PDA

View Full Version : oat selection

RoyBoy20
21st Mar 2005, 11:36
Hey there

just wana know how hard the oxford assesment interview is. i got the app selection coming up soon. I here its quite tough, any advice on the selection would help a lot. maybe there a few oxford grads out there.

Cheers

GRANTS
23rd Mar 2005, 20:09
Sleep good, have breakfast, try to avoid a long trip.
be yourself and do your best.
if you have got what it takes you´ll pass.
they are not lookig for top-guns.

good louck.

Leo45
24th Mar 2005, 07:31
Even though some of their students like to think they are "top guns"...just have to go the local Sainsbury to see a few specimen showing off in their "splendid" uniforms..:rolleyes:

GRANTS
24th Mar 2005, 11:14
so go to TESCO :)

Leo45
24th Mar 2005, 11:51
You'll find a few specimen there too, displaying the same arrogance that 200hrs (most of which under supervision) of "commercial" flying training impart...:ugh:

madmandan1
23rd Aug 2005, 11:46
Just wondered.. i have got my APP selection coming up.. and i was wondering how do i prepare myself for it.. how do i know what i need to know for the test.. many sleepless nights due to the worrying have been getting to me.. can anyone give me any handy hints of how to do well.. or how to pass the test?!?!

Cheers

Ockham and hold
23rd Aug 2005, 14:16
like GRANTS says, just get a good night sleep before and arrive in plenty of time.

Brush up on basic mental arithmetic and GCSE physics stuff, the rest of what is tested can't really be practiced.

If its meant to be then you'll pass.

Best of luck,

OCK

Chrishammersley
23rd Aug 2005, 18:55
If your going to stay in accommodation (very unlikely as half the accommodation block is being closed for refurbishment) i.e. B&B for the selection, I will advise not to eat the food in the canteen, it tastes like ****, my advise would be to have breakfast in a B&B, have lunch and dinner in one of the pubs in Kidlington (the black horse is nice and cheap!) the selection isn't too difficult, just don’t be an arrogant arse in the team exercise, good luck though. Chris

V2andSOME
23rd Aug 2005, 19:43
madman1, if you are getting sleepless nights, don't please, if you are going to fork out 10 billion pounds on training then i think you are not the one who should worry, more that they may need the business. The tests are not bad, quite straight forward, be nice to people as you will be watched and observed! be yourself. The computer tests are maths, a little physics, hand-eye co-ordination. A personality test and memory skills. They look at the whole picture, if your meant to be then your meant to be, so chill, and enjoy it, lots of training between those three days and the CAA visit for licence issue. Good luck.

madmandan1
24th Aug 2005, 10:30
Cheers for the advice V2andSOME.. i got my selection on the 19th.. ****ting myself.. the next 4 weeks decides pretty much the rest of my life! Scary stuff ay! At the same time im quite excited about doing it! BTW Chrishammersley.. was you at the refresher course a few weeks back?

Dan

smith
24th Aug 2005, 13:32
The test is "Have you got £60k", "Yes", "Congratulations, when can you start?" I wouldn't worry about the tests, unless there is a total oversubscription of the course for a forseeable time. Ask yourself the question, "Would you say no to someone desperate to give you £60K"

Blinkz
24th Aug 2005, 13:39
Smith,
Thats not quite true, in my selection a number of people didn't make the grade, all of which had 60k+ waiting. OAT has a reputation to keep up and so they are just as concerned as you as to whether the cadets they accept can a) pass the course b) get a job.

Alex Whittingham
24th Aug 2005, 14:14
Oxford are quick to draw a distinction between 'selection', which applies to some sponsorship schemes and 'skills assessment' which applies to the unsponsored students. They are quite keen that you shouldn't confuse the two. More here (http://www.oxfordaviation.net/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1965) from Oxford's Mike Griffith.

smith
24th Aug 2005, 17:06
Blinkz

I stand corrected, maybe I'm still living in post 9/11 days when things were sparse for FTO's. I do understand the need to provide quality graduates.

SMith

Frank Furillo
24th Aug 2005, 17:44
You know, I have heard that there are pilots out there, with nice Jet jobs and they did not go to Oxford.....Horror
FF
PS Nice one Alex

Chrishammersley
24th Aug 2005, 20:36
madmandan1
nope wasn't at the refreshers week, i started on the 1st of august, bloody hard work, make sure this is totally what you want to do, as there is absolutely no way back, unless you can afford to loose a fortune.