he does well I'm just trying to get across the point that if we were all spoon fed and all we had to do was think of an idea then we wouldnt be doing what were doing.

huggybear
22nd Mar 2005, 13:25
As I said earlier, I worked with Mr Halstead during the start up. Every single penny has come from him, not his mother, not his father. The majority of the money was raised when he sold his former business, Ematch Simulations in August last year.

Martin's background does him a lot of credit, he is a young chap who has totally built all he has up from the ground by himself. His family are nowhere near rich, in fact, I'm sure he won't mind me saying that they struggled to get by when he was younger.

Make no mistake, Martin is no Daddy's boy, he has built this up single handedly and deserves all our respect for that.

EDIT: I'd also like to add, Martin hasn't been spoon fed, he really knows what he's doing and all the ideas were his own. All of us that have worked with him have been amazed and taken aback by the level of maturity he has shown. Don't let his age kid you!

BPL321
22nd Mar 2005, 13:32
Fair enough. Anyway more important things to worry about without giving this company free advertising.

Dude~
22nd Mar 2005, 14:13
According to the website they fly "Relax in the knowledge that you are being flown by some of the best pilots in the industry in one of the most popular and safest aircraft ever built."

I wonder what source was used to determine that the CHieftain is one of the most popular aircraft ever built?!

Safest? That's not my impression of the Chieftain! Anyone know its single engine MAUW climb rate?

U/S President
22nd Mar 2005, 14:40
TwinAisle:“but this isn't really an airline, is it? ...‘Alpha1 Airways is a ticket provider for AirMed’”
During its first 23 months of operations, all easyJet flights were actually operated by GB Airways and Air Foyle.

EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B
22nd Mar 2005, 16:19
Richard Brandston started working in his own record shop and wokrd his way up, you cant start at the top and stay there. Best of luck to Martin and his airline.

Big Hilly
22nd Mar 2005, 16:23
From the BBC News web-site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/4371945.stm)

BH

Final 3 Greens
22nd Mar 2005, 17:06
Anyone know its single engine MAUW climb rate? PA31-310 (so not the Cheiftain) is circa 350fpm, flown well.

Guess this relates to about 200 feet per NM, can't remember Vyse, the last time I flew one was in 1996.

Kakpipe Cosmonaut
22nd Mar 2005, 18:04
Good luck to him. I wish him every success.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/oxfordshire/4371945.stm

four_two
22nd Mar 2005, 19:40
After reading the article I have to say that I don't think I'm ready for another Richard Branson right now.

No comment
22nd Mar 2005, 19:52
I've got a funny feeling he's probably onto something good there...

Bluebaron
22nd Mar 2005, 19:56
who commutes from oxford to cambridge?

what about oxford to gatwick (redhill/biggin/london city)?

any more?

BB :cool:

FORKINELL
22nd Mar 2005, 19:59
Hey Kakpipe, I thought You were too busy avoiding polar bears in Labrador to know what was going on in Blighty :E

PS
Elvis the Moosehunter sends his regards:ok:

Kakpipe Cosmonaut
22nd Mar 2005, 20:55
FORKINELL,
Ah! the wonders of the information super-highway!
So many mooses, only one kakpipe, Damn they're good-looking!
Give my regards to the King of Rock 'n' Roll and Light Aviation and get him to pm me
Cheers
Kakpipe

Rollingthunder
22nd Mar 2005, 21:17
It will be interesting to see what his loads are like. It's true the other transportation links between the cities are not very good. Unfortunately Oxford airport is not very convenient unless you live close by.

I have often wished for a Heathrow - Oxford commuter service but realized it wasn't practical. The bus is not bad but very boring.

Machdiamond
22nd Mar 2005, 21:53
http://www.flyalpha1.com/

Check "About us" to see the connection with Air Med.

--Machdiamond

Kakpipe Cosmonaut
22nd Mar 2005, 22:10
I have always wondered what the viability is of using Northolt as a commuter feeder for LHR. Maybe an ambitious, young entrepreneur like this guy could make it work!

Fried_Chicken
22nd Mar 2005, 22:27
Northolt is only allowed so many landings & departures (of civil flights, no restriction on the number of Military flights) per year, due to this, its very expensive to operate into, hence only people with nice expensive bizjets use it.

Biggin is a possibilty but isn't there some clause with the local council that no scheduled passenger operations are allowed there?

London City is expensive to operate into (although Air Med does have the paperwork to allow them to operate flights into there) & the problem with Gatwick/Heathrow is obtaining slots

Fried Chicken

Kakpipe Cosmonaut
22nd Mar 2005, 22:31
What about Farnborough?
I'm living up in Scotland so my knowledge of these thing is alittle vague.

Vee One...Rotate
22nd Mar 2005, 22:48
Crikey. Impressive stuff - got to admire him.

Good luck is what I say :ok:

V1R

Pilot Pete
22nd Mar 2005, 23:18
So does he have an AOC in place then? Interesting story, with a planned start date that would imply he has most of the red tape sorted..........

PP

Wee Weasley Welshman
22nd Mar 2005, 23:50
What a load of Arse. Shouldn't say it - as a Mod but, hells teeth, someone should take that teenager and subject him to a damn good episode of pro-active shaking...

Or is it just me?

:)

Bigwings
23rd Mar 2005, 00:19
No, not just you WWW, but I'm pleased you said it first. Whilst I wish anyone in this world good luck in a business venture if thay have the b@lls to try it, this really does smack of the silver spoon

Flameproof suit on and extinguisher at the ready.

Bigwings :yuk:

Finals19
23rd Mar 2005, 00:45
On a VG equipped Chieftain...

VYSE 107kts
VMCA 72kts...

MTOW: 7368Ibs

SE Climb rate, ISA conditions at MTOW approx 230FPM, assumes gear and flaps up, cowls closed and 5 deg bank into live engine.

galaxy flyer
23rd Mar 2005, 00:55
May as well get it out of his system now, while he's young. Lord knows, enough people have lost enough money trying to start an airline. This should cure 'em.

GF

SkyCruiser
23rd Mar 2005, 02:17
BLP321,

Wind your neck in mate. This lad has started this by himself and not daddy’s money. Why can't we give someone some encouragement rather than trying put people down all the time?

Are you struggling to find employment?????

