PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Mail

SAMB0
18th Mar 2005, 17:00
Wondering what your opinions on this might be - I've just sent this esteemed organ an email, which of course won't sully its pages, and was interested to see if any others here shared my point of view..
Perhaps more of an editorial point, but why is it that in almost every edition of the Mail there are repeated references to WW2 and Hitler? I appreciate the Euro-sceptic stance of the newspaper, but surely it is time to get over this and could be better served by flogging something else to death? This country was not the only one to be affected by the war, yet I know of no other paper anywhere else that insists on visiting the theme so often.

If you can spare the time, perhaps you may want to compare column inches given by the Mail to Hitler with other newspapers?

Why can't we get over it?

tart1
18th Mar 2005, 17:28
I would be interested to see if you get a reply - I've tried e mailing them before and they have ignored me. :*

I have been a loyal DM reader for over 30 years but they do annoy me from time to time. Yesterday, I was fairly shocked and nauseated by the graphic description and photos of an execution in Iran, that I stumbled upon whilst eating breakfast. :yuk: They are always banging on about how they are a family newspaper and they are very careful what they print so they don't offend sensibilities, so that article seemed unnecessary and out of place.

I thought about mailing them but decided there was no point.

Onan the Clumsy
18th Mar 2005, 17:53
Maybe you should Mail them...

...on a Daily basis

:ugh:

Krystal n chips
18th Mar 2005, 17:53
Tart 1-----think you will find that said photo and text were also in the Grudian--or at least a version of events that took place. Being a dedicated Grudian reader, I am unlikely to even pick up a copy of the DM of course :mad: ---however, my deepest sympathy to you for doing so--and admitting as much in public :D :D Ever thought of becoming a convert ??:D

SAMB0
18th Mar 2005, 18:13
The problem with this paper is that it's reactionary. I understand that gypsies, asylum seekers and immigrants have a place in the current affairs agenda, but the hysterical way in which they are always carping on about it detracts from any validity their arguments may have.

"ONE IN TWO BABIES BORN TO IMMIGRANT MOTHER" was a recent pearl, it could have been newsworthy, yes, but the way in which it was presented made it implicit that honest John Bull was being outbred by the dusky masses. That is, if he had time to indulge in any such activity after having to fend off gypsies from his garden, protect himself from TB-riddled asylum seekers or find his children a school that still taught readin' 'n' writin'.

Gawd bless the Queen Mum!

Jerricho
18th Mar 2005, 18:19
SAMB0, can't see a problem with it at all mate.

Faulty Towers sketches aside (and even then IMHO that episode isn't the best), references like that or that all time disgraceful "One World Cup and Two World Wars" I heard being chanted at an England v Germany game are just downright pathetic and uncalled for.

SAMB0
18th Mar 2005, 18:31
Sure they are, but that's coming from football fans in a heated setting, it'd be asking a bit much to expect anything a bit more refined. To be honest, all that "free lions" and "bulldog spirit" makes me feel ill.

What gets me is precisely the same constant stream of jingoistic, ugly and hypocritical c rap from a supposedly respectable "family" newspaper, that in the same breath can condemn, say, sex advice in teenage magazines whilst using the flimsiest prextext to show a nice bit of skirt.

Page 9 today anyone?

Wedge
18th Mar 2005, 18:45
The problem with the Daily Mail is not that it's reactionary, SAMBO, the problem is that it's the voice of Satan and all its journalists have been sent by Lucifer to destroy the planet earth.

Jerricho
18th Mar 2005, 18:47
all its journalists have been sent by Lucifer to destroy the planet earth.

Yay!!

Journo hunting season again.

"Be wewy, wewy qwiet, I'm huntwing Jouwnos..........."

tart1
18th Mar 2005, 22:42
Samb0 - do you mean Kylie's corset or Nigella's fat story?? (Both on page 9)

I do understand why people hate the Mail and I admit I find it annoying when they get onto one of their little 'campaigns' about this and that. But I find that I still enjoy reading it. Have tried some of the others (Times, Telegraph, etc) but I still prefer the DM for a relaxed read with a good balance between news, intersting info and trivia.

NB - I am a girlie of relatively little education (I didn't go to uni) and I also enjoy a bit of frivolous trivia.

Sorry to all you professor types who only want to read serious stuff..................................what you doing on JetBlast then??!!!!

:=:= := :D :D

PS - I love the DM cryptic crossword but I also like the one in the Telegraph when I get the chance. :D

X-QUORK
19th Mar 2005, 07:23
The Daily Mail is just another "red-top" tabloid in disguise and is really no better than the Express, Daily Star or The Sun. In fact, you'd probably find better written and more informative articles in OK magazine. I'm often suprised at friends or even family members who read it, I'd imagined they were above that sort of crap.

heretic
19th Mar 2005, 08:41
Does anyone know who are the controlling owners of the Mail.

Rollingthunder
19th Mar 2005, 08:48
Sure,

Associated Newspapers Ltd

Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) is the management company for five major newspapers - Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday, Evening Standard, London Metro, Ireland on Sunday and the advertising publication Loot. Established in 1905, it is a subsidiary of the Daily Mail and General Trust plc (DMGT).

Associated Newspapers Limited is based in Kensington and also has responsibility for Harmsworth Quays, the London Docklands plant at which it produces all London, the South of England and South Wales editions of the Titles.

Chairman: The Viscount Rothermere
Editor-in-Chief: Paul Dacre
Managing Director: Kevin Beatty

Northcliffe House,
2 Derry Street,
Kensington,
London, W8 5TT

Tel: 020 7938 6000