PDA

View Full Version : Graduate Engineer....where to go?

babyken
18th Mar 2005, 23:48
I graduated in 2003 with Aerospace Eng (I didnt do that well, only got a third class). I been looking for jobs and do not have any luck.

Anyone has any idea what is the best option for me?

I tried lots of different companies but no luck.

What do they look for apart from my degrees.

I do not have any relavant experience as I was helping my family out during uni.

Thanks

Ken

Genghis the Engineer
20th Mar 2005, 10:12
I think you've answered the question yourself to be honest.

An engineering employer is looking for a good degree grade (that used to be a 2:2 but nowadays with grade creep increasingly it means a 2:1, which is the "new 2:2), and good experience.

So, if you are lacking in both departments you need to try and achieve an improvement in both. You can't improve your original degree grade, but you might manage to get an MSc or Mphil, which should pretty much wipe that out.

As for experience, it's out there to be grabbed. If nobody will pay you for it, look at what you can do unpaid - help the local PFA stut members building aeroplanes and designing mods, go and try and help with a restoration project somewhere like Duxford or Old Warden, get involved in one of the hi-tec amateur groups like Aspirespace and get professional standard experience there.

But, lets be honest, with a 3rd and no experience, your chances of getting a job until you've improved on that are pretty slim.

G