PDA

View Full Version : Sick Londoners

BOFH
16th Mar 2005, 23:16
I moved to London a few months ago.

What has struck me has been the coughing, sneezing people on the Tube and at work. What is going on here?

I saw just last week some frightfully ill chap sneezing non-stop, using his right hand as a windbreak, then warmly shaking someone's hand immediately afterwards.

The commotion on the Tube disturbs the cogitation needed for Su Doku, with, it would appear, everyone horribly afflicted with some sort of respiratory disease.

Was it ever thus? I was brought up (in Sydney) believing that sneezing and coughing in public were dirty.

BOFH

Pablo Martin
16th Mar 2005, 23:24
Sorry to not answer directly.

Su doku is great, glad there is another fan on here!
Your right though requires deep concentration!

:8

PM

Onan the Clumsy
16th Mar 2005, 23:49
Well it's because they're all a bunch of lilly livered, soft skinned nancy boys in the South.

You wouldn't get coughing like that oop North where the tough folk live.

cosworth211
16th Mar 2005, 23:49
Have you considered that the tube is a breeding place for germs and the accused cant help it? Might be less crowded if a bunch of tourists didnt use the service ;)

Tough up North? Biggest bunch of whinging pansies Ive ever met ;)

Jerricho
16th Mar 2005, 23:58
BOFH, unfortunately that was one of the main reasons I left London.

The crud that gets into your eyes and nose is unbelievable.

Onan the Clumsy
17th Mar 2005, 00:09
Tough up North? Biggest bunch of whinging pansies Ive ever met That's because you probably met transplanted Southeners, or offcomers come up to see how proper fish and chips are made.

All the real Northern folk were probably down the pit or trudging through deep snow drifts or locked up in t' mill.

tart1
17th Mar 2005, 00:14
Try spending the day in Central London and then blow your nose and have a look :yuk: sorry but you can see the dirt you've breathed in during the day!!

Jerricho
17th Mar 2005, 01:14
Onan, did you get much snow in Blackpool?

Not like you to pull the northerner card

Onan the Clumsy
17th Mar 2005, 01:33
I don't know, I was always down t' pit - apart from Sunday morning when I put us best shirt on and went to chappel.

Standard Noise
17th Mar 2005, 02:24
Tis infinitely more preferable to live out in the country. Fresh air, scrumpy, cows mooing, farmers shouting "get orf moi bluddy land townie!" as you walk the dog wherever takes your fancy.
Oh, and not a cockerney in sight. Bliss.:)

BOFH
17th Mar 2005, 07:30
Thank you for the replies - I was never really sure whether it was foul air or infectious diseases - or both.

Despite (or thanks to) decades of abuse my respiratory and immune systems are in pretty good shape. However, I don't set out without at least three of those wee packs of Kleenex - not for sneezing or coughing, but for the inevitable sniffles which ensue during the day.

Other side effects include itchiness of the face and inside the nose. I shower twice daily, always have done, so why does my ruggedly-handsome :yuk: visage feel like the bottom of a parrot cage?

tart1 urgh - I was warned about that! But I do perform the collar test, and London rates better than Sydney. My home was almost at sea level, and I worked in Margaret St - lots of nice, 1983 vintage Mercedes buses thundering around.

Jerricho I considered relocating to Canada, but my grillfiend said it was for old people;)

BOFH

Pablo, I think we are the only Su Doku freaks here.

IFTB
17th Mar 2005, 07:49
BOFH,
then warmly shaking someone's hand
Nah, never! Sure you're in London?

phnuff
17th Mar 2005, 09:29
All the real Northern folk were probably down the pit or trudging through deep snow drifts or locked up in t' mill

Not these days Onan, Thatch sorted the mills and the mines out. Now they're locked up in call centres

tony draper
17th Mar 2005, 09:44
They shudda took the hint in 1666, and scrapped the whole feckin place.
:rolleyes:

eal401
17th Mar 2005, 10:17
Thatch sorted the mills and the mines out. Now they're locked up in call centres
Nah, you're thinking of India. But parts of Preston could be considere....<PC censored> ;)

phnuff
17th Mar 2005, 12:28
But parts of Preston could be considere....<

Is this a new game in which we have to finish the sentence??

My go . . . .

"Considered as a nuclear test site ?"

BOFH
17th Mar 2005, 12:50
ITYM 'post-nuclear'. :ok:

Jerricho
17th Mar 2005, 15:39
but my grillfiend said

Does she get out of the kitchen much?