PDA

View Full Version : Marmite advert banned

eal401
16th Mar 2005, 10:02
The current TV advert for Marmite has been banned after 6 complaints from parents whose children were scared by it!

Dear God, I know it may not be the best advert on telly (what is) but banning because of that? Will they ban the sun setting in case some kids are scared of the dark?

Blimey!

Full Story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4353055.stm)

Camilion
16th Mar 2005, 11:04
Just imagine how powerful you'd feel if you were one of the 6 people who complained and managed to wreck an entire ad campaign by such a large company! Going to see which multinational's annoyed me this week and try and waste millions of their pounds aswell

:E :E

And if it means that young children switch off the telly to go and find other, more creative and stimulating ways to spend their time, isn't this a good thing? Bring on more scary blobs of brown goo... :O

BlueDiamond
16th Mar 2005, 11:13
Four said their children refused to watch television after seeing it
At least it did some good then before they banned it.

lexxity
16th Mar 2005, 11:15
I knw what they mean, I'd run a mile from a giant blob of marmite:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Seriously though, is the world going madder by the day:ugh:

timmcat
16th Mar 2005, 11:20
I srongly suspect the Marmite marketing guys will be over the moon with this. There is nothing like banning to draw attention to something. How many people would have been discussing this product (and recalling the ad) today if there had been no complaints?

Avtrician
16th Mar 2005, 11:22
Just as well, its vile stuff. Vegemite is much better.

Ok: helmet, Bike, on me way:p :p

barry lloyd
16th Mar 2005, 12:04
The thing that intrigues me most about that advert is where it was made. It doesn't look like a typical UK high street - more like the US which, if true, is strange for a product made in Burton-on-Trent.
Perhaps they couldn't make it in the UK in case it scared the kids...

Rushton
16th Mar 2005, 12:06
I'd love to see the jar that the blob came in - now that would be scary

Camilion
16th Mar 2005, 12:54
The irony is, if you either love it or you hate it, why are they bothering to advertise it? Seemingly naive reply, but why not, try it you might like it? (and then get knackered for copyright, but you get the picture...)

Send Clowns
16th Mar 2005, 12:59
Complain because your kids won't watch telly? Surely they should be writing to thank the advertisers. Maybe this is the way forward, scare kids away from the TV rather than scaring them away from going outside.

tall and tasty
16th Mar 2005, 13:06
I'd run a mile from a giant blob of marmite

I love the stuff so don't think I would, but saying that I suppose as I have not seen it being a mum I would be concern if the little children got scared.

But as others have said on here if it stops the children watching TV and doing something more stimulating than it is a good thing.

TnT :rolleyes:

cosworth211
16th Mar 2005, 13:11
Political correctness gone mad.

We need standards in society, but it seems that just about any action can offend someone these days.

As said I bet the Marmite marketing team are loving the attention, think how much coverage the United Colours of Bennetton adverts got after all the complaints.

barry lloyd
16th Mar 2005, 13:24
...and French Connection

Grainger
16th Mar 2005, 13:32
Yup, gotta agree - just do what I do and don't watch the stupid adverts in the first place !

phoenix son
16th Mar 2005, 13:38
the Ad hasn't been BANNED full stop, only restricted to viewing at certain times, presumably after 9pm...

Can't believe what the world is coming to, sure we must have had adverts like this when I were a lad, never affected me (at least that's what the voices in my head keep telling me...):E

joe2812
16th Mar 2005, 14:18
Well if only 6 complaints get an advert banned, can't we pick one and try it? Power to the people!

I vote for compo company adverts, they've scared me so much into thinking i'm going to slip and break my hip that I won't even leave the house anymore...

If the good Lord wanted us to watch adverts, He wouldn't have given us the remote...

BALIX
16th Mar 2005, 16:47
I see Dr Who is making a comeback. Perhaps the recently redundant brown blob of goo will get a new job on that programme.

It wouldn't be Dr Who
Without big blobs of goo.

Hey, I'm a poet!!

airship
16th Mar 2005, 17:39
Ye be missing a subtle point: The Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre (BACC) which vets ads before they're aired let it through and have since stood by their decision. The 4 who complained said their children refused to watch television after seeing it... whereafter the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) banned it. Just who runs the ASA then...? :}

A layer of mmmarmite followed by a layer of honey on a slice of toast is as close to heaven as one can get to in the morning... ;)

LordGrumpy
16th Mar 2005, 18:33
Hot white toast miniscule butter, marmite and six kids on top, that's my favourite said the giant.
Maybe this part of a big plot, to have us switch to the non commercial channels.

1DC
16th Mar 2005, 19:25
Doesn't frighten me cos i'm a big kid..

Sounds like a con to me, wonder if the complainers were on Marmites payroll..

pilotwolf
16th Mar 2005, 19:37
Odd ad but can't quite see why it's so scary - especially compared with some of the animated cartoons on these days...

Love it myself - nice thick sandwich no butter and squashed flat or 2nd best on toast......

Hmm off to kitchen - shouldn't be able to set it alight making a sandwich.

PW

JustaFew
16th Mar 2005, 20:16
The Advertising Standards Authority is staffed by many people
from the advertising industry. How's that for a balanced unbiased
QUANGO???

The ASA has ordered the Marmite advert to be shown after 9pm, but not banned it.

Never could come to terms with poeple diving head-first into a
giant, rolling turd......:uhoh:

Morgan James
17th Mar 2005, 00:55
If they banned (or moved) the advert because of complaints from six people, what on earth will they do if seven or eight register approval? Put it back? Now there's a dilemma!

SilsoeSid
17th Mar 2005, 01:36
I saw the guy from the Advertising Standards Authority being interviewed about this ad yesterday morning.

The main thing about the issue was that adverts are shown on the TV without invite, ie the viewer doesn't choose which adverts are shown to them.

What utter twoddle thought I. When I watch The Simpsons, am I told which episode Itchy and Scratchy will be in ?
NO.
Is that programme banned/watershedded?
NO.

A bit of mumbo jumbo going on methinks.

Public opinion by the thousands is bringing Dr Who back to our screens shortly, how few of whatever creed, colour or religion will it take to get it taken off the air I wonder?

Will we ever be able to see the living parts of a Dalek (http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~niall/wav/daleks/Emrgncy.wav) again?

http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/photoshop/dalek-dead.jpg

Ontariotech
17th Mar 2005, 01:37
I wonder how many people have nightmares after flying with Ryanair........does that mean we can shut the airline down?

ORAC
17th Mar 2005, 07:28
You can understand why they banned it, it might spread....... :O

reynoldsno1
18th Mar 2005, 04:24
The thing that intrigues me most about that advert is where it was made.

It was filmed in the New Zealand town of Thames - fairly typical wide main street with angled parking. The local rugby team supplied the locomotion for the "blob"....

There is a NZ version of Marmite, but it is a pale imitation of the original, and has had a lot of sugar added :yuk: I prefer Vegemite to this pretender....

Val d'Isere
18th Mar 2005, 05:44
This ban is a dangerous precedent.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm worried it could spread. :ooh:

ShyTorque
18th Mar 2005, 07:48
Bring back the bogeyman, on all channels just before 9 o clock. An' tell the kids he's coming to get them if they don't turn off the box and get off to bed :E