PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Navigation Alert?

Sunfish
20th Mar 2005, 19:44
I really don't know what all this is about, but when I saw it I wondered about TNP?

Navigation Alert Feb 2005 applying to Garmin GPS's

http://www.garmin.com/aviation/notices/Navigation_ALERT_030405.pdf

morning mungrel
20th Mar 2005, 23:31
Having read it, I don't see how the 2 can be related.

Sunfish
21st Mar 2005, 05:18
Have read it. This simple person wouldn't know how either. What is a DME arc and why would I want to fly one?

OzExpat
21st Mar 2005, 06:38
If you don't have a certification to fly instrument approaches, sunfish, you would not be expected to know what a DME Arc is. In essence, it provides a means for tracking during a segment (typically the initial segment) of an instrument approach procedure. The arc is specified as a distance from a DME and is a portion of the circle described by that radius.

I'm guessing that there are countries in the world that allow the use of GPS Receivers in tracking a DME arc. I know that use is made of this functionality by navaid calibration aircraft, when checking the calibration of VORs and NDBs. Personally, I fly a DME Arc by reference to the DME because PNG doesn't yet allow substitution of GPS in approach procedures.

I suspect that this alert may be the result of a software glitch.

Capt Claret
21st Mar 2005, 06:50
Ozex,

There was an alert for, I think, Jeppesen based databases some month or so ago. A notice to crew to the effect that there may be a problem and not to use the system until the position of each waypoint had been determined by the operating crew to be accurate.