View Full Version : London heliroutes - VFR / SVFR..?

DBChopper
18th Mar 2005, 16:44
This question arises out of a discussion I had this afternoon prior to taking the R22 for a play in the nice weather. It happened to the guy flying prior to me on a jaunt up H4 from the Isle of Dogs to Vauxhall and back. Arguably, it could be posted on the ATC forum, but I know some of you nice Thames Radar guys pop in here, so here goes...

Prior to entering City's zone (class D) he made the usual position report and request for Special VFR. Having squawked the assigned code, he was cleared to enter, and read back, "cleared to enter the City Zone, Special VFR (etc.)" The reply was, "negative, you are cleared VFR ." He confirmed this and carried on with his flight.

His question to me was, how can he be cleared into the zone VFR as opposed to SVFR, and in any case what would the difference be? He is aware of the visibility limitations of the clearance, and the vis was fine today. In addition, he had already phoned Thames prior to departure to let them know his intentions. All I was able to do was scratch my head - we went through Pooley's to double check and are none the wiser.

Over to you guys and gals - can you be cleared VFR as opposed to SVFR in these circumstances, and if so what would the difference be?

Thanks in anticipation...

DBChopper
:ok:

headsethair
18th Mar 2005, 17:36
DB: Special VFR only applies in Class A airspace - in other classes it would apply in IMC or night.

See: http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=64&pagetype=90&pageid=2151

Here's the relevant bit. Great day wasn't it ?
6.3 Special VFR Flight
6.3.1 A Special VFR flight is a flight made in a Control Zone under circumstances which would normally require
the flight to be made under the Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) but is made under special conditions and with the
permission of ATC instead of under the full IFR.
6.3.2 The circumstances referred to in paragraph 6.3.1 are:
(i) At any time in a Class A Control Zone;
(ii) in IMC or at night in any other Control Zone.
6.3.3 The following conditions are applicable to all Special VFR flights:
(i) The pilot must obtain an ATC clearance and comply with ATC instructions;
(ii) the pilot must at all times remain clear of cloud and in sight of the surface;
(iii) the pilot must at all times remain in flight conditions which enable him to determine his flight path
and keep clear of obstacles;

DBChopper
18th Mar 2005, 18:00
Headsethair,

Thanks for that - just had a good old read. Looking back, the times I have received a SVFR clearance must have related to the Class A bit, further along H4 past Battersea and into Heathrow's zone. Just goes to show it's worth actually thinking about the clearance rather than just repeating it ;)

And yes, it was a great day - seemed like the ideal excuse to go and play over the marshy bits of North Kent - no householders to annoy and loads of blue sky :ok:

Cheers,

DBChopper
:cool: