PDA

View Full Version : BACX Interview - Urgent

Freebird17
21st Mar 2005, 08:24
BACX interview on Wednesday. Can anyone give me the lowdown on what to expect?

Examples of CRM-type questions would be particularly useful.

I've heard that it's similar to BA selection but I've also heard that it's not the same at all - can anyone confirm either way?

Have done a search but need more specific info.

Thanks!

jaarrgh
21st Mar 2005, 09:05
Don't think you will find any more details than on the thread for last September's recruiting. Mine was up at Manchester with a fleet manager and a captain. Thoroughly nice people and a relaxed and interesting interview of about 45 mins. There were no technical questions at all. I felt that they wanted to know you had an awareness of the business and current issues. It appeared as though they wanted to establish that you had a proper work ethic and shared their enthusiasm for the company and dedication to service. Other than various questions about my last (still here!) job that was about it. I don't think its a preparation interview in terms of learning things, more one of a wider understanding. But hey that's just my opinion.
Good luck. In return could you give your experience details and if it is for tp or jet? Much obliged.

Tallbloke
21st Mar 2005, 10:04
Freebird,

Congratulations on getting to interview.

Capt Ian Cheese spoke at the Flyer seminar last Saturday to give us a few pointers as to the BACX recruiting process. He did describe the interview, about what he was looking for (I cannot recall his title, but he is responsible for turboprop fleet recruitment). As a pilot (he flies the Dash-8) he seemed most concerned about 2 things. Firstly, in his words, "would I want to spend 8 hours in a telephone box with this person" ie will you fit in to the cockpit environment. Secondly, and he was very specific about this, he needs to see a demonstration from you that you can learn quickly, since the type rating / line training process is very intensive. He stressed the risk the airline was taking in training (if you are not suitable, they spend a lot of money and you fail the course).

Interestingly for us modular types he did support a comment made to the effect that the difference between integrated and modular courses was much narrower now, and that they were a lot more concerned about ability. On the other hand, it would appear that there are 3 flight schools from whom they would accept recommendations for low hours candidates ( I wonder which 3 schools they would be? He would not say but I am sure someone will be able to inform us...)

He also said that they do not accept CV's, only online applications, and the site is being rebuilt at present and might be up again next month.

Back to the post, Good luck with your interview Freebird.

endofeng
25th Mar 2005, 16:41
Oxford, Cabair and the sunny Spanish flying school!

I had interview last month(I'm ex Cab!), very relaxed interview, no tech questions, very nice people!

I'm sure all they were after was enthusiasm, committment and last but not least, 'would i like to sit next to this person for 6~8hrs in a cockpit????'

Anyway, I screwed up my sim assesment!

Boll*ck*

Sh*t happens!

Good luck, the interview is in Didsbury/Manchester, the Sim is at Cranebank, BAC1-11......Very nice, bit of a bug*ger to handle when all you are used to is a GA-7 though. Route-Birmingham to Trent VOR, Tracking direct to MCT at Manchester, into the hold for a vectored ILS, Go-Around for another vectored ILS to land.....Easy really! Honest.

Utilise the man in the left hand seat.....I didn't to my peril! This sim is to see if you can operate in a multi-crew environment. MCC all the way!!!!

:D

haughtney1
25th Mar 2005, 19:03
I had an interview with BACX around this time last year (unsucessfully). I can concur with tallblokes comments, the interview was very relaxed...more of a chat about your experience and how you got there, rather than anything to catch you out.
I was pretty much told that I missed out due to being a bit old..(30ish)..and having a wife and mortgage, as at that time they wanted guys/girls who were able to be super flexible.
As for the training risk....I guess thats in the eye of the beholder..PPrune and Astraeus have shown faith in me:ok:

flystudent
25th Mar 2005, 20:18
I have read all the threads on Citi express and wondered if anyone knows how big the "pool" is now, if it still exists ?
Reason being - If you were accepted to the course how long one might have to sit and wait to be offered a place.

