PDA

View Full Version : Who likes Bidets?

tart1
17th Mar 2005, 10:04
In a recent study of modern French housebuilding by sociologist Guillaume Emer, fewer than 10% of the 3000 homes examined actually contained a bidet.

The bidet was of course a French invention so why are they giving it up? Apparently, bidets are very popular in many other countries - 90% of homes in Argentina have one for instance.

The author of the article I read reckons that bidets do the job more efficiently than showers or baths - what do you think, is this true? I've never used one. :D

Carry0nLuggage
17th Mar 2005, 10:09
I've never found an easier way to wash my foot than in a bidet.

17th Mar 2005, 10:19
They're fantastic if you're going out for the day, and you want to make sure that your dog has plenty of drinking water.

lasernigel
17th Mar 2005, 10:25
reckons that bidets do the job more efficiently than showers

Bit dependant on where you stick the shower head.(Obviously if it's detachable that is!)Pretty hard to get yer nether regions 6ft in the air normally.

After seeing Place in the Sun and I want that House.Suprised to see how many French properties don't even have a bathroom.One actually had a toilet shared between 2 houses!
:yuk:

Le Pen
17th Mar 2005, 10:26
Me Me Me ME!!! :p

I'm a Brit living in France.

Our house hasnt got one. So, when I re-do the bathroom its top of the list to buy.

Best invention ever!

Love

LP

c-bert
17th Mar 2005, 10:31
One thing has always bothered me about Bidets. Does one have a dedicated flannel for ones nether regions or do you just manage with ones hands? Either way I don't much fancy the task.....

Lon More
17th Mar 2005, 10:47
American tourist in France, seeing a bidet for the first time, "Is that to wash the baby in?"
"No madame, that's to wash the baby out "

PilotsPal
17th Mar 2005, 11:00
I had a bidet in each of my last two houses and I do miss not having one in the present house (bathroom simply couldn't accommodate oversized bath, separate high-power shower and a bidet).

Once you've had one and got used to it, you do miss being without.

LordGrumpy
17th Mar 2005, 11:06
Bidet.
Absolutely essential aid to hygene. Some may not like using them, but without getting unreadable, one is a good deal cleaner after soap sloosh and towel.
Forward for one ladies and back for the other!

Rushton
17th Mar 2005, 13:13
I think they are great - means there is an extra toilet if one is desperate:D

Windy Militant
17th Mar 2005, 13:18
I've always been a bit wary about bidets, goes back to when I was betwen jobs and doing a bit of labouring for my brother who's a builder.

The job we were on was a referb and extension for a friend who was at school with the bruv. This guy was a building inspector so he'd pulled in some favours and had sourced the kitchen and bathroom suite himself. The Bruv had done the installation of the bathroom suite bar the pipework which the plumber duly arrived to do.

Anyhoo me and the bruv were in the kitchen fitting the units whilst the plumber was installing the bathroom.

Suddenly much swearing and cursing from the bathroom.
As we came into the bathroom there stood the more than slightly damp plumber turning the air navy blue and purple.

He pointed at the bidet and exclaimed " I told the daft [email protected] to get the bl**dy pressure reducer tap block, watch this" he cracked the tap and something resembling old faithful erupted out of the bidet and slammed into the ceiling. As we stood there watching the water dripping gently off the ceiling the plumber blurted out " Serves him right I hope it blows his bl**dy eyeballs out" He then threw his tools into his van and left. ;)

Onan the Clumsy
17th Mar 2005, 13:29
I think they're a fabulous invention and want one in my house when I remodel the bathroom.

ORAC
17th Mar 2005, 13:36
I think his Carmen is wonderful....

con-pilot
17th Mar 2005, 13:48
Excuse me, are we talking about people that do not understand showers and ice.

I have stayed in too many hotels in France that do not have a shower curtain. I am talking about 4 to 5 star hotels. Well thatís what they claimed!

I would much prefer people that would take a shower every day, possibly twice a day; compaired to people that would use a bidet every time they voided their bodily functions and not take a shower or bath.

I donít really care how oneís bottom smells as to how their body smells.

But Ruston is correct; it does come into use in an emergency!

Embarrassed Mrs. C-P was. But ya got to do what you got to do!

The Real Slim Shady
17th Mar 2005, 14:51
Great devices !!

Fill with tinnies / bottles of beer, then nip down corridor to ice machine and bring back copious amounts of ice to chill your supplies.

cyclicmicky
17th Mar 2005, 14:51
An acquaintance of mine who shall remain nameless in case he is looking in, thinks that they are for washing stubborn sand off ones feet when returning from the beach!!!
-- I kid you not!!
:yuk:

SmilingKnifed
17th Mar 2005, 15:50
Surely the future has to be one one of those nifty japanese loos with the directed jets?:ok:

Jerricho
17th Mar 2005, 15:52
Fill with tinnies / bottles of beer, then nip down corridor to ice machine and bring back copious amounts of ice to chill your supplies.

