PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Comedy Moment

BillHicksRules
22nd Mar 2005, 16:26
Dear all,

I am sure this has been done before but in the spirit of post-modernism I thought to raise it again.

Cheers

BHR

Standard Noise
22nd Mar 2005, 16:31
'Fork handles' from the two Ronnies.
'Blessed are the cheesemakers' from Life of Brian.
'Mr Creosote', Meaning of Life - always has me in stitches.
:D :D

Grainger
22nd Mar 2005, 16:57
Gotta be the bit at the end of the Fawlty Towers episode with the dead body.

They've been running around with the body in the laundry basket and the lobby is filling up with angry guests.

With apparently no way out, Basil calls out: "Laundry's ready ! ", jumps into the basket and is carried off to safety, leaving Sybil shouting: "Basil ! Basil !! BASIL !!! "

Blink and you'll miss it - a masterpiece of timing.

Jerricho
22nd Mar 2005, 17:06
South Park Episode 111 "Tom;s Rhinoplasty", when the boys have a new substitute teacher who is a lesbian.

The funniest bit is where they enter the room to find Cartman on the floor licking it. His reply "This is a bunch of crap! I've been licking this carpet for three hours, and I still don't feel like a lesbian."

tony draper
22nd Mar 2005, 17:15
Mr Creosote exploding in that Monty Python movie whos title eludes one at the mo.
Another waffer theen mint??

:E

Jerricho
22nd Mar 2005, 17:18
'The Meaning of Life" Tones.

Lance Murdoch
22nd Mar 2005, 17:26
'Don't tell him Pike' from Dads Army.

The Only Fools and Horses where Del decides to go into the chandelier cleaning business.

Numerous scenes from Blackadder. I could go on.......

GrahamK
22nd Mar 2005, 18:05
Numerous scenes from Only Fools and Horses, including Delboys "accident" in the bar ;)

AntiCrash
22nd Mar 2005, 18:09
The Lord has given us these Fifteen (oops) Ten, Ten Commandments!

acbus1
22nd Mar 2005, 18:41
What follows may not be the best, but it came to me first.

A Fish Called Wanda

Michael Palin being tortured using the less well known "chips and aquarium fish" method.

The Palin stutter was the final, pure magic, ingredient to tip me over the edge into complete hysterics. Breathing was impossible. I nearly died.

:}

pilotwolf
22nd Mar 2005, 18:54
Del Boy falling through the bar...

Similar but not sure if it counts as comedy is in the first Wallace and Grommit when Grommit gets the drill stuck and spins around.

PW

Tone
22nd Mar 2005, 19:06
One item that had me creased was his Tonynesses opening speech to parliament when he first got elected. Just behind him, and in camera, was some female MP wearing the most ginormous earrings and chewing gum. The effect of the rapid chewing and the light reflecting off said jewellery was fascinating. Quite took me mind away from the speech (no bad thing). After a couple of minutes a note was passed down the line and the chewing stopped immediately, pure pantomime. If only I had been sad enough to record it. Bet the Beeb has a copy.

dmanton300
22nd Mar 2005, 19:25
Monty Python:- Fish slapping sketch. Sublime. Without peer.

Nereus
22nd Mar 2005, 19:38
Judas & the last supper, History of the world, Mel Brooks

PT6ER
22nd Mar 2005, 19:48
How about Slim Pickens (SP?) I think it was in Blazing Saddles when he sticks his head into the farting around the campfire scene and utters the "What in the wide world of sports" etc etc

Or

Young Frankestein: "Abby Normal", "nice knockers" or "can I help you with the bags...certainly you take the blonde I'll take the brunette" (maybe some parphrasing there) ;)

Also very glad Standard Noise reminded me of "fork handles"...thanks for that one,it is a classic by any standard!!

tony draper
22nd Mar 2005, 20:02
Whenever Father Jack says **** OFF!!, for some reason that alus cracks me up.
:E

Rollingthunder
22nd Mar 2005, 20:15
There is a scene in a Pink Panther film where Inspector Clouseau walks up a flight of stairs to find a set of parallel bars beside the railings on the landing. He performs a few routines on the bars and then does a flying dismount - straight down the stairs. Had me rolling on the floor the first time I saw it.

skydriller
22nd Mar 2005, 20:28
What has me laughing on the floor...

