PDA

View Full Version : Avalon Air Show - Absolutely Superb

Hudson
16th Mar 2005, 11:38
Went to the Avalon Air Show today. It was quite magnificent. The organisation was first class from the spectator's point of view. The weather was perfect. The flying displays must surely have been among the world's best. I loved the bit where the huge Boeing C17 landed -stopped after a remarkably short run - then carefully reversed backwards on the runway with the announcer saying that the pilot must have dropped his handkerchief and was reversing to pick it up.

The Royal New Zealand Air Force Boeing 757 put on an impressive display with its very low level fly-past and hush-quiet engines seemingly just purring in marked contrast to the various after-burner fighters/bombers that blasted the ears very satisfactorily.

Chatted up a very pretty young nubile in a RAAF flying suit who was guarding the F111. She looked so young that I was sure she was an Air Training Corps cadet. Was taken aback when she said she was the navigator on the F111. Like policemen, navigators look younger as we grow older. In my days, navigators were cranky old bastards who spat the dummy when you went through a Cb (well, only a little Cb) and spilt coffee on their charts.

Congratulations to the organisers and all the participants for a very enjoyable and wonderful airshow.

compressor stall
16th Mar 2005, 19:27
yeah, good, but a bit smaller than the ones in the early 90's though - less heavy gear here.

757's pullup in its warmup on monday was far more impressive than anything it did yesterday though....

CS

Flight Detent
17th Mar 2005, 01:31
Hi guys,

Regarding the show, ground display and flight display, how did you rate the new B737 AEW&C aircraft, the initial aircraft off the Boeing Seattle line.
For the uninitiated, its the B737-700 IGW (without winglets), but with a dirty great 'surfboard' mounted on top, and a zillion antennas stuck all over it!

I just wondered how this aircraft was presented and viewed by the spectators, whats your impression?

FD :ok: