PDA

View Full Version : Despatchers.

retard-retard
17th Mar 2005, 22:07
How in all that is holy can one become a despatcher?

What are the salaries like?

Mark.

Craggenmore
17th Mar 2005, 23:19
If you want EGLL then apply to.....

1. Globeground/ServisAir
2. Aviance
3. AFSL
4. American Airlines
5. Air Canada
6. Alitalia
7. BA Ground Ops

Craggs

timeless
18th Mar 2005, 00:04
I am trying to find out who operates out of Birmingham and the East Midlands.
Do you know of anyone who is hiring at the moment?

retard-retard
18th Mar 2005, 00:39
Wish I knew too?

But I would really like to know what the educational requirements are and what the paymwnts are?

R-R

retro cowboy
18th Mar 2005, 08:55
I spoke to the Aviance guy at the end of last summer (they run b'ham), said he's happy to take pilots on. The money is awful, £6 per hour, but hey you're making contacts I suppose.

I also spoke to the coventry independent outfit, whose name eludes me at this time but they were very helpful and pay around £14k for a supervisor... I think.

Hope this helps

Wee Weasley Welshman
18th Mar 2005, 09:25
You won't do it for the money or the glamour but compared to other work at this pay level its an excellent way to acquire airline pilot useful experience. Put a year in of being the best despatcher in the world and you never know who might offer to assist your application to the right person.

Good luck

Say again s l o w l y
18th Mar 2005, 09:27
Coventry Airport Handling is who you are talking about.

zeedee
18th Mar 2005, 10:39
hi,
I am also trying to land a job as a dispatcher. found out that some operators want you to have a city and guilds certificate of flight dispatch which costs approx 1000 gbp:{ . a fatpl should actually be enough though......

flyingdog
18th Mar 2005, 12:27
guys, despatcher is a good job ... you'll learn and you will meet people who could help you to get a pilot job in the future ... I recommend you try a despatcher job with an airline instead of a handling company ... pick up an airline you'd like to fly with and see what kind of ground position they might offer ... then work and sometimes remember them you'got a pilot license ... it worked for me :ok:

FougaMagister
18th Mar 2005, 16:01
I would concur what WWW posted; that's exactly why I'm doing it! (And everybody in the office knows it, too - including the boss). Two of my mates recently got jobs for Flybe in short succession after having dispatched their Dash 8s and BAe 146s for a couple of years, so there is hope! The same carrot keeps me going on these terrible wages - but it's also a good job altogether if you can handle the stress.

Cheers :cool:

P.S.: try to post that question on the Flight Ops and Dispatch forum, you'll get more answers.

boeingbus2002
18th Mar 2005, 21:42
If near to EGLL, GlobeGround recently advertised in Skyport for Dispatchers.

Several pilots working there, and simple tests to check for numeracy. Do a search in the Dispatchers forum for more info.
Pay is about £17k during probabtion.

Captain101
20th Mar 2005, 12:08
I'm currently a dispatcher for Servisair at CWL.

At CWL dispatchers are almost all promoted from suitably qualified check-in agents who show apptitude. I don't know weather this is the case for other Servisair stations.
As an ATPL student I was promoted to dispatch in my first week.

The job doesn't pay very well - around £6/hr on a 30hr/wk contract. But the contacts you will make and career advice you will recieve will be a huge advantage in finding that first airline job. I have had interviews as a result of contacts I have made and CV's I have distributed to passing pilots.

The job is great fun and you will more than likley enjoy every minute and gain some valuble ops experience at the same time.

It will also give you a pretty good idea of what the industry is really like. It has certainly turned my ambitions away from the airlines and towards biz jets!

Get in quick, jobs for the summer season are going fast, I think Servisair EMA are still recruiting at the moment.
The new Doncaster (Robin Hood) International Airport in a new Servisair station and is recruiting alot of staff. PM me if you are interested in Doncaster & I'll give you some contact info.

Good luck

Sven
21st Mar 2005, 10:42
(Advertised at the end of last week - http://fish4.co.uk/jobs/search/view_details.jsp?advertID=23625377&hitType=VIEWFISHME)

"One of the leading aviation services companies in the world."

Come and join in our success at Birmingham Airport.

AIRCRAFT DISPATCHERS
Full time

For flight documentation and ground co-ordination.
Applicants should be over 18 and able to work a flexible shift pattern covering a 24 hour operation. Company uniform, full training and car parking is provided. You must have your own transport and hold a full valid driving licence, a five year checkable work history, and provide a valid criminal records check.

To apply, please call between 10am-4pm, Monday to Friday on 0121 767 7760 - Ramp Service Operators or 0121 767 7767 - Passenger Services Agents & Aircraft Dispatchers.

We are an equal opportunities employer.
www.servisair.com

flaps to 60
24th Mar 2005, 16:45
RR

A good despatcher is worth their weight in gold platinum and every precious metal going.

Some of the despatchers that i have come across are so bad that if you called them stupid then stupid people would feel insulted.

Be the best that you can, always try to think 10 minutes ahead of the crew and bring solutions to problems. Always have a CV handy and never be rude to any of the crew.

I know this works because it happened to a despatcher that i know and he got theRHS.

Good luck in your endeavours.