SkyCruiser
23rd Mar 2005, 07:26
Guys,

Quit your bitching.

This guy used his own money from a business he sold and some inheritance cash.
I wish him luck and it's a shame you have to always take a negative stance on any new venture.

WWW, as a moderator, trying sitting on the fence a little longer pal.

Stan Sted
23rd Mar 2005, 07:45
Long serving P-PRUNERs may see similarities in this venture to those Walter-Mittyish start-ups planned by The Guvnor.
A fully-detailed website, pictures of aircraft in company livery, invitations to pilots to join, proposals for future growth etc. etc.
But this lad does seem to have the backing of Oxford airport and is starting in a very modest way.
Look at the website: all he is offering initially is an eight seater twin for return trips between Oxford to Cambridge in the morning and similar return trips in the late afternoon. Unlike the Guv with his plans for a fleet of 24 L1011s and bases around the world.
Seems that young Alpha1 has been planning his airline for some time. Read what he has to say at this site

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=40094

BoeingMEL
23rd Mar 2005, 07:54
The level of support and goodwill in the forum is warming but looking at the likely overheads, DOCs, sectors, fares and even allowing high load factors make worrying reading. Hopefully the intention to add other destinations will improve the fiscal potential. Good luck neverthess. bm

poor southerner
23rd Mar 2005, 07:58
Ok here's my view as a person who also started in business at school and now have 15 years of ups and downs, resulting in a strong and profitable business build up over the past 4 years.

The plus points:
The whole 18 year old thing is good for PR and will get an edge to start with. Just like RB (who I admit is a clever, at times man, but I don't like for the way he treated some people) free publicity is always the best publicity.
Also the route could be a niche and there are no competitors flying it.
Being a 'ticket agent' rather than a true airline, will lower starting costs / risks and should ensure the black bottom line sooner rather than later.
The negative points:
With my 15 years of experience, my gut feeling from reading his posts and press releases is '18 years old dreamer heading for a rude awakening' (notice I didn't go as far as say big fall). Why ? well there is only one real reason to be in business on this planet and that is to make a profit. That mentalilty must always be at the fore, and reasoning must always come back to this. To do this yes you need to grow a business, but not expand wildly. I now regard growth and expantion as two different animals.
To see what I mean just look at his words. The plane hasn't left the ground and not a single penny made in profit, yet he already states that larger aircraft are being considered, B1900, J31 etc.
That tells me he's dreaming of future and not fixed on profit.
Well I may not have explained well enough but thats the gut feeling with 15 years behind me and I admit I made a mistake in the past dreaming of the big picture and not looking at the profit.
Other neg. I don't know the market well enough but what stares in the face is. Why did airmed, who own the aircraft, crews, AOC etc look at this over the past year or so only to decide they couldn't give it a go without the right 'marketing partner' Surely if the business case was that clear they would be doing it now.
That just doesn't stack up for me.

But I would like to wish him luck and hope it is a success. I also hope he steps back and looks at the profit before his dreams and various finance agreements on aircraft etc put a blot on his young business life.

Zones
23rd Mar 2005, 08:10
Why not? Just because he's 18. He can do almost anything else in this world, so why not an airline? And who cares where he got funding from, as long as its legal? You think that every airline start up is funded by the bloke heading it up? Almost every funding method requires the input from someone elses pot. Seems this kid might even be more genuine in that this is his money... and surely you pilots should only applaud creation of more jobs, especially at the entry level this outfit will support?

BTW - Stan, even the Guv had public support of Prestwick management, even if he did dupe them like everyone else!! Is he still locked up? Hope so..... (off thread, sorry...)

ALLDAYDELI
23rd Mar 2005, 08:10
Farnborough is too far out west. Need a highspeed non stop rail link to London to make this work. M3 too unreliable.

Zulu
23rd Mar 2005, 08:11
Hmmmm....but if he had called himself "Now", planned to operate out of Luton instead of Oxford, with B737s instead of PA31s, you'd all be queing up to condemn him...

High Wing Drifter
23rd Mar 2005, 08:25
In response to a posting in the Wannabe forum from somebody with similar aspirations, amongst the down doers I recall Alex Whittingham's reply of "Faint hearts don't win fair maidens."

Best of luck to the lad, although luck probably has very little to do with success.

:ok:

headyheights
23rd Mar 2005, 08:46
I am appauled at a few of you. Especially you WEE WESLEY WELSHMAN. Why does this guy need to be subjected to some pro-active shaking. I think starting an airline is very pro-active don't you.

I can't see what the guy has done wrong. I myself am young (23) and I've founded and still run my own aviation based company that is now very successful - I still fly professionally. Every where I go I get labled as a rich kid that had hand outs from my parents. My parents don't have any money never did, I paid for all my training by running my first business and have bloody worked hard at it. Pretty much 16hrs a day for the last five years. Never had a holiday in that time! Maybe you need to look at Alpha 1 airways with a bit more respect.

You are typical of a synical employee who expects his boss to spoon feed him with opotunities - good luck to this guy for creating his own oportunities. I see you live in Cheltenham which is where I currently live, I hope I never have to speak with you face to face.

I think Alpha 1 Airways has a sound business model, yes the margins are small but providing there is enough working capital to cover the initial shortfall in payload and there is a favourable lease with Airmed then it just might work.

Come on guys, you of all people know what its like to work hard towards something and should know that it is wrong to put someone down just because they are giving it a go - and a bloody good one in this case.

I'm sure back in the days when you all needed hours you wouldn't have poo-pooed him enough to ask for a job!

Good on the guy - I wish him luck.

Wee Weasley Welshman
23rd Mar 2005, 08:58
"several business plans were considered ranging from air taxi firms to a Transatlantic airline operating from Scotland. "

From an 18yr old who has worked in aviation since he was 14 no less.

And he hasn't created a damn thing. He is marketing a service operated by Air Med. Largely by using the mildly intriguing but wholly inaccurate proposition of having founded an airline at the age of 18.

Other than a nice website and a profitable 0870 telephone number I fail to see what has actually been created.

Naturally I wish him good luck, he sounds like an enterprising man. I'm sure he'll go far.

