PDA

View Full Version : Speedbird Fares

Pope Mobile
17th Mar 2005, 16:11
This may be the wrong forum, but any advice appreciated!
I am trying to get back to Blighty 22-25 March and have gone through my airline's pass bureau to apply for a Speedbird fare. IAW BA policy, I called them 2 weeks before my planned travel dates, to be told that no seats were available on the 25th. I am rather inflexible on dates, although could accept the 26th.

Anyway, the call centre told me to try closer to the date as BA release more Speedbird fares nearer the actual date of flight.
I managed to be offered 22nd and 24th two days ago, and again advised to wait for the 25th. Now they are telling me that even though there are retail seats available, Speedbird fares are not. I could buy the tickets (2) for $4000+, but they won't give me the Speedbird fares.

Does anyone know if BA does indeed release more seats to Speedbird fare paying passengers, or is that a myth. Thanks for any comments.

Seat1APlease
17th Mar 2005, 16:24
I don't know about Speedbird fares but quite often its possible to find tickets cheaper than staff travel fares using discount agents/ low cost airlines etc.

At the moment you can get a firm flight to most of Europe cheaper than a standby staff ticket.

You might well get some information on cheaper deals but a few clues might help, such as is the 4000 dollars US, Australian, New Zealand etc etc and where are you starting from?

Pope Mobile
17th Mar 2005, 21:24
US dollars. Trying to go from the east coast. I have searched and searched for cheap fares, but of course, it is Easter, and all the airlines are doing their utmost to get more for their seats.

Seat1APlease
17th Mar 2005, 22:21
in that case www.travelocity.co.uk shows fares from £224pounds which is about 400US$ dollars return on American Airlines from Boston to London as follows<<

Total price for this trip: £224.20

1 Review the flight details

Fri 25-Mar-05

Boston (BOS)
Depart 09:00
Terminal B to London (LHR)
Arrive 20:20
Terminal 3 3267 mile(s)
(5258 km)
Duration: 6hr 20min

Flight: 156

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Economy/Coach Class, Breakfast, Boeing 777

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total distance: 3267 mile(s) (5258 km)
Total duration: 6hr 20min

Fri 1-Apr-05

London (LHR)
Depart 18:05
Terminal 3 to Boston (BOS)
Arrive 19:15
Terminal E 3267 mile(s)
(5258 km)
Duration: 7hr 10min

Flight: 155

give them a try.

Pope Mobile
18th Mar 2005, 01:08
Thanks seat1aplease,
actually need to go on 22nd and come back to usa on 25th. BA still have a 777 with empty seats on my travel days, but won't give them up to speedbird passes. I really appreciate your effort.
I assume that they prefer part empty aircraft to full. Could never understand that logic.