PDA

View Full Version : St Patrick

HandspringGuy
16th Mar 2005, 19:41
Who was St. Paddy? (http://www.aoh.com/history/archive/stpatrick.htm)

The history of the patron saint of Guinness may surprise some people.
*not Mr Drapes of course as he knows all

Buster Hyman
16th Mar 2005, 19:54
The Englishman that the Irish celebrate!:ooh: :} :ouch:

Confabulous
16th Mar 2005, 20:44
Welshman, Buster! :E

Uhoh - we've been celebrating Welshmen all this time? And he brought Christianity (Catholicism) to Ireland, which we've been oh so grateful for ever since... I think we should've turned him back just because of that. We'd have been more productive and less guilt ridden as a nation. :{ :uhoh:

*Dons fire retardent woolly jacket and runs for Wales*

The only other island that uses St. Patricks day as a holiday is Monserratt (sp?)!

tony draper
16th Mar 2005, 20:53
That was the big mistake they made at Whitby throwing in with the church of Rome raher than retaining our celtic christian roots, look at the trouble it led to, five hundred year of blood snot and fire.
Personnely one thinks we should have stayed Druid.
:rolleyes:

Onan the Clumsy
16th Mar 2005, 21:04
I'm with you there Tony. I think religions grow to suit the environment, like if you were a primative tribe living on the coast you might worship the Fish God. It makes sense as your whole life would probably revolve around fish.

Whoops. Thread creep.

Jerricho
16th Mar 2005, 23:04
Great thing about this place, you can cast your net far and wide.

Buster Hyman
17th Mar 2005, 00:24
Welsh, English...what's the difference?:E :ouch:

cyclicmicky
17th Mar 2005, 07:55
Why don't they just have a National Guinness Day,
then we could respond by having a national Newcastle Broon Day,
The Jocks could have a National Fifty Shilling Day,
Not sure about the Welshers National Brains Day though.!!
No more Saints - what would the French do!! they have about half the bloody year off fror saints day's.

:) :hmm:

tony draper
17th Mar 2005, 08:02
Dunno if it just me, one is not anti Irish or anything, but one cannot look at a bottle of Guiness without gagging, horrible bloody stuff, truth to tell, one is not and never has been that fond of Newky Broon either, although unlike guiness if called upon by circumstance to do so, one could keep a bottle of Broon down.
On the other hand one had a great fondness for Newcastle Exhibition draught Ale, mother milk that were.
Anyway Guiness was invented in London by a Englishman..

cyclicmicky
17th Mar 2005, 08:12
Mr Drapes,
try a guinness with a shot of port in the top,
it's shurpwisinly pleshunt, onlyu proooblum gets yu pished cwik an costs tooooo many zzzzzzzzzz.
:E

Pinky the pilot
17th Mar 2005, 08:20
Rather have a few single malt scotches m'self.:E
Although the Irish versions have a lot going for them too!!:ok:
But still remember being asked by an Irishman to join him in a few drinks from a bottle of Irish whiskey that he had. He opened the bottle and threw the top out of the window with the comment
"We won't be needing that again!"
That's when I realised that I was in trouble!!

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Big Tudor
17th Mar 2005, 08:45
Once worked with a Royal Navy chap whose idea of a quiet night down the pub was 12 pints of Guiness with a port top. He even managed to walk home unaided. Us lesser Junior Service mortals were oft to be found upside down in the gutter following such consumption. :yuk:

cyclicmicky
17th Mar 2005, 09:02
Sounds like a man to be reckoned with, my parner used to captain coventry rfc, ( I was never that good unfortunately and played on the wing anyway) - He used to drink in a similar fashion - as I supposed we all did, but us lesser mortals used to end up in a mess. He can't do it these day's though, and nor can I, Old age possibly?? I am looking at my half century in not too many years.
When younger it seemed we could stay up all hours drinking and clubbing etc and it didn't hurt a bit.
I have just had a boys weekend ski trip to Obertauern with some younger as well as older mates, us old uns definitely felt it- trying to keep up with mad young farmers is bloody hard work!!.
I am keeping a low profile to let my body recover, and also because she who must be obeyed gave me a bollocking when she saw the state of me.

However it is Paddy's day, and my brother in law does live in Dublin, so I suppose I should extend warm greetings to him.
Wahaaaaaaay erewego!!.:uhoh:

Windy Militant
17th Mar 2005, 10:17
Happy St Patricks day to all.

As for National Welsh beer day I'd opt for Felinfoel Double Dragon or Cwrw Barcud Coch o bragdy Ceredigion rather than Skull Attack thanks! ;) ;)

MadsDad
17th Mar 2005, 10:26
WM.

I think I would prefer to lean on the bar with my drink and listen to someone else try to order any of them (sober would bge good; drunk better).

It could provide hours of free entertainment. To say nothing of buckets of spit.

Avtrician
17th Mar 2005, 10:34
Lean on this bar, in Patong Beach (http://www.phuket-photos.com/images-phuketwave54/IMG_1771.jpg) Phuket.