Cheers

huggybear
23rd Mar 2005, 09:03
I think this article in The Times today sums up exactly who Mr Halstead is, it captures him perfectly in my opinion. Come forward and take a bow Martin!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-1536920,00.html

normal_nigel
23rd Mar 2005, 09:12
Weasel Welshman (or whatever)

For someone who spent so many years as a GA wannabe I'm surprised at your attitude.

Or is it just green eyes?

Norman Stanley Fletcher
23rd Mar 2005, 09:14
Was it not Richard Branson who said, "The best way to become a millionaire is to begin as a billionaire and then start an airline!"?

I genuinely wish this young guy all the luck in the world - he is probably going to need it!

Say again s l o w l y
23rd Mar 2005, 09:23
Good luck to the guy, we could do with a few more like him.

Now why didn't I think of that?

Maude Charlee
23rd Mar 2005, 09:25
As long as he doesn't have the interpersonal skills of one M O'Leary, the kid has my support. No reason why the route wouldn't work either - 2 of the most respected universities in the world connected by a short air link. I'm sure there must be plenty of takers for that one amongst the lecturers and students. Ever tried driving it?

Torquelink
23rd Mar 2005, 09:25
I remember, a long time ago, a young chap (admittedly not quite so young as the Alpha 1 male) and a PILOT no less (what do they know about running an airline?!) coming along with a business plan for a Bandit operation from Cranfield to LGW (or was it LHR?). A lot of people scoffed and laughed and but he perservered and modded the plan. Not long afterwards he launched Connectair and the rest, as they say, is history. . .

Miles Hi
23rd Mar 2005, 09:36
Forgive me for being cynical, but would this project generate as much interest if this kid was 48, not 18? Does it matter what age he is if he provides a good service? I can't help thinking that 4 pages (and counting) on pprune is way, way more than any wrinkly old entrepeneur would have got had he started something similiar.

SQUAWKIDENT
23rd Mar 2005, 09:59
Quote from Times online article:

“In the aviation industry people are either very welcoming or incredibly hostile."

PPRUNERS take note.

Outer Martyr
23rd Mar 2005, 11:08
Now, shoot me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't a fare paying passenger plane be Perf A capable?
Is the Navajo such?
Would we survive an engine failure in that ac, if it was full of pax and luggage?
Answers please.

Wing Root
23rd Mar 2005, 11:12
Outer Martyr,

In a word..... Maybe :uhoh:

BigAir
23rd Mar 2005, 11:57
Well good luck to the guy, but maybe it is just my APP loan but is the best part of 100 quid return not a tad pricey for anyone going to cambridge for the day.... I cant see businesses justifying this when they could just pay mileage or get the guy to drive in his company car. 90 pounds for a student is a lot of beer to visit cambridge too.

Will be interesting to see what happens though

BigAir

haughtney1
23rd Mar 2005, 12:21
I cant help thinking........If Air Med had a Pax Caravan....they could actually make money....plus have more capacity.

Oh well SEIFR and all that.

timzsta
23rd Mar 2005, 12:21
Why so many people having a go at the kid? Would you prefer it if he was out on the streets somewhere smoking weed and mugging old ladies?

Give him some credit - he is doing something with his life, more then can be said for a lot of 18 year olds these days.

I say "damn good show lad" :ok:

mary_hinge
23rd Mar 2005, 12:49
The rate for own car usage for business travel is currently 40p per mile. At 118 miles each way gives a total of £94.40 for the round trip.
The big plus this guy is offering is a considerable amount of time out of the “UK transport system” should you try the car or train option, which must be worth a few quid!

Widger
23rd Mar 2005, 13:16
Dude wrote:

According to the website they fly "Relax in the knowledge that you are being flown by some of the best pilots in the industry in one of the most popular and safest aircraft ever built."

Missed the bit about flying passengers in class G airspace as well.

Bumz_Rush
23rd Mar 2005, 13:25
Lets say 50.00 inc all taxes....less paxes etc, lets say 40.00. Less credit card costs of 3.5% lets say 38.50. Lets say 30 mins flying, (20 published). So lets make it easy 1hr. total cost to operator. Lets say 6 pax each way.

So potential return of 480 per rotation.

Just what does a PA31 come out at these days.....less Catering, etc, etc. I assume the cost of a PA31 charter these days is more than £1000 per hour.??????????????

I admire the concept but dispute the maths...someone prove me wrong.

The PA 31 is a Cat A aircraft, and I have operated them in UK on Scheduled services.....and yes they might climb out on 1 when donkey stops, but please plan the crash site.

PM is discussions needed.

Bumz

airborne_artist
23rd Mar 2005, 13:31
The rate for own car usage for business travel is currently 40p per mile. At 118 miles each way gives a total of £94.40 for the round trip.

Only 40p/mile for less than 1500cc, 45p to 2000cc, and 63p>2000cc.

118*2*£0.63=£148.68 - then there is the time saved - assume it's 2.5 hrs, and if you cost a person on £50,000/yr at 2.5 times their salary (NI, pension, benefits and overheads) it brings another £62.50.

Road - £210, Air - £98 + taxis.

Still not costed is the wear and tear on the traveller if they'd taken the road - ever seen the blood pressure charts on drivers?

hollywood285
23rd Mar 2005, 14:32
Just what does a PA31 come out at these days.....less Catering, etc, etc. I assume the cost of a PA31 charter these days is more than £1000 per hour.??????????????

That seems a little on the high side for a PA31, anyone got the right figures? Apart from that I wish the lad loads of luck, he's going to need it! :D

pponting
23rd Mar 2005, 14:42
BPL321 Wrote:
Fair enough. Anyway more important things to worry about without giving this company free advertising.
Sound like a jealous attitude to me. Good luck to him.

Bumz_Rush wrote:
I admire the concept but dispute the maths...someone prove me wrong.

Errr, do you really think that this lad has not done the maths before launching his idea?

I can\'t believe that a group such as yourselves (with some exceptions) are just pulling this lad down.

I am not going to dwell on this as it is quite obvious what the problem is, JEALOUSY.... simple as that. I can imaging that a lot of people in this group are actually hoping he fails so they can say "I told you so" just because you wish you had thought of it or had the balls to do it.

Flame away....:ouch:

lscajp
23rd Mar 2005, 16:27
First off congrats to the young man. Anyone who has run their own business knows it's a very lonely place to be.

Secondly, i'm disgusted by the amount of negative points made in the last 4 pages. There are very few of you saying "well done mate" etc etc.

One of you said in response to one of the bitter comments "why aren't you employed?", mate your probably right. This thread highlights why people de-value the information contained on this site.

For once can't we congratulate him and keep and eye on it and resist the temptation (god only knows why you would want to) to slag him off.

I'm disgusted and appauled at the attitudes contained in the thread above mine.

Fly_146
23rd Mar 2005, 17:20
Is this factually correct?

Q. Is Alpha1 ATOL protected?

A. No, but don't let that worry you. Because we issue your ticket the instant you pay us we do not require an ATOL, however, your contract is with AirMed, not Alpha1 Airways and they will honour all reservations.

tom de luxe
23rd Mar 2005, 17:53
Is this factually correct? (...)
You don't have to print a physical ticket in order to "issue" a ticket. BA, LH, FR do it all the time with their electronic ticketing.

High Wing Drifter
23rd Mar 2005, 18:01
You can self fly hire one for about £5-600/hr.

thereceiver2004
23rd Mar 2005, 18:05
what a bunch most of you are...

why is it that no matter what anybody does in life there are always people there to bring him down.. must be jealousy simple as that.

If there was a 40yr old starting up out of Bournemouth with a leased 737 selling tickets to say ireland for 20quid, again people would be here pulling him down.

we all think of things in life we would like to be able to do, occasioanally some brave person take a chance and goes for it, some succeed, some fail.. who knows, its the taking part that counts not the winning..

p.s. i might add he is 18.. most kids of 18 this day and age are out drinking and pi$$ing everything up against walls

if it fails miserably then say told you so

in the meantime give him a break

TR

Dude~
23rd Mar 2005, 18:50
I don't really care whether he becomes a Richard Branson or not, but it's an interesting story to distract me from AC Electrics and ETOPS and rapidly approaching exams!

I am however genuinely interested in the feasability of something like this. I cannot see how it could possibly work, which is how I suspect many people view it. Its not that I am anti-it, bitter or jealous.

For example, if 2 pax don't turn up, or rather, only 6 pax are booked for a flight, then his revenue will be down by some 25%. Therefore passenger numbers will be absolutley critical for as long as it remains a small venture. If 2 pax don't book on an Easy flight, it is absorbed easily (no pun intended), but how will Alpha1 absorb the costs? (Worst case scenario: no pax booked Oxford - Camb, and 1 pax booked Camb-Oxford = 1hrs PA31 charter from AirMed plus 2 pilots wages + fixed fees, less 1 ticket at £49)

I Simply don't see how it could possibly make money. (And there's a lot of difference between "a lot of interest being shown" (according to the press) following national press article and day to day bookings through the winter.)

Honiley
23rd Mar 2005, 19:41
Lets be honest here.....

I will join in with the standard comments of "Good luck to him, etc etc". At 18 years of age i'm quite sure he'll be a success in whatever he chooses to do in view of how enterprising he is all ready....

I have been working in this industry for 25 years and been part of 3 start up airlines in a flight ops management capacity - all this chap has created is another virtual airline, in fact, that is what the CAA refer to it as. Having gained 3 new AOC's over my time, I am 100% positive that the money involved to gain his own AOC and post holder salaries will not add up with a Navajo operation.

And if he is considering a B1900 etc etc...he'll have to pay to put one of these onto Air Meds AOC....then your talking type ratings, mega aircraft operating costs etc etc....

I'm sorry - we and the rest of the world all love a tryer, but this is just a non-starter and an 18 year old playing at a Virtual Airline career...

As I say, lets be honest - this is just a load of tosh all kicked up by the press...

Riverboat
23rd Mar 2005, 21:36
As far as engine failure in a PA-31 is concerned, there should be no problem so long as the pilot is properly trained, and the aircraft is properly maintained. There are two pilots (apparently) on every flight, so I really think they should be able to hack a 60nm sector. It is an excellent venture for a young man to start. Yes, it may well fail, but he will learn a lot and go on to greater things. He, and the organisation, deserve support and encouragement.

The only thing that worries me is that presumably the operator has a deal with him to supply him with the aicrraft and crew for a set sum of money. (If this is not the case it would be good to know.) Providing AOC coverage is fine; supplying a crew is fine; but supplying the AOC, crew and aircraft usually means that the person at the end of it all has his hands tied. If he is not making any money on the scheduled service operation, he cannot use the aircraft and crew on ad hoc charters to keep the money flowing in. There is no other way to make money out of the aircraft.

But it sounds like he is not stupid, so he has probabaly got some deal with Airmed that will provide him with some insurance, such as an element of risk-sharing. I certainly hope so.

Oxford-Cambridge does not sound to me like a particularly exciting route, but it is a start, and presumably both airports have done their bit to support the operation by not charging Alpha1 for a year or so.

The important thing to remember is that if does suffer losses, we should not say "I told you so", but encourage him to stick with aviation and have another go in the future.

Riverboat

Fly_146
23rd Mar 2005, 22:13
I wouldnt for one moment expect this aircraft to make any return on this route at these rates. A 29 seat Jetstream 41 with healthy loads and clever yield management might!

This is a low risk, zero capital route start up with good growth potential. Lets hope they can develop the route into a profitable operation fast!

ps. Why did Suckling never venture into this one?! :suspect:

haughtney1
23rd Mar 2005, 22:17
A Cessna Caravan would make money...:E ....another SEIFR plug:D

Dash-7 lover
23rd Mar 2005, 23:26
give it 2 years in operation and he'll become a BA franchise!!

gmidc
23rd Mar 2005, 23:33
While I wish him every success in his venture I truly hope this young chap doesn't end up losing everything he has worked for!! Mind you with all the publicity surrounding his venture, maybe one of the larger players will offer him a job, if things don't work out.

For the number crunchers out there, Air Med have some estimated costings for chartering their aircraft, on their website -

http://www.airmed.co.uk/cities/cambridge.htm

st.elmo
23rd Mar 2005, 23:34
Ok, so I have read all the posts and it does not surprise me that there is so much negativity towards this guy. Yet again it’s the same people who believe they know best why certain ventures could never work.

Since most of you seem to know the pit falls and reasons why the venture will not work then you should be in a better position than he is. Let’s see you guys in action. From what has been said, some of you guys have the midas touch!