Regards

FS

Riker
26th Mar 2005, 19:01
Are they hiring into the Avro? What's the likelihood of getting an Avro slot as a newhire? Where are the Avro bases - Man and LGW?

Cheers

spanner the cat
26th Mar 2005, 20:55
Riker

The RJs are currently based in MAN and BHX.

The RJs in MAN will be moved, by next year, 1 each to IOM and INV to replace 146's which are going, and the remainder to EDI. I believe BHX is losing a couple to EDI too.

Pilots are being recruited directly onto the RJ and Emb 145 fleets depending on experience although some of the latest batch going through are straight out of flying school
(I believe our lords and masters are calling it an experiment):\; normally those fresh from training with low hours are bundled onto the Dash 8.

Hope this helps.

Flying Mushroom
27th Mar 2005, 16:33
Is anyone still waiting in the TP Pool from last year. I believe there are three of us ... are you other two out there?

Are there any rumours/news on movement and recruitment in the TP fleet?

FM :D

Dirtbox
27th Mar 2005, 19:12
Mushroom - check your PMs

jaarrgh
28th Mar 2005, 13:23
Mushroom and Dirtbox? (not that I ever thought I would start a sentence like that). Am also stuck in the filter at the bottom of the pool. Last I heard from RH was much of the same, so sadly have nothing to add.
Would love to find out more about the experiment. Looking forward to the moment they find me in the drain.
PM me, if you want.

Tallbloke
29th Mar 2005, 08:27
For the guys in the pool...

Capt Cheese was also asked how long the wait in the pool is. As I recall his answer was something like, normally, not too long, although there are some people who were interviewed in October who are just starting their course. (his comments were at the Flyer seminar 19-3-05)

judge11
29th Mar 2005, 08:49
I'm aghast that CX are recruiting anybody at present and the fact that it is exemplifies its 'fiddle while Rome burns' philosophy.

DE recruits onto jets have caused much annoyance and resentment from much more senior TP FOs; latest cuts and fleet changes with the prospect of demotion and moves for 146 and RJ captains means mad scramble for ANY seats particularly at MAN; morale at lowest ebb since take over; even prospects of redundancies.

Congrats on getting the interview but if you have somewhere else to go consider it very seriously. Mangement not to be trusted - CX is a shambles manpower wise and about as secure as a chocolate bank vault. How long is your barge pole?:ugh:

endofeng
30th Mar 2005, 13:59
Most newly qualified (f)ATPL'ers would give their right testicle/ovary to get on the right hand seat of a 145 fleet!

Therfore, most i would think have pretty long barge poles!

Endof

headyheights
31st Mar 2005, 11:42
How the hell are any of you getting interviews. I keep looking on the BACX website which won't let you down load the application form because they are not currently recruiting?

Tallbloke
31st Mar 2005, 13:32
The guy from BACX who spoke at the Flyer seminar told me that their site is currently being rebuilt and he expected it to be up in "a few weeks". That was a fortnight ago.

Flying Mushroom
31st Mar 2005, 15:15
I believe interviews are being given to those who either applied last year but weren't interviewed before the recruitment ceased or to those who have recently finished training at one of the [three?] major approved schools.

From what I've heard, the website should be up and running in the next few weeks once the backlog from last year has been dealt with.

FM:ok:

Freebird17
31st Mar 2005, 19:58
Many thanks to those who posted and pm'd - much appreciated.

Experience - 1000 hours instructing and some multi time.

Pin Head
1st Apr 2005, 21:27
don't join - you will only want to leave.

License to Fly
2nd Apr 2005, 08:53
Pin Head,

Now that is not very constructive is it.

Wannabee pilots spend years of their lives training (and of course large amounts of money) and all you can come out with is a very negative one-liner. At least back it up with some facts and put a balanced view forward, without obviously clouding the facts.

I would say that BACX would make a great start for anyones flying career and a great stepping stone to getting the 'dream job' (whatever that may be for you). At least they are recruiting at the moment.

No job is ever going to be perfect and the way pilots get treated has changed - life changes - and we all need to get our heads around that and not live in the past.

LTF