PDA

View Full Version : First GlobeSpan 737-800 pic

Selcalweb.co.uk
20th Mar 2005, 06:12
HERE (http://microvoltradio.com/images/boeing941mar19.jpg).

Credit Matt Cawby.

VIKING9
20th Mar 2005, 09:59
Just out of interest, why do most airlines have all over white and a coloured belly ? Why not reverse it. Take easyJet as an example. All over orange, with white lettering. Now that WOULD stand out :ok:

JB007
20th Mar 2005, 10:11
Exterior cleaning bills ???? White belly would get pretty grimey very quickly...

WHBM
20th Mar 2005, 10:45
I stand to be corrected by the real experts on here but I always understood that white tops give a significant reduction to the air-conditioning load by reflecting sunlight (which of course aircraft in the cruise see a lot of).

Long, long ago in the early 1950s, when most aircraft were unpainted for weight-saving reasons, BOAC had a problem with their Canadair Argonauts in the tropics of excessive on-board temperatures even though what air-con they had in those days was full on. It was particularly bad on the flight deck. They experimented with a white top to the flight deck, later extended to the whole fuselage, and noticed a significant difference. White tops then spread worldwide. Nowadays it just is reflected (pardon the pun) in reduced fuel costs as you don't need to bleed so much air for the AC.

Liveries such as BMI with dark-coloured tops are thus an indication of graphic designers who don't have an aviation background. Furthermore, in the AAIB report on the incident some years ago at Heathrow where a 747 came close to letting down on a BMI aircraft lined up on the runway the report actually commented on the BMI colour scheme making the aircraft less visible from the 747 flightdeck in the marginal conditions. I was always surprised BMI didn't change their livery after that.

GoEDI
20th Mar 2005, 13:35
Where are the winglets?:confused:

Premi@irGold
20th Mar 2005, 16:22
I think it looks excellent :ok:

Cheers, Ryan
Premi@irGold

phil_2405
20th Mar 2005, 18:07
I was expecting winglets as well :confused:

firstchoice7e7
20th Mar 2005, 18:22
Im confused, in the middle of the picture there appears to be a red/white winglet or poss another aircafts tail. Can anyone specify what it is?

GoEDI
20th Mar 2005, 19:12
I'm pretty sure that's another aircraft's tail.

Golf Charlie Charlie
20th Mar 2005, 19:55
No 'eye' windows either, for what it's worth.

Selcalweb.co.uk
26th Mar 2005, 15:06
Winglets to be fitted in the UK, probably Southend, before entering service.

Cheers.

GoEDI
26th Mar 2005, 16:27
Winglets to be fitted in the UK, probably Southend, before entering service.

It was actually in service yesterday and operated EDI-AGP and GLA-TFS but has since returned to Southend after that one days service to have winglets fitted. Should be back in Scotland mid-week apparently.

HZMIS
26th Mar 2005, 17:21
That has really annoyed me, as I saw it was with Globespan last week when it arrived at Southend and tommorow was hoping to go across and see it with its' new jolly pair of wing-tips, but if it's gone then I suppose i'll just have to look at Southend's thriving aircraft scrap pit. arrrhhh well, never mind all the best guys.
Have a happy easter.

P.S. does anyone know the dates of when the next 2 new 800s are coming.