PDA

View Full Version : Loggin Safety Pilot Hours?!

Frank Poncherello
16th Mar 2005, 12:19
Hi guys,
Not sure this is the right forum for this, but,......

Flew the other day as a safety pilot (ie in the jump seat [A320]), to monitor a new start, just incase anything went wrong.

Just wondered if I can log that time somehow!? P3?!?

I am counting the hours down to a substantial payrise, so one can imagine why I am keen to add the hours to the list!!

Cheers

FP

CosmosSchwartz
16th Mar 2005, 14:25
Log as P2, as you are still effectively a co-pilot. *Disclaimer - Nothing appears to be mentioned in lasors regarding this, so what we do is entirely unofficial as far as I am aware. It's only a few hours though so I'm sure no one will mind!*

TRon
17th Mar 2005, 10:01
No, this goes down as SNY or Supernumery. I dont know if you can log it, but some logbooks have a separate column for this.

moochooser
17th Mar 2005, 23:37
Frank, because so few low hour pilots are hired into jet jobs I was hoping you could share some secrets as to why you think you got the job. I noticed this time last year you were wondering weather or not to build time or get an instructors rating and now you are supervising new hires in an airbus. Seems the choice you made paid off so congratulations. As someone who made it could you give any advice to those of us who are trying.

Frank Poncherello
21st Mar 2005, 16:34
Sure! couple of things, nothing ground breaking!!

1) Never give up, if you believe in yourself, it will happen (might take 6 years instead of 6 months but hey, its worth it!)

2) Keep moving forward - if one stays still, you are no more employable than someone who has just graduated out of flight school (except they are probably sh1t hot on everything!).

By moving forward, you are making yourself more employable, keeping your interest up, making contacts, and showing potential employers how keen you are! (I dont necessarilly mean splashing out on a course, but keep the learning going)

3) Write down the 3 airlines you would work for in an ideal situation, and work towards them (ie tailor your learning). I was speaking to my employer 2 years before i started ATPL training. I invited myself in for a chat with the director over the coffee. Not trying to get a job, but just his advice on training schools. I went to the one the airline sends its new entrants to. Inviting oneself in for a coffee prob wont work in most normal situations, but I tried and it worked

4) "use" every contact you have - ie if you know a pilot or an engineer, try and invite yourself in for a tour of their operation, or aircraft, ie build your contacts. Its meeting people that will get you the job, not sending out CVs

5) Having said that, keep applying and updating airlines - of 150 applications i sent out, i heard back from 5 (most PFO's). Others were happy to invite me in to interview, but only after I called (ie they never wrote to me!)

I know none of this is ground breaking, but stick to the above and it should all work out.

Best of luck,

FP

:D

Piltdown Man
22nd Mar 2005, 11:44
I'd suggest not. The A320 is a two-crew aircraft - millions was spent making it so.

Pub User
22nd Mar 2005, 22:25
Frank

According to LASORs (UK rules) Section A, Appendix B you are to log time spent 'supervising co-pliot activities' as P2.