PDA

View Full Version : Gmail

My names Turkish
22nd Mar 2005, 11:39
No, not looking for an invite!

I was wondering if anyone who has been using it for a few months or so could tell me about the hit rate of its in built spam filter?

I have had a hotmail account from the beginning of the service and one of the features I really like about it is that you can set a filter to only allow messages into your inbox that are in the contacts list. This means that 99% of what goes into the trash is actually spam and it also makes it very very easy to pick out a genuine one thats not spam.

I am thinking about making my gmail account my primary one but I don't want to be over run with spam without this option. So whats it been like for users with gmails own filter?

Mishandled
22nd Mar 2005, 13:12
I've been using gmail as my primary personal account since may last year, and I have had no problems whatsoever. I can'y remember when I have had spam actually reach my inbox. Although a few of my subscriptions got put into the spam folder early on.

I also like that I can access my gmail using Outlook, so that I can sync it with my phone/palm etc. I love the Gmail client too.

Terraplaneblues
22nd Mar 2005, 14:04
While you're on the subject............
I would like to try gmail, I just cannot fathom the login screen.
Which username & password?
An existing email account? or do I just invent one for gmail?

Any help appreciated.

Mishandled
22nd Mar 2005, 14:23
Terraplaneblues, do you have a gmail account? You need to have been invited by someone who does. Once you get someone to invite you you get a link to set up you username/password. I will gladly send you an invite if you give me your e-mail address.

amanoffewwords
22nd Mar 2005, 15:37
You can get an invite here: http://isnoop.net/gmail

Hurry only 500,000+ left!!

amofw

goates
22nd Mar 2005, 17:51
Apparently they're opening it up to the general public now, albeit, on a limited basis. Can't find the link right now, and I think they are keeping it low key right now.

One issue that some people have run into is what happens when you reach you're mailbox size limits? Many people are already over this without any warning or anything from Google.

goates

amanoffewwords
22nd Mar 2005, 21:37
It tells you at the bottom of the screen like so:

You are currently using 19 MB (2%) of your 1000 MB. (very generous amount IMO)

I like it - much better than yahoo - it's like the days when mobile phones just allowed to make/receive calls - this lets you send/receive emails, without any clutter/bells and whistles/gimmicks etc. Just a little discreet text advertising.

Charles

goates
22nd Mar 2005, 21:50
They tell you how much you are using, but not what happens when you go over the limit. How do they enforce it? Stop all new incoming and outgoing emails? Delete anything over the limit? And there are people that have filled up their Gmail accounts.

goates

inlet corrosion
26th Mar 2005, 22:21
Hi. I have tried without any success to get an invite. Please PM me if anyone would like to fwd an invite to me. Many thanks
I.C.

Keef
26th Mar 2005, 23:17
Check your PMs!

amanoffewwords
27th Mar 2005, 10:21
How many do you want - isnoops's got 587,834 as I write?!

27th Mar 2005, 20:54
How many invites do you need? I have 48 remaining and I see Isnoop has 592,895 remaining, so many many invites out there :-) good luck!!!

F4Fan
31st Mar 2005, 12:09
Just got my GMAIL account.

Got it via the ISnoop link on this Forum

1GB, excellent :ok:

My names Turkish
1st Apr 2005, 15:40
https://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/images/infinity.gif

2gb by the end of today.

P.S I like the cup stain.Source (http://www.gmail.com)