PDA

View Full Version : Strange Phobias

tart1
20th Mar 2005, 19:35
The only phobia I have is a normal one - I am absolutely petrified of heights.

My son has just told me about one of his teachers who has a phobia about sprouting potatoes, would you believe?

I have never heard of anything like this and I don't wish to mock the afflicted but it seems laughable. Apparently she gets upset just by the mention of them and if you make sprouting gestures (?!!) with your hand that is bad too! An actual potato with sprouts would cause her to become hysterically upset apparently.

Maybe there are some very odd things like this around that I haven't heard of but I find it hard to believe, it just seems like a joke but she is dead serious about it.

Anyone else got anything they want to share with us?? :D

Rollingthunder
20th Mar 2005, 19:41
Sigmund - you there? There is a client waiting.

Me, none. I do get a little tipsey looking over the edge of the roofs of 70 storey buildings though. So I don't do that very often.

Whirlygig
20th Mar 2005, 19:48
I have the usual girly spider thing. Nothing weird in that. Desmond Morris has some "imaginative" theories as to why women are scared of snakes and spiders. All to do with male and female sexual organs. Apparently. :rolleyes:

I can sort of understand the sprouting potato thing. I remember that my parents used to keep a sack of potatoes in the dark in a bag under the stairs. I was asked to go and get a few potatoes and I didn't bother switching the light on. So I put my hand in the bag and screamed. They had all sprouted and were furry and horrible and....almost spider-like?? So I would wonder what else she is afraid of?

Cheers

Whirlygig (who is not scared of snakes :O )

Ascend Charlie
20th Mar 2005, 20:01
I suffer from Arachibutrophobia*.

* Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth.:8

Bigwings
20th Mar 2005, 20:25
Tart1 et al take a look here (http://www.unusualphobias.com/Phobias.html) or here (http://www.saviodsilva.net/ph/11.htm)

Bigwings :D

tart1
20th Mar 2005, 20:35
Fantastic site Bigwings!! :D

I thought Ascend Charlie's peanut butter phobia was a joke - now I see it's real.

I find it hard to believe or understand all these odd phobias - I mean fear of clocks or fear of daylight is going to be especially challenging to anyone who has to earn a living or lead a 'normal' life.

........but then what is normal ?? :}

SLFguy
20th Mar 2005, 20:35
We have a lass at work who is scared of 'roots', (queue Oz posters). If you shake an untrimmed spring onion at her she comes over all peculiar, (queue posters of all origins).

I thought she was kidding but then when we re-potted the office plants she had to leave the room!

tony draper
20th Mar 2005, 21:26
As I understand it a Phobia is a irrational fear, nowt irrationalk about being afeared of snakes and spiders,quite sensible to show em a lot of respect,likewise heights, although personnely one has no fear of heights, or of snakes for that matter, one just treats em with caution,
Spiders now thats different,one hates the big hairy feckers.
:confused:
Come to think one's sis used to be terrified of feathers,not the feathery type feather, but the fluffy downy ones, she would flee screaming from a room at the sight of one, now that was a tad irrational.
:cool:

Capt Claret
20th Mar 2005, 21:30
SLFguy

Is this lass at work married?

Said with tongue planted firmly in cheek, just to appease SLFguy!

pigboat
20th Mar 2005, 22:25
Tony, you sure you never tried to smother yer sis with a feather pillow when she was little? :E :D

gatfield
20th Mar 2005, 22:52
A friend of mine shared a house with a chick who was had a button phobia. Yeah I don't no either!

Every now and then they would have some fun and like deliberately put a buton in her drink or something. :eek:

SyllogismCheck
20th Mar 2005, 23:33
I like that one... I bet she couldn't get her clothes off quick enough!
If she could get 'em on in the first place! :E

Onan the Clumsy
21st Mar 2005, 00:10
I have an irrational fear of panties, so i f I ever see any lying around, I pick 'em up, take 'em home and hide 'em.

:hmm:

tony draper
21st Mar 2005, 00:17
Lying about on clothes lines Mr Onan?,we had a chap round here once like that, he had strange ways, now Strangeways has him.
Old jokes is the best.
:rolleyes:

MikeKnight
21st Mar 2005, 06:09
Sometimes, when I look straight down out the window of a plane, I feel a bit urgh, particularly over wooded or mountainous terrain but thats nothing compared to the fear of peas (yes, peas) mentioned in a recent phobia tv doco.

ps: don't ask me to stand near the edge of a cliff, not for love or money.

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Mar 2005, 06:19
Knew a girl who had a fear of snakes. Thought she couldn't be serious so on a camping trip tossed a dead spitting cobra in her tent while she was getting ready for a kip. She exited through the back wall, yodelling like a train and we only caught her about a kilometre farther on. She spent the rest of the trip in my camper van and I got a tent with a person shaped hole in the back wall:( .

Serves me right, I suppose, but at least I now know just how disturbing these things can be for people.

flowman
21st Mar 2005, 07:06
My wife has a fear of boats out of water! Sends her weak at the knees and runing for cover. Apparently she is not alone.
Saw a TV doc about phobias recently, the strangest one was a fear of baked beans! A fear of the results of consuming same I can understand....:uhoh:

Capt Claret
21st Mar 2005, 08:03
flowman

I commiserate with your wife. Though not considering myself to be phobic, just thinking about a boat out of water with all that gunge stuck to the hull sends grave- walked-over type shivers up & down my spine.

I wonder if I drowned in another life as my earliest memory is as about a 3 yr old, sitting on my dad's shoulders, and being taken to the wharf to look at the ships.

As we rounded a building and could see the ship I started to scream because I was scared that the ship would sail without untieing from the wharf and drag it, and us, into the middle of Port Philip Bay, where we'd drown. :sad:

gatfield
21st Mar 2005, 09:18
Mikeknight,

how could I forget - I have a pea phobia too!

Just of eating them of course.

Will pick peas out of anything.

If i was stuck somewhere and all there was to eat was peas - I'd become a breatharian.

tall and tasty
21st Mar 2005, 11:29
Best way to sort out any phobia is to confront it.

I have a lessening phobia of heights only cos my job I did for 8 years entailed having to go up and down high a/c steps. Any phobias about animals I may have held have been sorted out too. Try holding hairy spiders when you hate them the size of a rat and you will have no spider problems. Same goes with snakes etc.

TnT

flowman
21st Mar 2005, 11:31
You don't have a fear of large organs do you? :E

Pablo Martin
23rd Mar 2005, 09:59
Keraunothnetophobia

:8

Is an irrational and constant fear of being hit by falling man-made satellites.

That would really screw up your life!
Any1 here got it, or know of someone who has it? Surely you could have so much fun with a bit of string and a lump of tin foil :E

:}

18-Wheeler
23rd Mar 2005, 10:20
Got a fear of heights and spiders - nothing too odd there - but I've got another one that really freaks me out and I don't know of anyone else that has it.
Nail polish ... Ugh!

Makes my skin crawl and I want to just keep well clear of the stuff.

Pablo Martin
23rd Mar 2005, 12:10
Sorry to post again but just found this!

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

Its the fear of..... long words! HA!
You could have even more fun with that apart from the fact a sufferer wouldnt even be able to write down his/her's own condition!

:}

PM

Nani
23rd Mar 2005, 16:00
Nail polish ... Ugh!

Same here,long nails and nail polish. Don't know if it is a phobia but mine is considered as obsessive/compulsive disorder.
I could easily stop eating for days if my host/ess happens to display long nails or nail polish. :yuk:

Seeing loved ones,including my cats and dogs stuck with needles is enough for me to pass out,is that a phobia?