PDA

View Full Version : Missing Keyboard !

heretic
16th Mar 2005, 13:20
My desktop (duron 1600, gigabyte m'board and win ME) has lost contact with the keyboard which is not broken as working ok with this computer as well as the wife's. It boots into windows ok and all programs accessable with the mouse work as normal. Typing on the keyboard produces faint clicks from inside the case but no action on screen. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a nasty feeling it is hardware fault on m'board!

Whossat Forrus
16th Mar 2005, 13:40
What type of keyboard?
What connection?
If USB have you tried another port?
Is it through a powered hub?
What you do just before it quit?

heretic
16th Mar 2005, 16:47
whossat
keyboard is standard ps2 connection. I use zone alarm software firewall and connect to the internet via an adsl modem router ( origo 7210) and also have Grisoft ADVFN anti virus installed. I ran through a full scan and it reported clean. What is worrying as well is I do not seem to be able to get into the BIOS. But I may have got the wrong keypress to do so and have mislaid the instructions.!

goates
16th Mar 2005, 16:56
It may be the PS/2 port on the computer then. Not sure what you can do about it though other than have the motherboard replaced. You didn't by chance unplug the keyboard while it was plugged in? PS/2 ports weren't designed for this.

goates

heretic
16th Mar 2005, 18:06
Goates
I have dug up m'bd manual and it is the usual press del on startup to get into the BIOS-- which is not working. The annoying bit is that the computer is working fine other than the keyboard. Would it be possible to get a USB keyboard as a workaround?

Engineer
16th Mar 2005, 18:23
When you cold boot do the three lights on the keybd illuminate? part of the POST check

goates
16th Mar 2005, 19:17
If it is the PS/2 port itself, you should just be able to buy a PS/2->USB adapter and use it that way. Or get a USB keyboard.

heretic
16th Mar 2005, 20:33
Engineer
No the 3 lights on the keyboard do not come on during boot-up.

Coconutty
16th Mar 2005, 20:41
Also - if you had unplugged the keyboard prior to it playing up - have you checked the pins inside the PS2 plug to make sure none have been bent when it was plugged back in ??

The easiest way to check if it's the PC or the keyboard at fault, is to get holf of a keyboard that you know works - from another PC, or even buy a new one - you van get a basic keyboard these days for only a couple of pounds / dollars / euros - or try yours on another PC that is known to work with a PS2 keyboard.

If everything else on your PC seems to be working, and the keyboard lights aren't coming on, then a faulty keyboard is the most likely.

A USB keyboard should work but you may find that you can't get into the BIOS using it, as the USB drivers for it won't be loaded by Windows until after the timeout for pressing "Del" to enter the BIOS.

Good luck ;)

heretic
16th Mar 2005, 21:23
Cocon
I tried another keyboard and have the same problem. Also checked the original keyboard on another computer without a problem. I will see if I can find a USB keyboard to try.

goates
16th Mar 2005, 21:23
Coconutty, I think he's already tried the keyboard on other computers and it sounds like it works on them. ;)

Regarding the USB issue with getting into the BIOS, USB keyboards can work. Some motherboards let you change the control of USB devices, like mice and keyboards, to the BIOS instead of the operating system.

Tonic Please
17th Mar 2005, 00:44
Get to Control Panel, System, and Device manager. Find the keyboard entry and delete it if it is there.

Before restarting, unplug the device. Restart the computer and plug it back in shortly after. It "should" detect it then. If not, that confirms a deeper problem, possibly damage.

Keyboards for the original PC/XT used different electrical signaling than the keyboards used by all AT and later PCs. Most keyboards (except for extremely old ones) have a switch on the bottom to select between XT and AT mode. Make sure that the switch is set correctly (normally to AT for all 286, 386 etc. PCs) or the keyboard will not work

We'll see :)

Mav64
17th Mar 2005, 13:15
On the PS2 style there is a 1A fuse on the m/b. It's a subminiature type (about the size of a 1/8 watt resistor) and usually located near the PS2 keyboard port. Green, beige or grey it'll have "1A" on it somewhere - check it's not blown.

Good luck!

heretic
18th Mar 2005, 11:35
mav
There is a grey component soldered into the m-board near the keyboard connector but I am unable to see any markings on it. is there anny easy way to check if is blown?

Mav64
18th Mar 2005, 12:28
Hi, not without a multimeter of some kind I'm afraid. You either need to check for 5V on both sides of it with the power on or check for low (0) ohms resistance across it with the power off.

Alternatively, you could bridge it with something (piece of wire, small pair of pliers) just to check. The fact that you get no leds flashing on the keyboard on boot is a giveaway though.

Either replace it or. as some other posters have suggested, get a PS2-USB converter for the keyboard you have or get a USB keyboard.

Good luck!

heretic
18th Mar 2005, 12:58
Mav
Thanks for help. I have checked the volts and got 4.88 on both sides so must look for ps2 usb converter

Whossat Forrus
20th Mar 2005, 21:22
Have tried a couple of things to replicate your problem.
Have you got a boot disk?

heretic
21st Mar 2005, 07:55
Whossat
I should have one somewhere so will have a dig around.