PDA

View Full Version : TSA again - a bit confused

vdive
19th Mar 2005, 14:32
Greetings !

I have a quick question as i do not completely understand the fingerprinting process...

Last week the email arrived that myself has been given preliminary approval for training start, incl. Fingerprintig instructions. I have checked the website and have found that there are only two places in my area (Le Bourget and Dubai) where i can get printed - well, they aren't quite around the corner.

I am going for a new type but have been issued a company and airport ID, so the approval went quite fast. Is it recommended to fly to the states a few days before training start and get printed over there by a local law enforcement office listed or should i go to flight safety in bourget or CAE Dubai?

I am not sure on the delay between priting, recieving the prints (TSA) and the actual permission to train.

Any insights very appreciated!

Thanks, vdive

BigGrecian
19th Mar 2005, 14:35
You can have your fingerprints done at any law enforcement office in the US. You can start training once they have received them which is normally about 2 days.
They keep changing the rules at the moment and some schools will start you flying with an instructor with your preliminary approval.

vdive
19th Mar 2005, 14:46
Hmm, then i guess its best to arrange the trip in such a way that i can give my prints in the US and have a few days in between before training starts.

Ninety-Nines
19th Mar 2005, 15:42
V-dive

Don't worry about you arranging it as the schools will assist you with this.

As it stands, we here at NAC have a great local Homeland Security Dept and they come to the school and do the fingerprints in bulk during an evening whereby taking any pressure of you as a student to worry about this!

Talk to your school and they will help you with this.

Nikki

vdive
19th Mar 2005, 16:50
Thanks for the advice so far. My paperwork was processed quite rapidly so far - no complications yet.

Can somebody report from own experience how long it takes from printing to approval. I just dont want to be sitting around and waiting for ages spending money on hotels, etc. (as my finances are quite tight right now).

Piltdown Man
21st Mar 2005, 13:00
Why don't you go to a safer part of the World? And you should wonder why you are paying out money to people who don't give you proper advice. And "preliminary approval", hey you are paying and therefore should be calling the shots. Definite start date please!

Check 6
24th Mar 2005, 11:43
TSA SIMPLIFIES FINGERPRINTING PROCESS (http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/374-full.html#189412)

Kick the tires, light the fires, first off is lead, brief on guard.

Check 6

vdive
24th Mar 2005, 15:46
Well, some advantage already....but neither France, Canada, Saudi Arabia or Dubai fit into the wording "...your home country" :E . But anyway, cheaper off when doing a quick tour to Bourget for printig (beside another 100 bucks for this service).

vdive

cfimei
26th Mar 2005, 02:32
vdive - the fingerprinting stuff really isn't too complicated, as some have already said let the school deal with it and yes you can start training when TSA have received your fingerprints and emailed confirmation. Oh and this is one post that DOESN'T take the opportunity to plug it's commerical backer "we here at XXX"

Tinstaafl
26th Mar 2005, 15:53
Off topic I know, but I couldn't help but laugh when I read this thread's title.

The first thought I got after seeing the title was "Aren't they!" :p