PDA

View Full Version : Zero Income Tax?

tony draper
21st Mar 2005, 20:58
Just listened to a item on the news re retirement plans in the USA, the blokey reporting said Nevada is a Zero Income Tax State, did one hear that right???

:confused:

goates
21st Mar 2005, 21:06
Why do you think singers like Celine Dion move there? Guess the State makes enough off of gambling.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/nevada/

goates

PerArdua
21st Mar 2005, 21:08
Drapes
I believe Andorra is zero tax if you spend 3 months there a year. Good Skiing and cheap too!!!

PA:ok:

tony draper
21st Mar 2005, 21:14
Hhhh,great idea,remember the UK didn't have income tax until 1914 I think it was.
:cool:

reynoldsno1
21st Mar 2005, 21:46
This doesn't mean you don't pay income tax - there are still federal taxes to pay. In some states you also pay income taxes to the local city/town.....:*

CarltonBrowne the FO
21st Mar 2005, 21:52
Mr Draper, I think it was 1814; introduced temporarily to pay for the Napoleonic War? Wonder if we'll have paid it off any time soon?

Onan the Clumsy
21st Mar 2005, 21:55
Texas as well and I believe New Hampshire also.

As has been pointed out though, there is always Federal Income Tax and some cities like New York have a City Tax. Just so as to not miss out on all the commuters, they also levy a Commuter Tax on people living in New Jersey and Connecticut (etc) if they work in the city during the day. Not sure how they collect the last one though.

Here in Texas, Sales tax is perhaps a little higher than in some other states. We pay 7.5% (I think) I'm not sure exactly as in Dallas it's 8.25%, with the extra bits being added on for various municipal activities like the public transport.

Sales Tax is a little like VAT, except many things like food (but not prepared food) are exempt. It's not cumulative like VAT, and it's added on after the purchase is rung up, so if you see postcards at 25c each, don't get four of them if you only have a dollar :*

Then there's property taxes too, which are similar to the rates and fund municipal services like the dustbinmen and the scuffers and the spotty little oiks at school

Miserlou
21st Mar 2005, 23:08
The tax system in England has it's origins back in the time of the Danegeld.

Not a lot of people know that or would care if they did.

Incidentally, the Danish government still has a department dedicated to the memory and traditions of those raping and pillaging vikings...
The tax department!

Blacksheep
22nd Mar 2005, 00:42
Income Tax is zero rated here in Borneo too. One reason why I've been here so long. I've forgotten what the other reason was...

Oh yes. The wildlife or is that wild life?

Tim_CPL
22nd Mar 2005, 02:25
As mentioned no state tax in Texas, but my property tax is $8,900 a year, for a 3,000 sq.ft house!

- Tim

tinpis
22nd Mar 2005, 02:34
And the pay is 3 bucks an hour...

Onan the Clumsy
22nd Mar 2005, 02:50
Fookin 'ell Tim. Can I come and stay?

I thought mine was bad at six grand.

Tarnished
22nd Mar 2005, 03:33
Think I may just have buiilt the noose that fits perfectly around my neck. Oops, not had my first bill yet but had significantly more sq ft than Tim_CPL, t'was so cheap to build it!!!

Still its only money and you can't take it with you now can you?

Blacksheep
22nd Mar 2005, 08:10
My Grandad always said that you can take it with you.

Just die in debt and you get more out of life than you put in...

Paterbrat
23rd Mar 2005, 20:06
Or cash up everything change it all into Travellers cheques and have it cremated with you.

Burnt Fishtrousers
23rd Mar 2005, 20:18
Just listened to a item on the news re retirement plans in the USA, the blokey reporting said Nevada is a Zero Income Tax State, did one hear that right???

Yeah but a pint of milk is 300...besides if Celine Dion lives there Zero Tax would be only incentive for anyone to move there...that and a free set of ear plugs:E

zed3
23rd Mar 2005, 20:50
Have friends out there in Nevada ( Vegas ) , I visit every November . Each year John looks to the sky and the approach pattern and says " ahh , more visitors to pay my taxes ! " That's just the State taxes though , they still have to pay Federal Tax .

1DC
23rd Mar 2005, 22:21
The ultimate calculation is to be borrowing off your kids for the last six months of your life, just to get a fraction of it back......