PDA

View Full Version : Atpl Exams Ireland

Boeing737
7th Mar 2005, 18:34
Hi, im looking to undertake a JAA ppl course in naples Florida in the summer. As the ground school exams are CAA UK exams, i was wondering if there is ANYWHERE in the republic of ireland that these studies can be undertaken before i travel to florida to undertake ppl flight training.From what i have heard and read this is the best decision.Many thanks,
regards

Keygrip
8th Mar 2005, 01:30
The STUDIES can be undertaken anywhere - because it's self study from the books that you buy.

The EXAMS at the end of the study - try calling PTC at Waterford (I've no idea of the number) - they have satellite approval through a Bournemouth school, it's quite possible that they have a set of PPL papers.

Note: For professional licences you can do one JAA state written exams and another states flying training. For PPL you CANNOT - so make sure the papers are UK CAA PPL papers.

darragh_ptc
8th Mar 2005, 09:23
Boeing - check your PM's for a message...

conor_mc
8th Mar 2005, 10:19
Darragh, I might also be interested in this route. Could you also PM me if you have any info.

Cheers,

cm

Boeing737
8th Mar 2005, 12:05
hi darragh, i just sent you a pm.Thanks
Yeah conor, i hope to go the naples route for the ppl + night rating.And possibly hour building.Then to ptc waterford for the rest.When are you thinking of heading out?p.s thanks for the help keygrip.

Dr. Gonzo
8th Mar 2005, 13:39
Hi guys,

Boeing,
I'm thinking of doing the same myself during the summer. I haven't decided betwen Naples and EFT yet, but I'll more than likely head to PTC afterwards. I called down there not long after it opened and I was very impressed. The people there were very friendly and it seems like it would be a excellent place to learn the trade.

Darragh,
Can you PM me also? I don't wanna be left out!!

Cheers

conor_mc
8th Mar 2005, 14:40
Doing the exams in Northern Ireland might also be an option - Belfast Flying Club, for example, are an authorised test centre.

fonz77
13th Mar 2005, 03:22
Hey,
Sorry for coming in on this late. I am in a similar frame of mind at the moment as well, ppl in Florida and then to PTC in Waterford. Visited them and came away very positive.
Anyway regarding PPL groundschool, there is an organisation based at Cork airport called Atlantic and they running a course for €300, one or two nights a week. It's starting around the 19th of March but i spoke to someone there and he said they run it every 3 months. Also based at Cork airport are Southaer but their course runs through the winter and is coming to a close.

darragh_ptc
18th Mar 2005, 14:33
Conor Mc, Gonzo,

Have PM'd you both.

flyndad
21st Mar 2005, 20:05
Are the exams in Ireland the same as any other Europen country?
I have been told that the IAA do not recognise distance learning study commenced in the UK.

conor_mc
22nd Mar 2005, 14:22
Thats what I've read here before. They'll accept full-time UK courses because there aren't any available in Ireland, but if you want to do a DL course, it has to be an IAA-approved course rather than CAA-approved.

Can't see the sense in it, but thats the IAA for you!

Simon_Sez
22nd Mar 2005, 14:25
In answer to your question, the ATPL's in Ireland are still JAR approved so you won't get a "lesser" licence or anything. However, as it stands, if you study with an Irish company and sit your exams under the IAA, you can only undertake flight training for the CPL with an Irish FTO.
There is a loophole at the moment that allows you to take the IAA ATPL's and do your flight training in the USA but each case is dealt with individually and loopholes always get closed sooner or later so please don't bank on that.
Pilot Training College (PTC - www.pilottraining.ie) are currently lobbying quite intensively for this rule to be changed so if you're not in a major rush, hang on a couple of months, give them a call and see what happens. I'm currently doing my PPL with them and have had a look at their ATPL course which is done through Naples Air Centre. It's superb.

Simon.

gap
5th Apr 2006, 20:29
Hi folks,
I am looking for information from anybody who used (National Flight Centre or Pilot Training College Ireland) for the ATPL ground course. Good or bad???
I was initially going to do the distance learning course with Oxford or Bristol, but if I can cut out the trips to the UK for two week crammers / exams and get same quality closer to home I'll take it.
Gap

CaptainKC
3rd May 2006, 17:21
NFC or PTC 3.5k verses 2.5k my concern is the back up and the brush ups, the brush ups in the uk will be excellent, if you get any info let me know cheers

:ok: