PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training at Epic Aviation in New Smyrna Beach, Florida

cforst513
21st Mar 2005, 19:40
Hi everyone. I'm a 21 year old soon-to-be college grad in the US. I am researching different flight schools to attend after graduation this May in order to get my fixed-wing flying certificates (PPL through MEI). I have narrowed the search down to two schools:

Mazzei Flying Service in Fresno, California (www.flymfs.com)
Epic Aviation in New Smyrna Beach, Florida (www.epicaviation.com)

Both have a 'professional pilot program'. I have visited Mazzei but have yet to get to Epic. I am basically asking if anyone out there has any useful information on Epic. I understand that they have a nearly new and well-maintained fleet. But what about the quality of training, housing, etc? I requested info through the mail, but it has yet to show up. I might give them a call here soon, but I'm trying to avoid getting the same old song-and-dance routine that they give to perspective students. Any info, good or bad, would be much appreciated. All you Mazzei people, feel free to chip in as well. I did a search on this forum for both schools and came out empty handed concerning Epic. Thanks everyone, and safe flying!

~Chad

mike halls
21st Mar 2005, 20:02
hey

check your private messages

mike

cforst513
21st Mar 2005, 20:19
anyone else care to chime in? the more the merrier!!

landingspeed
22nd Mar 2005, 12:16
hello chad,

There are a couple of schools in florida
epic is not really known on the website but they have a
nice fleet mainly new aircraft,and then some others that have a mix of a fleet.
It really depends on you and your opinion also, I would check
out epic and there is also two schools in deland one being
tabexpress and aussie air.

the websites are www.tabexpress.com and aussie-air.com

good luck

check your PMS

brad

Flyrr100
23rd Mar 2005, 12:02
Chad,
I'm not sure about California, but in Florida, especially during the summer, most of your flying will either be at night or early in the morning. Florida tends to have bad weather starting at around midday and fizzling out around 9pm.
I fly for Chautauqua based in Orlando. After 9pm we hear hunderds of flight school aircraft out there flying approaches up and down the east coast.
Just food for thought. I took my basic flight training in Texas. Huge sky and pretty good weather most of the year. I worked in Nevada as an instructor. Great weather all year round.
Good luck.

SCruiser
6th May 2005, 00:58
Has anyone been to aussie-air at Deland, FL lately?.
Any experiences from there?

Thinking of going there later this year for some flying.

Thanks!.
:ok:

FlyFloats
22nd Jun 2005, 19:06
In case anyones interested, or has sent them money (!), TAB Express of Deland, Florida (http://www.tabexpress.com/) have gone under bigtime, may have taken Aussie-Air with them.

Aussie-Air's phones have been disconnected for a week, although their website is still up.

Be careful out there, especially about sending money to flight schools in advance.

FlyFloats
CFII
Daytona Beach, Florida

About EPIC Aviation - being a local here in Daytona Beach, I\'d say again, be careful.

I have heard good of them, and I\'ve heard bad things, both from follks who used them for training and who worked there.
But I have not had any personal experience.

Rule #1:
Do NOT send money in advance directly to any flight school for training; select an intermediary trust-account service to hold the money and they can pay the school while you are flying.

Rule #2: See Rule #1...

There\'s a local company in Daytona who can help you with this if required - I\'ll look them up if anyone\'s interested.

Fly Floats
CFII
Daytona Beach, Fla

Farrell
22nd Jun 2005, 19:23
Yeah......aussie air has a "all block booking must be paid upfront in cash or by wire transfer"!!!!

Number one rule......never give money up front!

That's enough to make me suspicious.

FlyFloats
22nd Jun 2005, 22:05
Here's the story about TAB Express going down -

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/Business/Headlines/03BusinessBIZ01061605.htm

FlyFloats
CFII
Daytona Beach

Excerpt -

"DeLand flight school abruptly shuts down

By JOE CREWS
Business Writer

Last update: June 16, 2005

DELAND -- Citing a financing dispute with a bank in Cleveland, a DeLand-based flight school and airline suddenly closed its doors Wednesday.

TAB Express International, which has operated a pilot-training program at 955 Singleton Drive at the DeLand Airport since 2000, said it was "ceasing flight and training operations immediately" because of "a dispute with Key Bank regarding funding of its students and operations of the flight school."

Philip_123
26th Jul 2005, 14:12
Hi Cforst, I've also found some information about Mazzei Flying Service. Could you please share your impression and comment on the school with me?

thanks!

wesp
9th Aug 2005, 01:07
I've been there a couple of times, to get fuel. It seems like a professional operation to me. They have very nice new Cessna aircraft, and it seems to be well organized.

New Smyrna is also a very nice place in Florida.