The airline business is changing faster than most airlines can keep up with it, so who is to say it will not work. I bet there were plenty of airlines out there laughing at FR when they said they would do what they have done all those years ago. Look at them now.

Best of luck to him.

SkyCruiser
24th Mar 2005, 03:49
Well,

most of you have shown yourselves as typical PPRUNE green eyed monsters.
I expect a large amount of you can't find employment in aviation so you resort to bringing down other people to your level. SAD.

Good luck to this young lad and I hope all goes well.

Tornado Ali
24th Mar 2005, 04:44
Let's all acknowledge the obvious shall we..? Regardless of whether or not this venture succeeds (and I certainly wish him the best), a boy with this level of ambition, drive, determination and confidence will leave nearly every one of us in the proverbial dust. I could only wish to have had 1/10th of his cojone's when I was 18.....

SLFguy
24th Mar 2005, 08:26
I suspect a lad with the balls the size of his is a 'bouncer'...if this venture doesn't come off - his next one will, or the one after that.

There are those that DO and there are those that don't, (usually identifiable as the the negative posters on pprune).

Edit to say: I am a project accountant and if he wants to offer me a job - PM me!

Flashdance9
24th Mar 2005, 09:01
"Nothing ever happens until someone gets off their arse and does something. That seems fairly obvious, but nothing ever does, and if it means having to kick a few doors off the hinges then that's what it takes".

Quote; Collin Pilinger, Beagle 2 Project Leader.

Honiley
24th Mar 2005, 17:57
Yet again it’s the same people who believe they know best why certain ventures could never work.

Err...that's cos we do! As a retired major UK airline board member, we know best cos it's what we got paid to do...

The airline business is changing faster than most airlines can keep up with it, so who is to say it will not work.

Correct. And IMHO there is no place in the UK market as a viable business proposition for such an operation as Alpha1.

most of you have shown yourselves as typical PPRUNE green eyed monsters.

Oh please! Why do people assume, in the same way they are those of you assuming we are green eyed, that we are just slating it out of jealousy - this operation is, as i've said before is just a load of tosh! It's a virtual airline, nothing more than a ticket agency that most of us who have been in the UK market place for 10 years plus can just see through and hardly in a position to be compared to Ryanair - an airline that has been at the forefront and revolusionised the UK low-cost market. With regards to Alpha1's place in the market, i'm afraid someone has already thought of a regional prop operation and has some major players that this 18 year old can do nothing about.

On a positive note for the wee lad:

a boy with this level of ambition, drive, determination and confidence will leave nearly every one of us in the proverbial dust.

I agree - i'm sure he'll have a successful career at whatever he chooses.

Honiley

bill tupling-prest
24th Mar 2005, 19:49
Well good luck to you .............we all started our dream somewhere...........and i have to say age is irrelevant if he has the "guts " to give it a go then support this guy!!!!!!

Pete Begley
24th Mar 2005, 20:31
Those of you having a 'go' at Martin, for whatever reason, maybe should know a couple of things.

Martin is/was doing an ATPL at Oxford, as if that isn't enough stress..

While I was there and when Martin started, last year I think, he had a member of his family fall ill who he, at the tender age of 17/18 was having to care for, practically on his own.

He never struck me as 'young' he always displayed ability and maturity beyond his years. I was his course mentor so I regularly saw him.

Good luck to you Martin. Maybe you won't become 'Easyjet' but maybe you'll become 'Easierjet' :)

Now leave him alone, be nice and maybe one day he'll give you a job flying one of his A380's :D

PS (psst Martin, need any ground school instructors:O )

SkyCruiser
25th Mar 2005, 01:09
Post deleted - personal attack. H.

Charley B
25th Mar 2005, 07:37
I agree with SkyCruiser,Pete Begley and others---PLEASE leave Martin alone!

I have followed Martin's progress in another Airline forum for the last year or so--and if I remember rightly he had to have a short break from studying for his ATPL as his family problems were so great.
What he has done at his age is really great-----Martin,all the luck in the world ---YOU DESERVE IT!

CB

troddenmasses
25th Mar 2005, 08:22
Good luck to the chap, but let's not look at this as aviation people, look at it as intelligent, numerate cynics - which is what you have to be in business if you want to prosper. The cheapest fare that he is offering (not limited to a certain number of seats) is £44 for students. They are then offering a £5 discount for booking online. This means that he is offering seats at £39 each. Suppose he runs with only 2 seats unfilled (fantastic for any airline, I think you will agree) this means that his total income for the flight is £234. The PA-31-350 uses about 43gph in the cruise - about 130 litres for the flight. At todays prices, this is about £117. This means that he then only has £117 to pay for the aircraft, the pilot(s) the ground support, the insurance, the parking, the engine fund etc.etc.etc. If Airmed think that it will cost £848 to run the exact same service, how come he thinks he can do it for 1/3 the cost. This bloke is living in an aviation dream world. Sorry, but the figures just don't add up. If doesn't matter how good a pilot/manager you are, if the outgoings are greater than the incomings, you will go broke sooner or later - that's life. Harsh but true.

StephenM_SMC
25th Mar 2005, 08:32
Martin, best of luck with the airline.;)

The SSK
25th Mar 2005, 08:51
He got an honourable mention in yesterday's Irish Times:
Aer Lingus has yet to replace the great Willie Walsh, its one and only saviour. Might I suggest that it might do no better than to employ Martin Halstead from England, in a sort of direct swap for Willie? Martin is an 18-year-old from Oxford - yes, I repeat, 18 - who has just started his own airline, flying between Oxford and Cambridge. Bizarrely enough, communications between the two cities are very primitive. The 83-mile road journey takes over two hours, and the train journey, via London, takes two-and-a-half hours.
That said, I count myself among those who can't see the business sense. And no, I'm not in any way spiteful or envious and I'm sure he's a great bloke. You don't even have to go into the detail of Troddenmasses and others. A business which is only earning money for two hours a day (4 x 30-minute sectors) just doesn't add up.

