PDA

View Full Version : Total Time

ABO944
21st Mar 2005, 18:55
Could someone tell me if my FNPT2 hours from the IR course, can be counted towards the total time which I would quote on my CV?

I did a total of 35 hours in the sim, but im not sure if its actually counted as my total time or not??!!

Thanks

:ok:

CosmosSchwartz
21st Mar 2005, 21:26
For ATPL issue, you can count 100 hours sim time, of which 25 can be FNPTII. Nothing to stop you mentioning it on your CV, how you word it is up to you!

Pilot Pete
22nd Mar 2005, 10:54
Covered many times before, in some depth. The sim hours count towards licence issue, but all the airlines I know of in the UK want to know how many hours you have flying aeroplanes, not sims.

Once employed by an airline you will not find any pilots who count their sim time towards their TT and that includes hundreds of hours in considerably more sophisticated sims than FNPTIIs........

PP

fernytickles
22nd Mar 2005, 12:19
PP - "Once employed by an airline you will not find any pilots who count their sim time towards their TT and that includes hundreds of hours in considerably more sophisticated sims than FNPTIIs........"

How very kind of you to put across every pilot's view - have you spoken to ALL those airline pilots? Personally I find those sim hours were probably the ickiest flying I had to do. I've never had so many engine failures, systems failures or unconscious colleagues in the real world, and I don't suppose I'm alone in that. And what about all the pilots who spend much of their career instructing in the sim - do you think they discount those hours as irrelevant? I doubt it.

Personally I'd go by the rules as quoted by Cosmos, and enjoy every hour, sim or otherwise.

Loony_Pilot
22nd Mar 2005, 21:59
Under no circumstances should you quote sim time in your total flying hours... by all means put your sim time on the CV, but DO NOT count it in your hours total.

fernytickles
22nd Mar 2005, 23:03
Why not? In all the interviews I have had, no one has said that the sim hours should not be included as part of your total time.

Pilot Pete
22nd Mar 2005, 23:09
ferny

I haven't said that the hours weren't of any value....just that I know of no airline that counts them towards TT when it comes to things like Commands where a minimum number of hours is required to be considered. For this reason I know of no pilot who counts them as part of their TT. If you do, then fine, I wasn't trying to speak for all pilots so accept that you will not find any pilots was badly worded. Let me know what reason you have for someone counting them in their TT, as I can't think of one.

Applying for a sim instructing job and mentioning how many hours sim instructing you have would of course be a different matter....but I don't think that is of any relevance to the initial poster.

As for including them in your TT when you have minimal hours, I think could possibly be seen as trying to claim something you don't have. If you don't agree, why wouldn't a low hours pilot go 'hour building' in a nice cheap sim to get his TT up?

PP

Clandestino
23rd Mar 2005, 08:37
My company follows the policy of local (non-JAA) CAA which is: simulator time can be counted towards the total time if it is done on level C or D FFS as a part of type rating training or sim checkride. FNPT time and MCC courses (even if done on level C) don't count. Please don't tell me that my eventual interview with Ryan/Easy/whatever could go like this: "Mr C we see that you've attended your 6-month sim checks regularly, please subtract 12 hr from your TT for each year spent flying the line and don't forget 42hr of your initial trainning as our company counts only hours spent in the actual air".
I really hope I've understood previous posts too literally.

javelin
23rd Mar 2005, 08:58
It looks like a 320, it smells like a 320, it flies like a 320, it goes down in the book as a 320.....................

I log in the appropriate place in my book, then transfer forward onto the current page, when asked for total time, I give total time flying machines that either fly or are legally offered as zero flight time simulators :ok:

ABO944
23rd Mar 2005, 17:18
Bit confused now.

Remember, I have just finished my training, I dont work for an airline yet! The amount of hours I have is equivalent to a piss in the ocean compared to you chaps flying for a living!

If the total number of hours on a JAA IR course is 50, then even if 35 of them are in the simulator, it seems funny that I cant quote these in my "total hours".

These hours are still part of my experience / training, so I think they should be included.

Some of you seem to agree, others dont, but is there an actual rule about this, from the CAA ? Would it be in the bible (Lasors)?

Piltdown Man
23rd Mar 2005, 18:51
I must sound like a broken record - count hours which are not yours at your peril! The chaps (and chapessess) who do the hiring expect a 200 hour pilot to fly like one. Turn up with more and you will be assessed as having more! If that more doesn't exist, then expect to be found out PDQ! And take it from me, the talk amongst themselves - small world aviation!

CosmosSchwartz
23rd Mar 2005, 23:09
ABO944 - It's all in LASORS. I didn't make up my first reply, I got it from LASORS!

LASORS, however, does not provide rules on CV completion! As I said, it all depends how you word it. You can't include it as total flight time, but you could say "Total time at end of course 220 hours, including 30 multi, 120 single and 50 FNPTII" or something similar. Your total flying time is whatever you have in your logbook, not including the page at the front where you stick your sim times!