Fawlty Towers where John Cleese threatens his car with a 'Damn good Thrashing' if it doesnt start.....it doesnt...so he does....:D

Peter sellars in the Pink panther movies....all the time!!!!:ok:

Regards, SD..

yintsinmerite
22nd Mar 2005, 20:45
Del through the bar
Any of Faulty Towers
Most of father Jack
Anytime the Queen in Blackadder says 'Who's queen?' - always cracks me up
And of course, 'Four Candles'

pigboat
22nd Mar 2005, 20:52
From various Pink Panther movies..

"I am an officer of the leuw,"

"Even the Peup was there..."

The parrot in the vacuum cleaner.

Hey RT, have you seen the skeet shooting scene with Red and Bill in the Red Green show? Has me rolling on the floor every time.
:D

Rollingthunder
22nd Mar 2005, 20:57
No, but I'll keep my eye out for it.:ok:

Capt.KAOS
22nd Mar 2005, 21:16
Denny Willis & the Hunting Quartet with "The Fox has left its lair"

Link, pls?

SmilingKnifed
22nd Mar 2005, 21:50
Father Jack drinking toilet cleaner. Genius:ok:

flowman
22nd Mar 2005, 21:58
That TV show where Bush gets re-elected.
Just as well it couldn't happen in real life.

LordGrumpy
22nd Mar 2005, 22:15
His classic film The Producers.
The song and dance routine

Spring time for......
You don't know, go do yer home work and laugh.

snafu
22nd Mar 2005, 22:36
The whole of "Private Plane" from Blackadder Goes Forth!:ok:

I did a winter survival course in Bavaria a few years ago where we went on the run for a few days whilst being hunted by a German Para reservist unit. At one point, they captured all of us on the course and held us in a barn, where we were all made to sit on the floor with our hands on our heads and heads down. After about 5 minutes, a Brit voice was heard in a comedy German accent "Ze humiliation vill be unbearable!"

The German guards were suddenly faced with a barn full of Brits in hysterics and hadn't got the faintest idea why!:E

pigboat
22nd Mar 2005, 22:42
I've had a moment like that, snafu. Three of us were watching the film It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World in french. We were probably the only people in a hundred miles who spoke english or knew the english idiom. During the scene where the Jimmy Durante character dies and his leg stiffens and kicks a bucket, we laughed our fool heads off. Got a lot of queer looks from the rest of the cinema audience. :D

redsnail
22nd Mar 2005, 22:58
TD,
I just love the scene where Mrs Doyle says to Father Hackett,
"what would you say to a cup of tea?"
"**** OFF CUP"
followed by the cup being hurled across the room.
I saw that up at a post mortem bash breakfast in Scottyland. Cracked up laughing and been a fan ever since. :D

Ian Corrigible
23rd Mar 2005, 01:05
Asides from Python and B’ladder, Red Dwarf was always good for a laugh (including “You make love like a Japanese meal...very small portions but so many courses” and “I can't think straight - I've got a Taranshula with an eye the size of a meatball setting up home in my joy department…”).

More recently, Coupling was pretty good. Loved the scene with Jeff and his georgeous boss Julia (“Did you press a button?” “No, they just do that…”)

Movie-wise, there's just too much to choose from. Airplane!, Naked Gun, Top Secret!, Blues Brothers…

I/C

reynoldsno1
23rd Mar 2005, 01:19
Just about anything from "Black Books".....

ElectroVlasic
23rd Mar 2005, 03:40
One scene that made me roll with laughter from "The Vicar of Dibley": Geraldine finally relents and lets Owen kiss her. He gives her a long, sloppy kiss. Afterwards she notices a missing filling. A few scenes later, Owen appears at her door and offers her the missing filling. He says he would have returned it sooner, but "I've only just passed it!".

k-lo
23rd Mar 2005, 05:53
"Don't mention the War!"

BlueDiamond
23rd Mar 2005, 06:46
The Parrot Sketch ... pure Python.

"He's just tired and shagged out after a long squawk."

dude65
23rd Mar 2005, 06:53
For those in Australia.

"Charlie the Wonderdog" from The Late Show always crack me up

Early episodes of MASH featuring Frank Burns & Henry Blake are classic TV.

BahrainLad
23rd Mar 2005, 07:38
"Now then Blackadder, are you ready to give those Frenchies a damn good licking?"

"...Um....It's the Germans we shall be licking Sir."

"Don't be revolting Darling! I wouldn't lick a German if he was glazed in honey!"

aged
23rd Mar 2005, 08:03
Most of the above, plus MASH, the original Billy Connolly before he got posh, Rab C Nesbit, Chewing the Fat

Lot of classic stuff out there

airshowpilot
23rd Mar 2005, 09:24
The funniest moment for me recently was the Appraisal of Keith in the second series of The Office. Perfect comedy.

Cannot get enough of Alan Partridge, most of Fawlty Towers still stands the test of time and the bizarre elements of Monty Python and Spike Milligan still delight me. Saw the Black Adder featuring his manservant 'Bob' and Flashheart the other evening, pure gold. I used to be more into stand up comedy, but character comedy and comedy shows are funniest. Little Britain are doing a great job with their sketch comedy. Language and character relationships create the biggest laughs i.e. Laurel and Hardy are head and shoulders above Chaplin in my book. Anything described as a sitcom usually leaves me cold e.g. My Hero.

BillHicksRules
23rd Mar 2005, 09:38
Dear all,

I have to say that there are very few bad moments in the Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister series. If I had to express a preference I would say that the episode where Hacker becomes Prime Minister is a must see classic.

Cheers

BHR

p.s. Ian Corrigible, it is nice to see a mention for one of my current favourites Coupling.

Send Clowns
23rd Mar 2005, 10:15
In the film Twin Town, the boys' father is building a model. Says to the lads (and it has to be a Swansea accent) "... and this glue is for my submarine, not for sticking up your noses. Buy your own f***ing glue.". The spiked hotdog. Then there is the ... interruption let's say, to the karaoke competition - classic! As is the curry house afterwards, the waiter's subtitled responses.

Paris Dakar
23rd Mar 2005, 12:06
Not in any particular order..........

Peter Sellers f*rting in the lift

Anything Laurel & Hardy

David & Donald Stott (Reeves & Mortimer) asking Damon Hill 'when you are doing 200mph, do you get to see the fanny?'

WC Fields

Rodders & Del and chandellier sketch

Rik & Aid (Bottom) and the gasman.

PD

Devlin Carnet
23rd Mar 2005, 12:49
..Many moments from red dwarf, including..

Are you sure you want to go to red alert sir?,
It does mean changing the bulb.

newswatcher
23rd Mar 2005, 13:27
No mention of Pete & Dud?:confused: The Tarzan Sketch reprised on TV the other evening. Dudley Moore goes for an audition for the role of Tarzan, but he only has one leg - a unidexter, as Pete calls him.

Yes, the leg division, Mr. Spigott. You are deficient in it — to the tune of one. Your right leg I like. I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role. That's what I said when I saw you come in. I said ‘A lovely leg for the role.’ I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is — neither have you.
Classic :D

Morecombe and Wise had their moments - Christmas Sketch with Andre Previn, Eric M accused of playing the wrong notes. "I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!" Said whilst holding Andre P up by his lapels.

Tommy Cooper had me in fits many times. Whilst most of his comedy was "visual", some of his jokes may be found here (http://http://justlikethat.homestead.com/Jokes1.html)

ATNotts
23rd Mar 2005, 14:00
Some of my favourites that haven't got a vote so far:-

"Derek the Gorilla" (Not the Nine O'clock News)

"The Cheese Shop" (Monty Python)

"The Lumberjack Song" (Monty Python)

"You've Never Met a Nice South African" (Spitting Image)

Not to mention (so I will!) the "One Legged Tarzan", "Parrot Sketch" and of course "Four Candles"

Flyrr100
23rd Mar 2005, 14:08
Four Candles - The Two Ronnies
Cheese Shop - Python
Any Hancocks Half Hour on Radio
Stuttering Defense Lawyer - My Cousen Vinny
Master of my Domain - Seinfeld
Superthunderstingcar - Pete & Dud

The funniest moment ever on TV:
Del falling through the bar - Fools & Horses

Curious Pax
23rd Mar 2005, 15:06
ATN:
The gorilla's name was Gerald! "David Attenborough, David bloody Attenborough".