Right Way Up
25th Mar 2005, 09:06
For all those commenting about the negative comments, don't waste your breath. If Martin Halstead is the real mccoy these comments will be like water off a ducks back. In fact negativity tends to spur these type of people to greater things. Having a thick skin in this industry is a must. Unfortunately this industry is the proverbial rollercoaster ride, maybe, just maybe some of the negative posters have seen more than a few whizzkids come and go in their time often with disastrous results. Having a thick skin in this industry is a must. Good luck to him!

fmgc
25th Mar 2005, 11:10
Since when is a PA31 a Perf A aeroplane, Perf C when I used to fly one!!

Of course you can run scheduled services on a Perf C aeroplane.

Love Air used to do Biggin (?) to Le Touqet in a PA31. Isn't the Twotter a Perf C?

Wee Weasly Welshman, you may have worked in aviation since you were 14, but running an airline is very different from refuelling C152's in exchange for flying lessons.

I am sure that the maths must work out some how (I can't see it myself) but good luck to the guy.

normal_nigel
25th Mar 2005, 11:49
fmcg

Wee Weasly Welshman, you may have worked in aviation since you were 14,

And of course therefore must know it all.

There's a lot of Flying Club types that break into Commercial aviation and suddenly know everything there is to know.

Wee Weasley Welshman
25th Mar 2005, 13:06
Naturally like all people here I wish the young man personally every success.

That I think the venture doomed to failure; that I think claims of 'founding his own airline' are spurious; that the business plan seems non-enticing - none of these things are caused by jealousy, spite or malice on my part.

Lets not fall into the, increasingly common, trap of ascribing emotion to every viewpoint where none can be accurately detected.

Had the thread title and general gist been "18yr old markets scheduled air taxi service" I doubt there would have been an ounce of interest or drama.

I'm sure he'll go far though.

Cheers

Gator32
25th Mar 2005, 13:52
Wind your neck in mate. This lad has started this by himself and not daddy’s money.

Maybe not daddys money, but a very large inheritance helps!!!!

GJB
25th Mar 2005, 13:53
here here WWW, and to freedom of speech.

Danny_R
25th Mar 2005, 15:42
Granted, they are a ticketing company, without an ATOL no-less, thought that was prohibited by the CAA....

But as far as joe-public goes, they don't know the difference between a ticketing company and the actual airline...

Good luck to them regardless, they will probably need it!

CaptainFillosan
25th Mar 2005, 17:06
Where are you all getting your figures from?

A PA31 doesn't cost £1000 an hour to run! Absolutely ludicrous. Someone plucking numbers from the air are they?

However, 60nm is not a long way, or a long time in the air. In which case the more cost effective aeroplane for the route is an Islander. Anyone can stand that for 30 minutes. Fixed costs are lower than most aircraft and there are no expensive u/c cycles. The DOC's are lower than most too. Probably totals not more than £450-500 an hour. VFR all the way - most days.

8/9 seats can be sold for around £45 return BUT........you must never have a shortfall of more than 2 seats or you are dead!

It's risky but so is every airline that starts up.

sevenforeseven
25th Mar 2005, 17:20
Richard Branston, never heard of him. I know of a Richard BRANSON.

GROUNDHOG
25th Mar 2005, 17:39
Well congratulations to him for getting so much publicity for his new business whether it is a virtual airline, tour operation, airline, travel agency or whatever its catagory, there can't be many that haven't heard about it and that is one major step to getting bums on seats.

I don't think it matters a tinkers cuss whether this is an airline or not as long as the bums are paying sufficient to cover the cost and the CAA are satisfied he is operating within the rules of 'making available'.

Before retiring I was a founder director of three airlines, two of which still operate today and each time the detractors said it wouldn't happen, no chance, last six months etc etc and they were wrong. Ask Stelios what he was told when he first started his 'virtual airline' by the so called experts.

The business PLAN is what you think will happen based on your best knowledge at the time, what happens after the funding is in place is up to your skill and management and having sold one business successfully he may just have that ability? None of us KNOW whether this will ever come to anything unless there are any mystic megs out there, but I for one will be e mailing the young man to wish him the best of luck!

Hilife
25th Mar 2005, 19:33
Some pretty shrewd guys both at Airbus and Boeing have chosen completely different strategies for what they see is the future in air passenger transportation and both believe that the other is wrong.

I think I’m correct in saying that after 9-years of operations even the mighty NetJets Europe has yet to make a profit. So why do we do it? Well I guess aviation is a great job to be in and life without risk would be rather mundane.

I don’t envy him but I’m sure that Martin Halstead is a name we will be seeing more of in the future.

ATP_Al
25th Mar 2005, 23:35
I think the route is a great idea and hats off to Martin for having the guts to have a go at it.

BUT.......

Going into business at 18 generates a lot of publicity, and it looks like AIRMED may have seized on this opportunity to launch a route they were going to do anyway.

AND...

Couldn't they have chosen a decent name as well....how about Varsity Airways...sounds much more dynamic than Alpha 1 :ok:

Al

cwatters
26th Mar 2005, 13:48
First think I saw when I visited their web site was the menu...
"Select Route". Way to go!

Piltdown Man
26th Mar 2005, 14:23
I wish the guy the very best of luck. We need more like him. My only hope is that he is allowed to expand before MOL moves in.

Piltdown.

skiddyiom
26th Mar 2005, 15:23
Well, having read through the thread, I can see that many of you here are obviously cynical and should be on anti depressants. Give the bloke a break!!

If this works, and I bet it does, then he will have done something useful. I just wish my spotty 17yr old would get off his ass and do something.

Good luck to Alpha1 and to Martin. He'll need it with all these knocking miseries about!

Skiddy

Jamesair
26th Mar 2005, 18:24
According to "The Times" he is talking to four other UK airports re new routes.

Anyone know who they might be?

haughtney1
26th Mar 2005, 19:04
Ok Im a sad git!!!!

Just a few figures to mull over..(Ok hate me..cos I love the Caravan:p )

C208B Caravan purchased & financed over 15 years..assuming 20 productive days a month (conservative)
£177.70 per day...this figure is purely a fixed cost..the hourly rate is based on only 2 hours daily utilization.

Pilot, Maintenance (includes hot section@3000hrs), Fuel@todays price, and insurance(includes 10% error over and above cost)
£225.00 per hour
£ 89.00 per hour (finance as above)
£ 50.00 per hour (Airways charges + landing fees..est)

Total
£364.00 per hour direct operating cost

Now the question is what margin do you operate with....I have assumed 40% over cost.

