PDA

View Full Version : Gambian Air Force

BN2A
22nd Mar 2005, 16:34
On a recent trip to BJL, I saw a lonely looking military jet parked in the corner of the apron. Is that the country's air force?
Looked a bit like a Harrier, but wasn't.

If so, how many people are rated to fly it? Or is it not servicable any more? Looked a bit worn, but that could have just been dust/sand settling on it, and the effects of near permanent sunshine!

BN2A

:)

soggyboxers
23rd Mar 2005, 06:41
It's been sitting in the same place for years. There are often military personnel camped under the wings which have a tarpaulin thrown over them to make a shelter. I passed by it 2 years ago ferrying a helicopter to Cameroun and it was in exactly the same place when I was ferrying one to Nigeria last week. I would think the only thing it's serviceable for is making a shelter :)

Rhodie
23rd Mar 2005, 07:00
This is the only detail I can find on the 'Gambian Air Arm'

?- Gambia Air Arm
811212- [loose confederation with Senegal]
-820201 Gambian Air Wing
[to Senegambia AF]
-890930 [seperate from Senegal]
------------------

[VP-X(29-65), C5-(78-)]

B-N Defender /81/91 x 1 .
Short Skyvan 3M /81/91 x 1 .
SNIAS Puma [loan from SEN] 80/81 x 2

What is there is probably left over from one of the coup attempts, maybe on loan from China or the Ruskies... :confused:

Cheers

R

Boss Raptor
23rd Mar 2005, 12:14
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/587836/M/

SU25 apparently - there were some of these being used by Govt. forces in the Ivory Coast I can only summise any connection?!

Gunship
28th Mar 2005, 10:26
Unless the pilot parks after every sortie at exactly the same spot ansd someone throws dust on it as an afterthought - the SU has not moved in my 5 years since I saw it the first time (might be 3-4 years thinking again) ;)

Sgt.Peppeh
6th Apr 2005, 16:12
`scuse me,this jet is the backbone of the Gambian Airforce,unfortunatley they had only one pilot who was qualified to fly it,but he absconded with the Commanding Officer`s wife in 1998 to Bamako since then no one has volunteered for training so it`s use for shelter when playing game of cards or draughts.

The Sgt.:hmm:

surely not
6th Apr 2005, 16:47
deffo a SU25 Frogfoot. Very dilapidated state when I last saw it in Jan 2004, and parked next to the Il62 which also doesn't move a lot (if at all).