PDA

View Full Version : Coolware prob????

tony draper
19th Mar 2005, 01:50
Been getting a lot of coolware registry entries, no matter how many times I run Adaware, very time I boot up they are there.
Downloaded coolware shredder and that does not touch em, finaly tracked it down to a file in C:WINDOWS TEMP,I think it is a dos file? the icon is a sheet with the top right hand corner folded over and what looks like two interlocked cog wheels inside, the extension is se.dll
I cannot delete this file se.dll, it keeps telling me access is denied
Is there anyway I can get shot of this buggah?adaware seems to unable to delete this, it just tells me to reboot and run adaware again.

Thanks in advance
:confused:

SoftTop
19th Mar 2005, 06:51
Try booting in Safe Mode. Then see if you can delete the file. You might also want to try running AdAware, Spybot, shredder etc. in Safe Mode.

If you run XP you should be able to enter the menu screen that gives you the option for safe mode by pressing F8 just after the initial BIOS screen has disappeared.

ST

Devlin Carnet
20th Mar 2005, 10:30
You could either boot from disk and delete it in Dos,
Or run hijack this and see if you can fix it from there.

Avtrician
20th Mar 2005, 11:59
TD,
Rename se.dll to something like Begone.spot, the next time you start up you will be able to delete it.

tony draper
21st Mar 2005, 16:30
Hmmm progress report, if yer ever get SE.DLL in your windows temp folder, yer knackered,cwshredder couldn't do owt with it nor could adaware, spybot, and another one one downloaded and tried, hijack this was powerless,as was trying devious tricks in dos such as trying to delete or editing and scrambling same, every time one booted the bugger was back stuffing ones registry with coolware.
Formated and did a clean instal,one knows when one is beat.
Insidently the edition of Cwshredder I downloaded could not find thirty odd coolware reg keys right in front of its nose.
The sneaky bugger will not allow itself to be renamed,deleted, or generaly buggad about with either in dos or windows, aviatrician,

feckin puters.
One is a convinced Firefox surfer now.
:(

Avtrician
22nd Mar 2005, 10:34
Tony,
go here (http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/395-p1.php) for more information, that should remove the bugger.

Firefox or Mozilla are the best way to go, I use Mozilla myself, no nasty surprises when you want to play.

tony draper
22nd Mar 2005, 13:15
Thanks peeps,one has bookmarked that page Aviatrician,thanks a lot.
Who is Malware anyway? they should be hunted down and hacked about with blunt macheties.
:rolleyes: