PDA

View Full Version : 85 years for $180 billion

Bre901
16th Mar 2005, 12:53
more here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4351975.stm)

So if someone steals $1 million, he should spend only 4 hours in jail.
Or am I oversimplifying ?
:confused: :confused:

tony draper
16th Mar 2005, 12:57
He would have prolly got 200 hours community service in the Yoo Kay Mr Bre,I admire the cousins,they know how to hand out a prison sentence.

Big Tudor
16th Mar 2005, 13:22
On balance though Bre, he would be 148 years old by the time he was released. Shouldn't pose much of a threat to society by then I would have thought!

Part of me is becoming more in favour of community service sentances for certain crimes. Prison doesn't allow society to get any recompense from criminals, some might say it is becoming less of a deterent as prison life is more guided by 'human rights' issues. Wouldn't it be better if Mr Ebbers was put to use tidying public amenity areas or doing gardening for pensioners for a few years. At least people would see some benefit from it.

Taildragger55
16th Mar 2005, 14:48
Dreadful, I think a reprimand or at worst a modest fine would have been a fair penalty.

But then, I'm an accountant

:}

Standard Noise
16th Mar 2005, 15:57
4 hours for a $1m US, count me in for a two week break.:}

tony draper
16th Mar 2005, 17:13
In the UK steal a few hundred from the post office and your a thief and a blaggard and quite rightly yer get porridge but steal hundred million from the general public and your a business man, and will prolly get a Peerage.
Again well done the Yanks.
:cool:

airship
16th Mar 2005, 17:25
Yeah, but most of that $180 billion was bubble profit anyway. And Mr. Ebbers already blew several thousand bubbles in the hot tub awaiting trial... :p