PDA

View Full Version : Mpl

Grass strip basher
21st Mar 2005, 06:31
Anyone got the skinny on what this proposed new MPL (multi pilots licence) is going to involve? I have heard it mentioned on several occasions over the past few weeks but have to confess I still feel a little in the dark about it all.

Is this going to leave everyone with their CPL/IR very much the poorer relation of newly qualfied students with this "new super duper" rating.... or is it just an excuse to squeeze a bit more cash out of us when we are training??:confused:

Groundloop
21st Mar 2005, 08:13
The MPL is not definite yet but may come in about 2 years time. There is still a lot of work to be done.

From what I've heard it may actually be cheaper than the current CPL/IR as ALL flying training can be done on a single engined a/c.

There is a lot more simulator time proposed and virtually all exercises, both in the air and in the sim, will be multi-crew i.e. 2 students working together.

However the big problem that I see is that it is proposed that it includes a type rating. Now which type rating does a student elect to go for?

High Wing Drifter
21st Mar 2005, 08:55
From what I've heard it may actually be cheaper than the current CPL/IR as ALL flying training can be done on a single engined a/c.
For the self financed I imagine the cost will be more than a current Integrated scheme. The MPL is hinted as requireing 10 hours SEP and 50-60 hours full motion high fidelity (not sure what the proper term is) sim (737, A320, etc). For this reason, it will be cheaper for the likes of BA to train ab initio as they can further maximise the existing investment in their simulator and training infrastructure.

The course will incorporate a type rating and a mulit-crew IR. The license already exists, it is the syllabus that doesn't. Obviously, you will only be able to apply for jobs with airlines that require your type rating. To fly single pilot or another type would incur further expense.