PDA

View Full Version : Cheap flights Glasgow To Manchester

Ontariotech
20th Mar 2005, 20:34
Good day,

My mum and dad are traveling to the UK this coming April, 19th to whenever they get back.

I am looking for cheap flights from Glasgow to Manchester. April 19th DEP from EGCC, return to Glasgowon the 25th. Cheapest I have found so far is BMI 111.00 quid return. for 2 people.

Are there any other carriers flying that route, maybe some smaller airlines than BA, BMI etc?

Or if anybody could suggest a routing, like taking the train to another airport then flying to EGCC? Any suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
20th Mar 2005, 20:49
Have a look at Jet2 from Edinburgh

G-I-B

cossack
20th Mar 2005, 20:54
The train from Glasgow to Manchester takes 3-4 hours and is about GBP70 return each. Look here (http://www.thetrainline.com) for timetables, tickets and fares.
If I were them, I'd fly! The trains can be unreliable on the west coast main line. When I lived near Manchester, my MIL would come down by train and she had some real nightmares of 8-10 hours and finishing the journey by cab at 2 in the morning!
Best of luck.

jabird
20th Mar 2005, 20:58
I am looking for cheap flights from Glasgow to Manchester. April 19th DEP from EGCC, return to Glasgowon the 25th. Cheapest I have found so far is BMI 111.00 quid return. for 2 people

That is a pretty good price for two - £55 each, including two lots of taxes & charges x 2 directions. I can't see BA being much better.

Remember, this is mainly seen by the two network players as a business and feeder route.

Are there any other carriers flying that route, maybe some smaller airlines than BA, BMI etc?

As suggested, Jet 2 - but getting from EDI to Glasgow is a pain. Bus to Maybury roundabout, then wait (often in Glorious Scottish weather) for Citylink bus to Glasgow. Slightly warmer to get off airport bus at Haymarket, but train can be very pricey at wrong time of day, or if you are just getting a single. Cheaper is to go with GNER to Glasgow Central - £5 single iirc.

Or if anybody could suggest a routing, like taking the train to another airport then flying to EGCC?

How about taking Virgin Trains direct? The journey is only 3 hours or so, and a fairly easy change in Preston if no direct trains at times to suit. You should be able to find value fares booked online, but even the standard saver should be less than the prices quoted above.

Mark Lewis
20th Mar 2005, 21:34
BA is £117, so marginally more expensive. BA and bmi are the only operators on the route, and £55/£58 is pretty much as low as you can get on a domestic fare with a full service airline.

submariner
20th Mar 2005, 22:13
Try Glasgow to Liverpool instead. A lot cheaper.

At the moment it is £13.80 return each plus taxes - plus of course the rail fare between Liverpool/Manchester.

Flights are by Flybe.

Regards

CarltonBrowne the FO
20th Mar 2005, 22:40
Can I just add... if your parents stick with the fly GLA-MAN option, not only are we £3 cheaper than BA, but we use an Embraer145, BACX (as of this week anyway) are using DHC-8s, so we usually get there about 10-15 minutes quicker! Our gates are a shorter walk too... :)
A serious suggestion: give them the bmi web address, then have them search for flights themselves... I've noticed with searching from the US that the same tickets sometimes work out cheaper. It is certainly worth a try to see if they are also cheaper when ordered from Canada.

EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B
20th Mar 2005, 23:22
I would also try FlyBe Glasgow-Liverpool

Krystal n chips
21st Mar 2005, 06:41
This is a cost v time problem sadly. Travelling to LPL is fine, but you also have to factor in the journey from the Airport to the city centre--not sure if the bus stops at Lime Street Station--so add on a bit more for this part----and then wait for a train to Man. Picc Journey is about 1 hr--give or take---then another wait for a connection to MAN----another problem here is that your parents will be travelling on a Sunday---NOT a good prospect in the UK I have to say. As for the West Coast mainline--yes, you can get some good bargains--if you travel "off peak"--and can book well in advance on a specified train. There is, however, a major track upgrade currently in progress to the North of Preston so some delays are inevitable.
Daft as it might seem, as a cheap and viable option, take a Coach. The journey time is about the same and they have made serious efforts to improve the quality of the service and the vehicles--might not have the kudos or flying but not a bad way to enjoy viewing the UK at the same time. Concur with the suggestion they have a look at any bargains available to tourists as well. Hope this helps.

UFGBOY
21st Mar 2005, 10:28
Taxi or bus link to Hunts Cross from John Lennon, train to Manch

hope thats of use

World Traveller
21st Mar 2005, 12:48
2 people, return, £111? What's the problem? People have got to get away from this idea that every flight should cost a penny or a pound, I bet BMI aren't making much at £55.50/head.

As for other options, it really is very easy to train to Preston then change, or hell even go to Liverpool if you insist, the bus from the airport DOES stop at Lime St. station but the train to Manchester isn't the quickest. I wouldn't do the WCML north of Preston at the moment due to the infrastructure works going on.

WT
-just a punter with a slight grasp on reality.

CHIVILCOY
21st Mar 2005, 19:37
Definately go for the BMI or BA options seems a good price to me :ok:

With a good choice of flight timings and without the hassle of changing trains etc.