Slim, I hate to point this out, but don't you think putting your coldies in the damn thing somebody else has probably washed their arse in is just a little on the gross side? Do you use the dunny if there's no bidet?

Burnt Fishtrousers
17th Mar 2005, 15:54
If you come from a country where you dont eat with a knife and fork, likely as not you will have a bidet:E

Gouabafla
17th Mar 2005, 16:39
I think bidets are a fine invention but they are in addition to a shower, not a replacement. Just cause you like to keep your bum clean, doesn't mean that you don't want to shower and clean the rest of you as well. I guess that if I could time my daily dump to just before I had a shower, I wouldn't see the need for a bidet, but I've never been that clever.

Nigel Barley the Anthropologist tells a great story in one of his books. After months living in the bush in Cameroon he finally got a really bad dose of D & V one his way home in a hotel in Italy and discovered a novel use for the bidet. By sitting on the bog and throwing up in the bidet he managed to cope with his intestinal problems without having to wash the floor.

airship
17th Mar 2005, 17:26
In today's enlightened times when a lack of educashun is no barrier to having loadsamoney, I thought it might be useful to point out that bidet is pronounced b-day...just in case anyone felt they should rush out and get one too. ;)

Main_Tenant
17th Mar 2005, 17:40
I'm thinking, as I always have, that if we ladies wish to have certain services from our man we need to make sure of certain cleansliness do we not?

Nereus
17th Mar 2005, 18:16
Happy bidet to you,
happy bidet to you,
happy bidet dear airship,
happy bidet to you
:} :} :}

Cameronian
17th Mar 2005, 18:32
I can claim no actual direct knowledge of the facts but I did see a survey which was published by one of the international manufacturers of soap, shampoo etc. It claimed that the famous assertion by the French that the British had dirty bots for the want of a bidet was a myth. The consumption of soap per household in France was always much lower than in the UK. The proportion of homes with a bidet has fallen dramatically over the last couple of decades and it was suggested that it may be inversely linked to the rise in the use of contraception. So perhaps Lon More is right........
I think PPruNers have come up with lots of perfect alternative uses for them nowadays!

airship
17th Mar 2005, 18:54
Thanks very much Nereus, but I'm a Sagittarius... ;)

Mac the Knife
17th Mar 2005, 18:55
Clean people wash their perineum.

Dirty people smear it around and put on deodorant.

Vive le bidet!

(Also useful, as observed by others, as dog bowls, foot washers, tinny coolers and much more)

HI O WISE PRINCE. WHT TOOK U SO DAM LONG?

airship
17th Mar 2005, 19:23
If I ever have kittens, I'll teach them to go in the bidet... :8

Foodbomber
17th Mar 2005, 22:42
Bidet in hotel in Argentina was an absolute Godsend.
Ate somehting that caused serious ringburn and 3b hopping (bed,bog, bidet).
Cooled things down a treat!
Good for washing feet after tramping round Buenos Aires as well.

Omark44
17th Mar 2005, 22:47
Yes Main_Tenant, you are so right. Stay there all day if the conditions are right!;)

k-lo
18th Mar 2005, 00:02
Conversely, Main_Tenant, if men wish to have certain services from their ladies...

:ooh:

tart1
18th Mar 2005, 00:08
I think it's safe to agree that the cleanliness requirement applies rigorously to both sexes in this particular department! :E

airship
18th Mar 2005, 00:13
I think you can smoke Indian ones. If I remember, they came in packs of 50 and were incredibly cheap too.

OllyBeak
18th Mar 2005, 01:39
Embarrassing office conversation a while ago:

Beak: "Getting a new bathroom put in. Do you reckon I should have a bidet?"

General approval for scheme.

Wag: "I thunk bidets was for washing yer hair".

Beak: "Well, they are for washing hairy things".

Secretary: "Oh, Beak, please!"

Beak: "All except for Jane, who shaves".

Secretary: "How did you know? OhÖ er... "

Much red-faced-ness and clearing of throats. Then sniggers.

RiskyRossco
18th Mar 2005, 02:31
Suilly sausage, moi, thinking this was about the famous Bond girl "Bridget Bidet".
:} :} :}

Tolsti
18th Mar 2005, 02:34
Over here every toilet has a separate jet wash like a small shower head on a short hose attached to the cold water supply to the cistern. Very handy except the pressure tends to be rather high so water tends to go "in" as well as washing the target area.

If you are not careful you end up washing the ceiling so a good aim is necessary!