£510.00 per hour rounded to the nearest £

Assume Oxford-Cambridge sector 30mins..(real figure in C208B is closer to 26mins wheels off to touchdown..including Inst procedures)

£255.00 per hour sector cost = 6 seats break even in a 13 seat a/c@£45.00 per ticket

This ability to break even with 1/2 a load gives the ability to market lower cost tickets..aka Easy..Ryan, multi-trip concessions, and perhaps the icing on the cake..you have an a/c that can also carry an additional 500lbs or so of freight over and above a full pax load and legal fuel..( assumes 10% over standard weights)

All done over land..in an aeroplane that is comfortable and efficient.

Why havent I done this?...mayby I will if SEIFR becomes a reality:E

gliderman69
27th Mar 2005, 06:00
My only thought is......

will this be the death of another 2 GA freindly airports.....

I mean you can see it in their eyes now......

New airline, proper paying passengers....Class A airspace....

Cue sinister laugh from airport directors :D

To all the negative people on the forum, he will fail or succed either way little impact on your lives why so het up about it all? Do you curse the winner of the lottery just becuase YOU didn't buy the ticket?

Starting your own business is hard, and at his age good luck to him if I even want to travel to Oxford from Cambridge I will consider that method of travel.

Danny_R
27th Mar 2005, 15:01
Well it may not even be a real airline, but it's sure getting some attention! Just found this on a site, about the newspapers etc that this has been mentioned in:

The Times (UK)
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printF...1536920,00.html

The Telegraph (UK)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai.../22/ixhome.html

BBC (UK and Worldwide)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/...ire/4371945.stm

USA Today (United States and Worldwide)
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flig...vemarch22_x.htm

CBC Radio (Canada)
http://www.cbc.ca/insite/AS_IT_HAPP.../2005/3/22.html

UTV (Ireland)
http://www.u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=58136&pt=n

The Scotsman (Scotland and the UK)
http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4294737

Hindustan Times (India)
http://www.zeenews.com/links/articl...=208249&sid=NEW

TravelBiz.com (Australia and New Zealand)
http://www.travelbiz.com.au/articles/86/0c02e286.asp

Electric Newspaper (Singapore)
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/top/st...6,85210,00.html

Glasgow Evening Times (Scotland)
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5036836.html

Cambridge Evening News (UK)
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/bus...ca424a579eb.lpf

Martin has also appeared in; The New York Times (USA), The Guardian, The Express, The Sun, The Mirror, The Daily Mail, The Oxford Times, The Oxford Mail, Oxford Courier (UK), The Hong Kong Times, The China Times (China), The Sydney Morning Post (Australia) plus many many more papers worldwide.

Martin's TV and Radio appearance have included; BBC National News, BBC News 24, BBC South Today, BBC Look East, SkyNews, CNN, Central News, BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 2, BBC Five Live, Passion FM, BBC Radio Oxford, BBC Scotland, CBC Canada, Belgian National Radio plus many more shows including radio and TV in the USA, India and the far east.

Martin's schedule for the next two weeks includes
TV:
The David Letterman show (USA), Working Lunch (UK), GMTV (UK), SkyNews (UK and Europe), CNN (USA), Fox News (USA), Richard and Judy (UK), This Morning (UK,) TV Company Moskovia (Russia), Channel One News (Russia) plus several others which will be reported on later.

Print Media:
The Times (UK) Q&A Session, The Sunday Express (UK), The Deccan Chronicle (India), The Mirror (UK), The Sun (UK) plus many more international and domestic papers.

Radio:
NewsTalk106 (Ireland), Star 107 (UK), BBC Radio 1 (UK)

On Wednesday this week Martin will also be flying off to Mumbai in India. He has been invited as Sir Richard Branson's personal guest to help launch the new Virgin Atlantic route and will also be staying with the Virgin boss for four days in the beautiful city of Mumbai. Martin has also this week been nominated for the Shell LiveWIRE young entrepreneur of the Year Awards.

There are currently 7 documentary makers in talks with myself to make a fly on the wall 'Trouble at the top' style documentary about Martin as well as many other exciting projects that are under discussion.

Thats from the lads PR lady.

7006 fan
27th Mar 2005, 15:49
I am fully in favour of Alpha1. It is a breath of fresh air to be made aware that one does not have to charge 50p a seat to make the news.
Britain has few enough people who are prepared to stick their head above the parapet in this nasty commercial world we live in. I just hope that as Alpha1's domestic network expands, they do not get beaten about the head by some of the regional 'sharks' and cut price pirhana's that are out there. The trouble is, once the market is open all the traders begin to set up their stalls.
Good on you Martin and keep it going.
Best of British to you.

:ok:

And to all the whingers out there
"...If you think you can do better..then why arn't you?"!!!
:hmm:

david_wilding
27th Mar 2005, 18:03
Lucky Sod!! All that publicity is obviously very good, suddenly everyone will be visiting Oxford & Cambridge!

It did easyJet well with the ITV1 show "Airline", so if he does get a documentary, that will boost his popularity and airline well!!

david_wilding.

Danny_R
27th Mar 2005, 18:18
Problem i see with a documentary, is the fact it'll be very boring with only 2 flights per day, with only 8 passengers each-way. It just won't have the content that would be needed for a successful "airline" type program.

jabird
27th Mar 2005, 22:00
As someone 10 years older than Martin, I would still consider myself a young 'un compared to most on this forum, and most people I meet in business circles.

This is a classic case of a route which should be easy by public transport, but which isn't. We've heard of Hop, Skip, Jump etc, but by all accounts this operation will actually be starting for real next month.

I'm not one to fully understand the economics of this a/c type, but remember that for the rest of the day, Alpha won't be picking up the operating tab. Not sure what would happen if it was delayed whilst on other jobs though - especially if chartered out to business execs who get delayed in meetings???

BUT - let's not forget the bigger picture here. OXF and CAM are two under-used airports the other players haven't touched yet. There must be plenty more routes which both can serve, if the economics are right. I'd considered OXF to be more Flybe territory, but they don't seem interested atm.

Ryanair may be dominating the field for bringing flights into under-utilised airports across Europe, but there are countless more locations where the runway is not long enough for them, or demand too thin to support a daily 737-800. Flybe haven't set up bases in Europe yet, and are so far the only serious sub-100 seat player.