(Photo courtesy of Phuket.com)

1DC
17th Mar 2005, 10:36
If St. Patrick's day is to honour a saint, why does it turn into one of the world's biggest annual pi$$ ups??

tony draper
17th Mar 2005, 10:46
One has it on good authority that his credit for getting rid of all the snakes in the Emerald Isle is also unmerited, serpentkind simply failed to make it over the land bridge at the end of the last ice age before the sea rose and isolated Erins Isle,hhmmm typical holy roller trick,
"See my flock, with a word to the boss, I have got rid of all the leopards in Newcastle"
"Err we int got any Leopards in Newcastle"
"See it worked! young Shamus go round with the collection plate at once"

Confabulous
17th Mar 2005, 12:54
typical holy roller trick

Couldn't agree more Tony, the snakes were far too slow. Besides, even if we had them they'd be non-poisonous or at least very shy.

That Guinness stuff is just bog water and hops, brewed in the darkest dungeon and sold to guillible induhviduals with no tastebuds or too much sentiment.

Why doesn't anyone ever admit that most alcoholic drinks just taste like sh!t? I know, they say that Guinness is 'earthy', whiskey is 'smooth' and rum is 'fiery' - that's just another way of saying 'it took me a year to get used to the disgusting taste'.

Before I get barbecued, I love alcohol!

nosefirsteverytime
17th Mar 2005, 13:21
How dare you insult the black stuff!

Drapes, Guinness is not to be drunk in bottles, but from the beer tap.

Anyways, Happy st. Pats day to all from a webcafe just off O'Connell st.!

I make it a point to post today, coz I'm now four years a PPRuNer. I feel old!

teeteringhead
17th Mar 2005, 14:52
If St. Patrick's day is to honour a saint, why does it turn into one of the world's biggest annual pi$$ ups?? .. sure and why not??

Remember the Lord's first recorded miracle was turning water into wine, so I'm sure He wouldn't mind........

lasernigel
17th Mar 2005, 15:12
Ireland, Ireland, together standing tall, shoulder to shoulder...........

Happy St.Patrick's day to all True Irishmen and Women and people with true ancestry

Jerricho
17th Mar 2005, 15:18
I think there will be a few less people standing by the end of the day.

B Fraser
17th Mar 2005, 16:27
I've often been very tempted to smuggle a few harmless grass-snakes into Ireland for a giggle :ok:

The family tree has a branch back into Ireland in the 1800's however I prefer the Scottish distilled product.

1DC
17th Mar 2005, 16:35
""Remember the Lord's first recorded miracle was turning water into wine, so I'm sure He wouldn't mind........"""

Oh I get it now, everyone who is anyone , tries to turn it back into water on St. Patrick's Day....

cyclicmicky
17th Mar 2005, 16:39
You don't need to be anyone to turn it into water,I do it all the time- it just goes a bit yellow!
Ouch!!:8

HandspringGuy
17th Mar 2005, 17:17
Buster
The Englishman that the Irish celebrate!
The thing is, St. Patrick (or Maewyn as he was born) had died about 150 years before England even existed.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to our Celtic cousins :ok:

tinpis
17th Mar 2005, 17:34
Tis even celerbratedhere (http://www.ntnews.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,12580589,00.html) in the jungle, but I suspect the folks think he was a famous rugby league player.

God there was even River dancing which looks to tin like they is hoppin around bustin fer a pee

:sad:

Jerricho
17th Mar 2005, 18:22
a few harmless grass-snakes into Ireland for a giggle

What did St Partick say when he drove the snakes out of Ireland?

"You boys ok in the back there?"

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Mar 2005, 18:40
Ireland has a snake population of about 150000. Mostly pets and zoos.

Mine of useless information........:rolleyes:

airship
17th Mar 2005, 18:51
Happy St.Patrick's day to all True Irishmen and Women and people with true ancestry...oh let's be generous in the true Irish spirit, and extend that to all the Irish of ambiguous ancestry as well. Happy St. Patrick's day to you [email protected] too! :ok:

ad astra
17th Mar 2005, 23:50
"all the Irish of ambiguous ancestry as well"

That would be the Irish football team then:D

Ontariotech
18th Mar 2005, 02:08
My dad calls the Guiness Brewers in Dublin, Mecca, he makes the pilgrimige once evey 4 or 5 years. Happy St. Paddys Day Everyone.

mutt
18th Mar 2005, 10:02
What is so special about the Irish ???

Why is it that St Patricks Day is celebrated worldwide??

Mr Draper, contrary to popular belief, Guinness wasn't invented by Arthur, it was presented by God to stop the Irish taking over the world….. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/guin.gif

Mutt.

HandspringGuy
18th Mar 2005, 10:07
Well the obvious answer is Guinness...

...but really I think it is because the Irish really know how to enjoy themselves: singing, dancing, playing instruments.

If I had to go to a party anywhere in the world, I would choose Eire

HandspringGuy
18th Mar 2005, 15:32
*though obviously they won't be celebrating tomorrow night ;)

Standard Noise
18th Mar 2005, 15:36
ohh, so confident.....................................yet sooo wrong HG ! Let's get ready to rumble!:}

cyclicmicky
18th Mar 2005, 15:38
What makes you say that then Boyo??
(said in best Welsh accent)

:ok:

Standard Noise
18th Mar 2005, 15:52
I've learnt over the years never to listen to anyone from Coventry................................like the wife........................and the wife's sisters...........................and the M-I-L!:p