PDA

View Full Version : Requirement to fly an Ovstacle Deeparture Procedure

LOKE
18th Mar 2005, 07:56
This question refers to US rules - I'm not sure what JAROPS calls these things.

If there is an ODP - obstacle departure procedure - at a field and your clearance does not specify a SID, or there is not SID, are you required to fly the ODP?

Can't find a specific reg that covers it and of course I'll be looking a long time if there isn't one.

Thanks for any information that you can provide,

LOKE

mutt
18th Mar 2005, 10:37
LOKE,

This falls into that murky zone of the FAR's. We develop Engine Failure Procedures to enhance takeoff weights regardless of the SID's. For obvious reasons if the engine fails at V1, the aircraft must follow the OEI procedure to ensure obstacle clearance. However, if the engine doesnt fail, there isnt a requirement to follow that procedure, nor is there a requirement to assess the ALL engine flight path!

Mutt.

LOKE
18th Mar 2005, 16:45
I was just asking relative to a normal takeoff - no engine failure. So realistically there is no obstacle clearance issue. Just wondering about whether you are somehow required - to follow the ODP if you've been assigned nothing else in the clearance.

Actually I shoouldn't say there is no obstacle clearance issue - I suppose that you could find something to run into.

LOKE

hawk37
18th Mar 2005, 17:38
Loke, the popular answer is no, you don't have to follow the ODP. However, I'm not sure how how the FAR quote below, which also applies to Class C and B airspace, supports that. Clearly, an ODP is established by the FAA. Anyone?

91.129 Operations in Class D airspace

(g) Departures. No person may operate an aircraft departing from an airport except in compliance with the following:

(1) Each pilot must comply with any departure procedures established for that airport by the FAA.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=c9219d73c9b4a641b7b2400a271e142c&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.3.10&idno=14#14:2.0.1.3.10.2.4.15

Hawk

downwind
20th Mar 2005, 00:50
LOKE,

My opinion is if you have got: A) NO SID from ATC or the Airport you operate out of has no specific SID, and say it is night and the weather isn't the prettiest in my opinion it would be prudent to fly your companys engine out escape route or the normal engine escape route for example this airport in Australia has no SID or STARS but the airline requires off Rwy 18 that the crews use the ALL ENGINES OPERATING procedures to depart the strip. It is like the saying if you have a GPS/GPWS and switch it off in the flightdeck, you are not using your resources at 100%

AIRPORT: MAROOCHYDORE
RUNWAY: 18
ENGINE FAILURE AT OR AFTER V1
1. Standard procedures following engine failure at or after V1.
2. Track 184°M.
3. At 2 DME turn LEFT track 090°M.
4. Acceleration altitude 800 ft QNH.
5. VMC Visual circuit and landing.
....IMC Continue climb and proceeds for an instrument approach.
...OR
...Continue climb in an appropriate holding pattern to lowest safe altitude for departure track.
ALL ENGINES OPERATING
1. After leaving 500 ft QNH proceed to intercept departure track.