There is a niche there for someone, and it is sizeable. I don't know enough about Martin to know how he's going to get on, but he's clearly got off to a great start on the PR front.

I for one wish him well, and hope a few more of the naysayers here can take note.

squitter
28th Mar 2005, 08:50
As a Camridge resident, i believe this route could work. The main consumer targets will be the two Universities and the surrounding Hi Tech and agricultural research industries. There is a lot of intellectual and financial interaction between the two. Secondly, the flight time costs and landing costs are low. With season ticket sales providing the `bread and butter` revenue, a full aircraft will generate at least £7000 a week for a total flight time of no more than 2 hours per day.
Here in the UK we do not utilise our smaller airports well enough. In the USA, it is quite the norm to commute by air from smaller airports to the cities. If there were more routes available to the businessman, i am sure it would be welcomed here. Just look at the time and hassle of commuting into London, not to mention the congestion charges. If it werent for the £660 landing fee at London City, it would be viable to provide a Cambridge to London City commuter route. (check out the M11 on a weekday morning).
A few weeks ago, i hired a car from Manchester to Stansted. Hire charge + petrol + hassle of dropping it off at the airport. A Manchester to Cambridge flight for £40 would have been a blessing!
Take a look at your half mil charts and see how many suitable airports there are for this type of low cost connectivity. Plenty of under- utilised airports that could ease the congestion on our roads, not to mention provide flying jobs!
As for the wisdom of starting a new airline with a small twin engined aircraft? Refer to the origin of the name of Titan Airways. (Clue - Cessna 404).

GJB
28th Mar 2005, 10:49
The free advertising and marketing hype generated by this has been magnificent.

Only time will tell whether this is all his own work, or if someone has their hand up his backside.

I suspect the latter, but wish them the very best of luck and hope this is a success. :ok:

mentaliser
28th Mar 2005, 13:30
I am pleased to see that the level of vitriol against Martin Halstead has finally died down.

Frankly, as an aviation entrepreneur myself (and one who has, in a previous existence, drawn up business cases for numerous successful enterprises) I am shocked and appalled at the propensity of certain individuals to opine in strong terms on a subject matter of which they know little or nothing. You do not know his cost base, his market forecasts, his strategy going forward, ..., and hence are in no position whatsoever to issue a meaningful analysis of his chances of success. If you had started a business in your teens, maybe by now you would be successful entrepreneurs and not bitter and twisted pilots and former pilots.

And as for the notion that Alpha1 is not a "real" airline - as has been remarked before, the question of not having its own AOC is a purely regulatory matter which 99% of the public (his customers) do not know about and anyway would not care about even if they did. According to the definition in my Oxford English Dictionary, Alpha1 is an airline.

It seems that the consensus has settled on wishing Martin well - as I do in the warmest terms. My intuition is that Alpha1 is exploiting an interesting niche, and if run well (as I am confident Martin can do) I believe it will succeed. Good luck.

The SSK
29th Mar 2005, 09:06
I am pleased to see that the level of vitriol against Martin Halstead has finally died down. I didn't notice any vitriol, or envy, or bitterness, just a number of well-reasoned arguments by people who are probably in a position to hold a valid viewpoint.

On the contrary, it's Mr Halstead's supporters who seem to be getting their knickers in a twist over this one, slinging mud at anyone who dares to voice a contrary opinion.

Anyway, time will tell.

Honiley
29th Mar 2005, 12:01
Thank you desk jockey - at last!

Reasoned opinions based on experience and knowledge from members of the industry who KNOW it will not work...the anger is been vented by people who clearly haven't a clue! He should enjoy the attention whilst it lasts....

jabird
29th Mar 2005, 15:00
Honiley,

To quote just one of the many posts which made me think there were lots of green eyes on the forum:

"Fair enough. Anyway more important things to worry about without giving this company free advertising."

"Reasoned opinions based on experience and knowledge from members of the industry who KNOW it will not work"

And no doubt many said Easyjet or Ryanair wouldn't work, or that people wouldn't want to pay £4 for a sandwich and fly to Haugesund for £1.

Then again, many here have said EU Jet wouldn't work, and the jury is still out. The naysayers have been proven so far to be right about now, Freshaer, Flywho etc.

Perhaps if anyone came back and said "I told you Easyjet and Ryanair WOULD work, but that x,y and z who are no longer with us would not", then it would add more weight than the "I've got xx years of industry experience, and I know it won't work" line.

Experts can and often do get it wrong.

I for one hope it does work, but I don't yet know enough about the venture to give a real opinion. However, if it doesn't, then Mr Halstead will at least have proven he has a great ability in the PR department - a service which numerous other transport companies could no doubt make great use of.

Also, what will have been lost? He isn't flying his own planes, and he isn't promising holidays to Florida which he can't deliver. Nor is he likely to be taking huge fortunes of people in plane tickets which they will never get to use.

And if this operation doesn't work in its current form, who's to say that something else won't be able to take its place. We should all be supporting regional airports for the range of services they provide, and for their ability to take people off the congested roads.

Now how people get from Oxford City centre to Kidlington during the rush hour is going to be an interesting one. Martin, you're only 18, any chance of offering a rickshaw service?:=

Wee Weasley Welshman
29th Mar 2005, 15:12
He's probably doing it so that he has something very impressive to put on his cadetship application form and to talk about at interview. Which is a very cany angle to take.

Cheers

Masser
29th Mar 2005, 18:14
For those of you winging and being negative its simply jealousy. You simply wish that at his age you had had the balls and determination to do the same. If this was the US every comment here would be a pat on the back and good luck to you. Lets all be typically British and knock him down before he starts eh.

Go for it Martin and I hope you get all the free advertising that you can !

Mass

Honiley
29th Mar 2005, 19:19
For those of you winging and being negative its simply jealousy.

And another one.....

Thats correct. We are really green with envy that he's started a ticketing agency!

IYou simply wish that at his age you had had the balls and determination to do the same.

When I was 19, I was undergoing basic training in the RAF - 2 years later sat in the RHS of a Vulcan.....i'll show him balls!!!!!!

airborne_artist
24th May 2005, 18:25
Should that read "19 year old seeks, and wins a lot of free publicity, and then goes back to him room to play with his toys"?