PDA

View Full Version : Lunatics in charge of the Asylum - US style

BillHicksRules
22nd Mar 2005, 11:22
Dear all,

"Some IMAX theatres are refusing to show movies that mention evolution or the Big Bang because of protests by religious groups who say the ideas contradict the Bible.

While the number of protests is small -- perhaps a dozen or fewer IMAX theaters -- the effect could be significant because only a few dozen IMAX theatres exhibit science documentaries, according to an article Saturday in The New York Times.

The bans, occurring mostly in the South, could affect decisions about whether to even produce some science documentaries in the first place, the article states.

Source : www.livescience.com"

Cheers

BHR

flowman
22nd Mar 2005, 11:34
No free speech in The Land of the Free then?
Give 'em a hundred thousand years or so and they will evolve into rational humans...

Spuds McKenzie
22nd Mar 2005, 11:39
INCOMIIIIING!!!

tony draper
22nd Mar 2005, 11:44
Let them get on with it, not be long before those retard folks have devolved and lost the power of speech and returned to the trees, they have already lost the power of reason, the way to defeat those flat earth religious loons is to take the piss out of them mercilessly, send em parcels of bananas and such.
:cool:

Binoculars
22nd Mar 2005, 11:53
Naah, you don't have to do anything. They occupy no higher a percentage of the population than they ever did. What small gains they make on the internet are irrelevant, because the pisstakers outnumber the believers in terms of technological savvy by a factor of dozens.

As for IMAX; err, yeah, right. :hmm:

BenThere
22nd Mar 2005, 12:20
It's even worse than you think, BHR.

I heard somewhere a film production scheduled for viewing was actually cancelled and its ideological opposite was actually shown due to rioting in the streets by some religious fanatics.

In this particular country, I forget where, you can actually get in trouble, or even be threatened with your life, for saying anything against some weird religion, lest you stir up trouble.

Free speech is definitely under attack!:sad:

BillHicksRules
22nd Mar 2005, 13:18
BT,

Let me guess the country you are referring to?

Does it begin with an I?

Cheers

BHR

BenThere
22nd Mar 2005, 13:32
It begins with an I, a U, an N, a B, a G, an F, an S and others.

Cheers,

BillHicksRules
22nd Mar 2005, 13:46
Benthere,

So you are happy that the US is going down this road?

Cheers

BHR

Maxflyer
22nd Mar 2005, 13:48
Give them free tickets to Gerry Springer.

airship
22nd Mar 2005, 13:55
Much like the 1st Amendment, Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances, Americans continue to accept the pretence (sorry, pretense) of living a freer, fairer life than anyone else on the Earth.

You only have to read the reviews of Courtroom 302 : A Year Behind the Scenes in an American Criminal Courthouse by Steve Bogira (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679432523/qid=1111498264/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-7908989-8841650) to realise that the 6th to 8th Amendments have taken a considerable bashing too.

Like those psychologists who explain that the lack of someone to look upto is often a major cause of urban delinquency, you could maybe accept why the rest of the World endeavours to look elsewhere these days...

AntiCrash
22nd Mar 2005, 14:16
The religious fanatics here are in the drivers seat and are removing civil rights and states rights faster that shite off a shovel. I don't think it will be long now before they stage thier own Joey Goebles "Festival of Books".

:mad:

fernytickles
22nd Mar 2005, 14:32
I don't disagree with the sentiment of the initial post. Where we live in the Midwest, it has struck us that some of the attitudes towards religion are about 50 years behind Europe, and there is a belief in not teaching evolution at some schools. Daft, I know.

Having said that, last week I had the fortune to sit in on a presentation by an 83 year old Tuskegee airman. Although he was trained as a biochemist, upon returning from the war he couldn't find work with the pharmaceutical companies due to racism. He turned to teaching, which he said was the best move he ever made. During his presentation he hammered home that kids, and adults, have no excuse nowadays for poor education or lack of knowledge. He was referring particularly to world events - the former Yugoslavia, Rwanda, Iraq and others. He was quite adamant that people don't make enough use of the internet to educate themselves and wanted the young people in the audience to take control of their destiny by learning everything they could about history and how that will affect their future. Not just the view presented between commercials by Fox news etc.

If only there were more people in the world with his breadth of vision. Although he was 83, his mother only died 6 years ago (born 1891) and his grandfather died aged 111, so I hope he has many more opportunities to encourage broad views.

airship
22nd Mar 2005, 14:43
He turned to teaching, which he said was the best move he ever made. Some of us find themselves in the particularly happier situation of being paid to impart wisdom. Some of us however, endeavour to do it gratuitously...nontheless ;)

tony draper
22nd Mar 2005, 14:52
A reluctance to ask questions by our young? being informed is uncool, Teacher on the telly tother night said he knows for a fact if he asks a question in class, people are reluctant to raise a hand when they certainly know the answer ,lest they be classed as swots and incure the wrath of the knuckle walkers.
Tiz sad.
:(

BillHicksRules
22nd Mar 2005, 15:35
TD,

As someone whose mother and wife a high school teachers I know all too well the plight of the education system in this country.

Cheers

BHR

airship
22nd Mar 2005, 15:39
They must be teaching in the Highlands then BHR, if they're in the high schools...

(OK, I'll get me coat and take the low road...) :O

BillHicksRules
22nd Mar 2005, 15:41
Airship,

Theres your taxi mate?

Thanks for calling.

Cheers

BHR

BenThere
22nd Mar 2005, 15:56
Alas, the US and many countries are going down this road. I like to think I try to resist the loss of freedom caused both by PC attitudes and establishment of religious dogma as the basis for edicts and legislation.

I think, though, the establishment clause in the US is often abused to prevent religious expression by Christians rather than to ban state establishment of religion, which is more of a first amendment infringement. Since most religions are against a lot of the things I like and think are OK, such as alcohol, sex, gambling, cussing, etc., I haven't been an active participant, despite some significant spiritual and deistic proclivities.

Christians, Muslims, Atheists, Humanists, and everyone else should be able to peddle their ideas and reel in those who bite. The real danger is more in restricting their right to sell than the risk of us being forced to buy.

If we must restrict religious tenets, let's start with honor killings and sentences of death for apostasy.

Caslance
22nd Mar 2005, 22:02
OK.

I give up.

What the blimmin' **** is he on about? :confused:

It is One Ball, isn't it?

Dead_Heading
22nd Mar 2005, 22:44
His posts generally made sense...

Caslance
22nd Mar 2005, 23:10
Sorry - who are we talking about now? :E

BlueDiamond
23rd Mar 2005, 07:55
"Some IMAX theatres are refusing to show movies that mention evolution or the Big Bang because of protests by religious groups who say the ideas contradict the Bible.
Perhaps the non-religious groups need to do some protesting of their own that the Bible contradicts their ideas and that religious movies should, therefore, not be shown.

I think it just goes to show how dangerous religious fanatics can be.

reynoldsno1
23rd Mar 2005, 22:18
BTW, for all the scoffing non-believers, it's still perplexing to see how many "pray for" the poor tsunami victims or "thank God" some were spared, etc, etc, etc.... Make up your minds.

I know what you mean, I thank God I found atheism at a young age ....:}