Like the sketch though. It makes me feel very old these days when I refer to old Not The Nine O'Clock News sketches, and just get blank looks in return. Hedgehog sandwich anyone?

I think it was partly a function of the age I was at the time, but the bit in The Young Ones where Rick finds a tampon had me rolling round the floor.

Other than that, the classics already mentioned feature highly on my list, especially Python/Fawlty Towers. Or even the NTNOCN "Life of Python".

ATIS
23rd Mar 2005, 15:19
"wibble"- blackadder fans will know what I'm talking about

Lost_luggage34
23rd Mar 2005, 15:30
"wibble"-

But only if said with a pencil up each nostril and one's underwear on one's head.

Something I generally save for weekends !

PilotsPal
23rd Mar 2005, 15:33
One of my favourites is on tv tonight - yes, its the Blackadder encounter with the Bishop of Bath & Wells and his red hot poker.

ATNotts
23rd Mar 2005, 17:14
Curious Pax:

Thanks - 'course it was Gerald - what I want to know, is who the b***dy hell is Derek.

Better reach for me Alzheimers tablets!!

Standard Noise
23rd Mar 2005, 17:22
I live just up the road from the Bishop of Bath & Wells, haven't got up the courage to ask if he still eats babies like his predecessor.:E

airshowpilot
23rd Mar 2005, 17:22
'Wild? I was absolutely livid!'

Forgot to mention; Not the Nine O'Clock News, The Young Ones, The Simpsons, Bottom (loved the Christmas episode), MASH, Seinfeld, Frasier, The Day Today, People Like Us...and much of Saturday Night Live from New York (early Andy Kaufman and during Mike Myers time).

Agree with you Cheerio, that a lot of great comedy works knowing what's about to come next. That's what makes the Office Appraisal such a classic as well as much of Laurel and Hardy. I'm chuckling to myself thinking of them getting that piano up those stairs...

KM-H
23rd Mar 2005, 17:30
Shame that despite all the repeats around this series doesn't get another airing. Not that BBC America would show it over here.

"When I caught Gerald he was completely wild"

"Wild - I was absolutley livid!"

Final line of the talking gorilla sketch "He b***dy does eat daffodils"

Pam Stephenson as the BBC news announcer ridiculously "over pronouncing" everybodies names.

The American Express advert - "Put your head between them and go blubble blubble" with American Express

Cracks me up just thinking about some of the old sketches.

Also - bring back Spitting Image. Please. The current climate HAS to be just as rich as the Thatcher era for lampooning politicians

Wingswinger
23rd Mar 2005, 20:10
Id like to mention the scene in "Waking Ned" when the telephone box goes over the cliff with the village grinch inside it. A "corpsing" moment!

Blacksheep
24th Mar 2005, 04:51
There're just too many sketches to mention but the question is actually about a 'moment'

My favourite comedy moment involves Tommy Cooper doing one of his magic trick 'failures'. He put a tall, thin table on the stage, draped a cloth over it then placed a top hat on it. He proceeded to try and pull a rabbit out of the hat - cabbages, flowers, womens' undergarments - he got anything but a rabbit. Finally, he threw the top hat away in disgust, pulled the cloth off the table and stuffed it into his pocket. The table had vanished.

Brilliant.

Loose rivets
24th Mar 2005, 06:05
‘Nelson had a vote...'

Bladder, eyes half closed. ‘Nelson had a boat Baldric.'

Blackshift
24th Mar 2005, 19:32
Father Ted - "Kicking Bishop Brennan up the Arse"

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - "When danger reared its ugly head he bravely turned his tail and fled... Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin"

However, let's not get stuck in the past...

Peep Show - its toe-curlingly merciless piss-take of two ordinary young-ish guys and their quest to be cool has had me aching with laughter.

