PDA

View Full Version : Czech Airlines expansion from UK

goldeneye
21st Mar 2005, 21:35
From TTG 18 March 2005

Czech Airlines is looking at launching direct flights to PRG from Newcastle and Bristol, in addition to the current UK flights.
They are also looking at launching flights from Scotland to Baltic States ie Latvia, Estonia etc. They have already launched flights from Riga to Rome. These flights will be direct and not via PRG.

Good news i think.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
21st Mar 2005, 22:16
Very interesting, but have they got the traffic rights.

I know they are going to operate 3 a day from Manchester some days

The Czech travel undustry must be rubbing their hands with the increase from the UK in the last few years except for
the Stag night groups which I believe a real pain in the a**e

G-I-B

Oshkosh George
21st Mar 2005, 22:20
Are they not all in the EU now? If so,then traffic rights do not come into the equation,it's a free for all!

Just did a check,and all countries mentioned are in the EU,and any EU airline can fly to any EU destination.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
22nd Mar 2005, 06:09
Thanks Oshkosh must admit it was late and had only just got home from work and could not be bothered to check that

G-I-B

terrier21
30th Mar 2005, 04:44
I know Easyjet loads are good on PRG routes but aren't Czech Airlines quite expensive?

pwalhx
30th Mar 2005, 07:21
No Czech Airlines aren't necessarilly expensive, my two most recent trips with them from Manchester to Prague have been £86 and £98 return respectively which compares well with LCC.

jabird
30th Mar 2005, 11:03
And wouldn't they also want to push PRG as a possible gateway hub to push east. Not just Eastern Europe, but doesn't it also open up various Asian cities, which can be reached without a change of crew.

I know they are talking about wanting to do this at BBI, but I would imaging PRG's operating costs will be much lower, and it also has a natural head start, due to the facilities already being there.

WATABENCH
30th Mar 2005, 11:15
Be very suprised if they wanted to challange EZY in BRS, as far as i'm aware PRG is one of the busiest routes operated here.
Would the airport want to risk upsetting their largest airline?:confused:

nef
30th Mar 2005, 13:30
OK do seem quite keen on setting up PRG as an E. European hub - They seem to push this a bit for their Scottish flights as well as just carrying point-to-point pax.

I personally get the impression that OK are pretty cheap - Whilst I doubt they can match EZYs lowest fares, I think that they can still match the middle to high end. OK already compete with locos from London as well as MAN, BHX and GLA. At GLA, OK and GSM started their services on the same day at the beginning of Nov last year - OK must be doing all right despite the competition cause they have just upped frequency to 10xweekly.

pwalhx
30th Mar 2005, 14:15
Missed this from my earlier post. OK seem to have been particularly succesfull at attracting transit pax, to the likes of Bulgaria, Ukraine, Russia etc. I would say on the flights I went on a large proportion of pax where transfer rather than point to point.

And as they offer a good service too I believe they will prosper.

WHBM
30th Mar 2005, 15:54
OK seem to have a good compromise between the major carriers and the low fare people, good in-flight catering, and a hub operation at Prague in the US style, with banks of flights in the same direction arriving, then departing. They also take pride in not losing bags in the transfer (AMS please note).

They pick up a lot of business between Western and Eastern European cities, I've had trips with them London - Prague - St Petersburg at holiday times with fares a quarter of what BA wanted.

goldeneye
30th Mar 2005, 17:15
Whilst I doubt they can match EZYs lowest fares

I have actually seen OK's flights for £ 47 return, ex STN & LGW
cant remember exact dates, but was booked in its cheapest class, G i think it is.

7006 fan
30th Mar 2005, 17:46
The connection MAN PRG KBP is darn good. I enjoy flying Czech Airways, also have no complaints about Ukraine Air International or AeroSwift (Aerosvit). They make you appreciate flying again, not that I am knocking BA etc but am just a scheduled officianado.