PDA

View Full Version : Guernsey Airlines

caa19
18th Mar 2005, 16:28
Just wondering if anyone knew what happened to Guernsey Airlines, given that I was still at primary school when they ceased to exisit!

What I have dug up so far is below, just wanted the 'why' type quesitons filling in. Got a feeling it was States owned, or am I just making that up?

Name Guernsey Airlines
IATA HW / GE
ICAO GER
Country United Kingdom (feel free to argue that point)
Dates 1977-1989
Purchased 1983 by BAF
1987 by Aurigny
1989 by Airlines of Europe

In trim
21st Mar 2005, 15:23
1989 by Airlines of Europe.....

.....merged into the commuter division of Air Europe (Air Europe Express) which operated the same aircraft type of Shorts 360's (and 330's). Air Europe Express itself was a result of Air Europe having earlier purchased Connectair, which operated LGW-ANR/RTM/DUS.

Effectively "Guernsey Airlines" ceased to exist at that point. It was fully merged into Air Europe Express (albeit with some crew and aircraft continuing to be GCI-based), until the demise of Air Europe.

Some of the GCI-based crew ended up working for Jersey European out of GCI when they picked up the GCI-LGW route. Euroworld (later CityFlyer Express) was also formed following the demise of AE and also picked up some of the old aircraft and operated the LGW-GCI route in competition with JY, albeit they were wholly LGW-based so there was no direct Guernsey link there, other than the ongoing maintenance relationship with Anglo-Normandy, and close working/handling relationship with Aurigny.

Guernsey Airlines....Rest In Peace!