PDA

View Full Version : Flight instructing jobs at big UK schools

Jay_solo
18th Mar 2005, 17:37
Hi,

Can anybody give me an idea as to the current and future job prospects and the average pay for Flight instructors in the UK? (UK only) I am particulary interested in what it is like to instruct for Oxford Aviation or Cabair. I see OAT have a sponsored instructor program for current FI's, (£25k a year) and I think Cabair had one (or still do). But what if you want a direct entry, what do they look for? And how often do these jobs crop up? I have read many threads (mostly moans) about flight instructing jobs. I know the pay sucks, you work like a dog, poor managers yada yada. But I gotta start somewhere in the short term. So anyone, especially current FI's please get in touch.

Thanks

nomercy
18th Mar 2005, 19:49
Instructors pay varies with location. you will probably earn more in the south. Most schools pay a retainer of £20-25 a day plus £10-15 per hour flown. That may increase with experience and additional qualifications. If you are very lucky some pay a salary which can be more secure(considering our weather). You may have to work at a small school first to gain experience

There is obviously no fixed rates for instructors and you have to try to negotiate the best deal.

With regard to the big schools i know someone with some experience who was offered 15k at oxford which was entry level. When you advance to multi and IR the money is much more respectable.

It is often very hard work and long hours and does not make a good long term career option. Bear in mind that GAPAN are proposing a downgrade in qualification for ppl instructors which could well signal the end of any hope of making a career from instructing ppl.

Nomercy

airpilot
19th Mar 2005, 12:14
Yeah I had a look at the oxford advert.Not impressed that a QFI that can teach night and IMC has to have an assessment in order to instruct with them, unless its a mere acceptance ride similar to cabair.

Not keen on the two year bit myself.I suppose you could leave sooner but you'll have to pay it back. If your in your 30's you won't want to wait that long.

Regis Potter
19th Mar 2005, 19:03
airpilot

What is the problem with an assessment ? This is standard procedure for Integrated FTO's & is a required part of the staff selection process described in the approval granted by the CAA.

Not all "QFI's" have the desired cockpit skills that professional training demands.

Good Luck !

airpilot
19th Mar 2005, 19:43
Regis potter

I don't see it as a problem, I think it was me just being an arse.

I do understand they just need to make sure that you can teach at this higher level. I still think the two year thing will put people off as the airline market is on the up now not in two years time.