PDA

View Full Version : LA rental

thejakes
17th Mar 2005, 17:13
Anyone had experience with renting from Universal Air Academy? They're cheaper than Air Desert Pacific who also constrain you to the 3 states of California, Nevada and Arizona. I'm looking to build 50 hours on one trip and am looking for cheap options, but obviously don't want extremely poor aircraft!

Any other suggestions?

Seaweed Knees
17th Mar 2005, 17:59
If you're looking for cheap aircraft, I'm assuming youre thinking about the 152s at universal.
Although i've never flown them, I have seen them and they look to be in good condition.
Their seneca is in far better condition than any at ADP.

ADP will allow you to go outside the Ca/Az/Nv zone if you ask. They just dont want people doing it without their knowledge.

If you are planning to do long distance cross countries, you will be subject to higher expenses though.
Schools offering wet aircraft hire will usually only reimburse you up to a certain ammount if you refuel away from the home field. This means that you'll be subject to an additional $0.25 - $1.00 per gallon. Trust me when I say that it adds up fast.

Something that in my opinion will be more constructive than long c-x flights anyway, is trying to land at as many airfields in one day as possible. The LA basin has some great airfields aswell as complex airspace. You can even land at LAX.

38 is my record, something to aim for if you feel inclined.

VisaGeeza
17th Mar 2005, 18:18
If you are thinking of renting a 152 for hour building in LA, I would advise against. There are lots of interesting places around LA but quite simply a 152 isn't up to it I would suggest 160 horses is the absolute minimum and would still suggest that you went the bit extra for a 180hp steed. a 152 is a great Florida trainer but it just doesn't have the power for high altitudes such as those on the mountains and plains of LA.

thejakes
18th Mar 2005, 15:38
Thanks for your suggestions, I'm actually wanting to rent a Warrior (so 160hp should be ok?) and Universal give a good rate, I was just wondering how the difference in price compared to ADP was correlated with any worrying difference in condition!

Thanks.

VisaGeeza
18th Mar 2005, 17:40
So there is a difference in rate, have you checked;
a) that there is no fuel surcharge
b) no insurance surcharge
c) any other "extras"
d) Universal is not a "dry" rate
e) if you are taking the aircraft away, what is the rate of fuel reimbursement (no, you don't get reimbursed for fuel at the price you paid for it!)

How you are getting there? ADP (used to) pick you up at LAX and take you to the hotel and have a bus for transporting customers from airport to sleeping accoms.

A Warrior is somewhat underpowered, ADP use mostly Archers, bit more power at 180hp and a better climb rate.

I shouldn't worry too much about the condition difference between the aircraft, ADP's aircraft are all about as tatty as they come anyway. ADP and Universal are both subject to the same airworthyness inspections and maintenance and both aircraft will be in flying condition:ooh:

Genghis the Engineer
18th Mar 2005, 18:03
I rented a C152 in LA for a flying holiday in 2003, and went to many of the interesting local places - solo it coped fine, since I wasn't in a hurry. If I was in a friend, I'd certainly look for something a bit meatier.

But, the local rental outfits do seem to have a bit of a "tattiest aeroplane competition" going, and finding your way out of the LA basic VFR is a challenge sometimes - if I did this again, I'd get a train out to somewhere like Palm Springs and try and rent from there - the aircraft I saw seemed much better, and you are starting in the "350 flyable days" desert environment.

Which of course doesn't mean that other people haven't had better experiences than me - that's purely my opinion.

G

Malc
21st Mar 2005, 18:42
Try Keith at California Flight Center in Long Beach - www.californiaflightcenter.com

Good aircraft, well maintained, at good prices. I used some of his planes last year, and was very satisfied.

Just another student
21st Mar 2005, 22:48
I arrived back from LA at the end of last month.I spent 4 weeks out there and had a great time. The weather was shocking though and I managed less then half of my planned hours.

I flew with ADP and found them to be extremely helpful.The planes are tatty, but are safe which is the most important thing.Things do go wrong sometimes but as pilots we should expect that :p

180hp is a MUST! If you were to choose ADP, ask for N2925Q or 4LJ. They are both Archer 2's, but are the best they have. The weather is a very strange and frustrating thing there. Getting out of the basin is the major issue. Palm Springs would be a good option as the deserts are normally clear. The Mountains there are amazing however those winds can be leathal and will catch you out if you're not careful.

If you need any more info just pm me.

Cheers

JAS

thejakes
22nd Mar 2005, 01:57
Thanks for all your suggestions, i've taken them all into account and might go with the 180hp for a 50 hour trip - its more expensive but will probably be worth it.

And i'd like to look into rental at Palm Springs, does anyone have any suggestions for good (and cheap) rental places there?

Thanks.