PDA

View Full Version : Skywards - useless when it comes to redemption of mileage

Alpha Leader
16th Mar 2005, 20:57
Just wondering if anyone else has ended up with the same impression as I have: it's very, very difficult to use your miles for anything meaningful.

About a month ago, I asked for a redemption booking to Australia. Outward flight (around 20th March) OK, but no return flight available until 21st April (!!!).

The other day, I tried to obtain an upgrade from Y class to J class when checking in at Dhaka airport. Impossible, I was told, unless done at their city office in advance (at least six hours needed to verify balance and to deduct mileage......and this in the age of the internet).

Globaliser
17th Mar 2005, 06:39
'Twas ever thus. All FF schemes are now much like this, really. I've largely given up on redeeming points for anything. The benefits of higher tier status are the only thing that FF schemes are really worthwhile for on a daily basis. Redemption tickets are good as once-in-a-while, planned-well-in-advance trips. (Advance being 6+ months, not a few weeks.)

malanda
17th Mar 2005, 16:41
Not my experience. It must vary from programme to programme. I have a lot of success finding late availability when spending BD and LH miles. (LH even give a discount for late bookers)

PAXboy
17th Mar 2005, 17:59
Yes, I got a good deal on LH in December. They even offered Two for One so I only had to use half the miles and this was at peak time.

VS do need a little forward planning but have done cabin upgrades and round trip bookings fine. That said, I only use miles for holidays, so it is easier to book ahead.

Final 3 Greens
18th Mar 2005, 18:21
Perhaps I'm lucky, but I am going on a self funded training course in Atlanta in May.

Used 50K Skyteam miles and got a LGW/ATL/EWR/LHR ticket that would have cost over a grand ... all I paid was 58 pounds for tax etc.