PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an Air Hostess?

airspeed999
21st Mar 2005, 12:31
Hi
I've tried the guide at the top of the page and the search feature but I can't find the answer to these 3 questions.

What education grades do you need to become an air hostess?
GCSE? A levels?
How many? What grades?
I suppose different airlines have different rules but could you give some examples please.

How long is the training?
I suppose it depends on the airline so could you give examples.

What is the "safety" role?
Lots of cabin attendants say their primary there for safety not to serve drinks, tea and coffee and sell duty free but nobody ever says what the safety role is. After the doors are shut and you've got everyone's safely strapped in for the take off what safety jobs are there until you get everyone strapped in again for the landing? (and if there's turbulence)
I mean on most flights, I know there's jobs to do if there's an emergency.

Thanks.
Sally

Piltdown Man
21st Mar 2005, 12:49
From what I've heard from those down the back:

1. Five GCSE's, including English - grades reasonable. Most airlines also go "Wow!" on foreign languages of any kind!
2. Training, from walking through the door to flying - six weeks or so (although training never stops).
3. In flight, our passengers don't always function as they should. There are no ambulances, just you. So if they become ill they are your responsibility until you land. Also, they have a nasty habit of fighting, getting drunk, interferring with things they shouldn't etc. Your job is to stop them, either by refusing them in the first place or preventing (or stopping) these things in flight. Also, when we in the bit with the windows foul up, your job starts.

Also, most prefer to be known as Cabin Crew. Stewardesses are those people who work in questionable drinking establishments. May I suggest that you call an airline and speak to their Personnel Department - When you call, remember it's their job to speak to people like you!

Best of Luck,

Piltdown.

OzzieO
21st Mar 2005, 14:02
"Also, most prefer to be known as Cabin Crew. Stewardesses are those people who work in questionable drinking establishments".

Don't you mean Hostesses are those people who work in questionable drinking establishments???

brain fade
21st Mar 2005, 14:40
Sally
I prefer your term, 'Air Hostess'. So much more elegant than 'cabin crew' or whatever.
In my opinion the best hosties are the ones who genuinely like people and who are easy to get on with, which seems to be most of ours.
I'm sure you'll make a most becoming hostie.:ok:

OZcabincrew
21st Mar 2005, 15:27
I believe the "politically correct" term used now is
"Flight Attendant", as "Air Hostess" refers to women, where now there are obviously a lot of men doing the job and have been for quite some time. I also know a few female Flight Attendants that if you called them a "hostie" or "Air Hostess", they would rip you to shreds. So to be safe, I would say Flight Attendant.

Good luck!!!!

SydEY
22nd Mar 2005, 04:10
Hi Sally, firstly good luck with your research and applications.

I know most airlines only require you to have passed high school education at the minimum. You dont need to do any specific courses or have any specific type of education.

Yes training does vary from airline to airline but it seems to average at about 6weeks.

And dont worry about using the politically correct terminology cuz you cant please everyone. Im sure you werent trying to offend.

RollzRoyce
22nd Mar 2005, 05:18
Hi Sally!

Even if you haven't done too well in high school, most airlines will be looking at Customer Service skills and experience. Achieving top or average marks don't mean much to airlines in Oz. Its all about your customer service experience as I said.

Or...if you have completed a vocational course such as Hospitality or something related to the industy...this will also look good when you are putting in your application.

Hope this helps

Rollz :ok:

flyingdutchman
22nd Mar 2005, 07:22
Sally,

It would vary per airline.

You could look here (http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com/roledescription.jsp?ID=3840595&MODE=2) for instance.

Good luck :ok:

Piltdown Man
22nd Mar 2005, 11:35
I wasn't trying to start a fight. I'll refer to those who do the hard work (when we are not) by any title they wish. But it won't change my attitude toward them nor my respect for them!