View Full Version : FAA learning from the UK CAA....or....BOHICA Time!

SASless
21st Mar 2005, 16:30
We have often compared the US and UK systems of funding the FAA and CAA. We have been very fortunate in the USA not to have the burden of paying out of pocket for our dealings with the FAA as the Brits do.....but if all the information in these articles is true....BOHICA Time approaches. (BOHICA....defined as being..."Bend Over...Here it comes again!)

USER FEES LOOMING?
Could the United States soon join the majority of countries in which pilots and/or aircraft owners are charged user fees to fund airspace, airport and navigation operation and infrastructure? From the way senior government officials were talking at the FAA's 30th Annual Forecast Conference in Washington, things could be moving in that direction. With the agency predicting a 45-percent increase in air travel in the next 10 years and the federal government in need of controlling its spiraling debt, the FAA would appear to be running out of palatable choices. "Our workload goes up, our revenue goes down," FAA Administrator Marion Blakey remarked. "We need a revenue stream based both on our costs and on our actual units of production." Secretary of Transportation Norman Mineta also talked of the need for a "new revenue stream" (not increases in the old revenue streams, a new revenue stream). "Not on our watch," said AOPA President Phil Boyer. More...

...WORKLOAD UP, REVENUE DOWN...
According to FAA predictions, the number of passengers boarding airliners in the U.S. will top one billion by 2015 compared to about 550 million this year. Couple that with a trend toward smaller aircraft on more direct flights and declining air fares (which are taxed to fund the FAA) and it looks like trouble is brewing -- or is it? Blakey and Mineta were careful to point out that the government is working on resolving air traffic issues. "We are redesigning airspace, deploying new software that will help increase capacity and putting new procedures in place," Blakey said. "We will be ready." What that form of readiness will be is another question. More...

...AMID STRANGE SPENDING PRIORITIES
One of the curiosities of FAA budget priorities may be expressed in the veritable building boom of control towers across the country. Multimillion-dollar towers, many of them 200 feet tall or more, are being built all over the country. In a lot of cases the towers are being built long before they are needed, according to the airport officials being quoted. And while there seems to be money (and apparently a perceived need) to build state-of-the-art new towers, the equipment being installed in some of them was created when bell bottoms were popular (... the first time). More

L'WAAPAM
21st Mar 2005, 17:30
I'm new here and would like to pass on my thanks to SASLess for the advice he has given me on various issues.

As for the post dont know much about the FAA. What I do know first hand that the UK CAA are a money grabbing bunch of @rseholes.

If you need proof, download the latest summary of charges!!!

Unfortunateley if you expect to get a JAA Licence in the UK then you to will have to jump through the many hoops that will probably turn you from a spritely young pilot into a sour old GIT!!

But fret not!!! Its only taken me 3 Months(so Far) so most people will have lots of time (But I do have a little bit of experience)

From what I've been told/adviced go for a FAA/Canadian licence lot less heart ache and money.

But then I might just be Bitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L'

slowrotor
22nd Mar 2005, 16:04
For the three million the Federal Aviation Administration usully spends on a new tower, they could have built three new grass airstrips. No need for any towers with the traffic cut into thirds. Oh well, I guess I see it from a different perspective.

ATPMBA
22nd Mar 2005, 16:17
Whatever happened to the billions in the aviation trust fund? It seems no one brings it up anymore.

SASless
22nd Mar 2005, 17:41
Same as the Social Security trust fund...spent....on General Fund projects....(read: Pork Barrel politics):mad:

Widger
23rd Mar 2005, 08:43
At least the charges keep the Chavs and Pikeys out of the air!!

TheFlyingSquirrel
23rd Mar 2005, 08:56
Pikeys? Why would it keep them away? They're not going to bother to get licensed, taxed and insured in the first place? Actually, it would be a great idea for their spotters to go out looking for pitches in a heli? Imagine them towing R22's behind their brand new Shoguns !!

Head Turner
23rd Mar 2005, 09:18
Yes charges are excessively high at the UKCAA along with other high charges inflicted on UK citizens.
I had a few idle moments and calculated that for every landing fee collected the CAA took the biggest chunk by way of licencing charges for ATC, Fire and Airport together with passenger charges.
In their defence I have to say there are some really helpful and competant people working within the UKCAA. However, the majority seem to be, one has to say, unbelievably poor in ability but rich on income.

L'WAAPAM
23rd Mar 2005, 15:35
HT

Quote"Yes charges are excessively high at the UKCAA along with other high charges inflicted on UK citizens"

They are, They are, But why??? The end just does not seem to justify the means!!!

Only a sustained complaint might have any effect, but probably not, otherwise it would have been done/tried before.

Obviously knowone cares or it would have been bought to light before this, or the CAA dont care/mind.

L'

fluffy5
23rd Mar 2005, 18:53
so what have the caa done with million quid I gave them ......!
Are the subsidised sandwiches not enough,the two hour tea breaks and take your number please we will be with in 5 hours.....?
new leather sofas every ten years ?
my names wan and I live in outer mongolia.......not serial no' ja2321...
:E