I'm sure that it will prove to be a future classic comic reference point to the noughties, more so than The Office, which is perhaps slightly more dated in that it is a comic exorcism of a more universally derided post-Thatcherite nineties work culture.

cessna l plate
24th Mar 2005, 19:57
Funny the Fast Show hasn't appeared yet.
Every single one of them has left a great catchphrase behind it, but forever imortal will be

"Suits you sir! Were you with a lady sir, did she bang sir, ooh sir!"

WindSpirit
24th Mar 2005, 20:29
My favorite comedy moment is in an episode of Yes, Prime Minister called "The Key". Sir Hunphrey actually comes off worst for once. The "Ministerial Broadcast" is pretty funny too.

Knold
24th Mar 2005, 21:44
When the Monty Python crew went to Germany to do "The German Episode" they were taken to the remains of one of the "work" camps. They were denied entry because it was after hours. Graham Chapman, rest his sole, said:

"Tell them we're jewish"

Best comment ever

Capt Hollywood
25th Mar 2005, 02:31
"Do you take her from behind sir, does she look over her shoulder at you sir, like a doe caught in the headlights, ooh, suits you sir!"

Classic Fast Show.

Or...

Monty Python sketch where the slaughter house designer has a crack at designing a public housing. After explaining how the tenants will make their way through the lavishly decorated foyer towards the 'rotating knives' he is asked by the client why he intends to slaughter the tenants!

"Well that's just the sort of pig ignorance I've come to expect from you non creative garbage, sitting there in your tailored suits not caring a tinkers cuss for the struggling artist"

Classic.

Cheers,

Hollywood :cool:

GrumpyOldFart
25th Mar 2005, 03:23
A few that haven't been mentioned yet:

Stand-up - Jasper Carrot doing Magic Roundabout ("P1ss off, said Zebedee")

TV Sitcoms: - Just about any episode of 'Drop The Dead Donkey'

Steam radio - Any episode of 'Beyond our Ken' (or the later incarnation 'Round the Horne'); or any one of 'I'm sorry, I'll read that again.'

JC

AntiCrash
26th Mar 2005, 19:13
Red Green episode when Red goes out to the lake to check out his mate's seaplane has pretty good.

BigginAgain
26th Mar 2005, 21:19
"When I caught Gerald he was completely wild"

"Wild - I was absolutley livid! ... never been treated like such a [email protected] in all my life."

Sure I've got that album somewhere.

Phoenix Nights ... where Paddy and Max are given the radios and Max keeps getting further away testing them, till eventually he disappears into the distance on a bus just as the pooh hits the fan with the racist folk singers.

The Office ... Jellied Stapler (mentioned elsewhere on this site)and building a wall out of filing boxes! (Apparently that's what they do at HQ STC now!)

David Gunson's What Goes Up Might Come Down after-dinner speech when the cleaner pulls the plug out of the wall and the desktop radar picture behaves like one of the old TVs:

"All 180 aircraft are still there, but they're much closer together now..."

and from the same talk (in a French Accent):

"Affirmateeve, we came back to work Saturday ... eet's been very quiet 'ere."

I'll get me coat.

joe2812
27th Mar 2005, 16:54
The chandelier scene from Only Fools and Horse.

And most of Homer Simpson's quotes.

MadsDad
27th Mar 2005, 19:50
'Not The Nine O'clock News', the final song 'Kind o' lingers' (for those who haven't seen it the pronunciation was slurred a bit.

Any Blackadder.

And, as BA says, David Gunson. 'The Captain is always the last to leave the burning aircraft. If I happen to pass you on the way out YOU will assume the role of Captain'.

criticalmass
27th Mar 2005, 20:44
There's an early postwar British musical comedy called "London Town". It was a hugely expensive flop, but there's one scene in which the producer of a musical, Mrs Barry (Greta Gynt, who is very easy to look at) is talking with one of the dressers, Belgrave (Claude Hulbert). The stand-in comedian (Sid Field) is about to go on - and he's a nervous wreck.

Belgrave: "I don't think he'll forget his lines, do you, Mrs Barry?"

Barry: "Oh no. why many times I've stood in front of an audience and had my mind completely leave my body."

Belgrave: "Yes, but look what you had left!"

So beautifully, Britishly, understated.