PDA

View Full Version : Baggage Security Important

Ozgrade3
16th Mar 2005, 08:40
I've just finished watching the 7:30 report featuring that poor girl Schappell Corby who faces the Death Penalty by firing squad in an Indonesian Court if Convicted of importing 4.1 kg of marijuana in a boogy board bag into Bali. Heartbreaking stuff to watch.

I feel I need to raise an issue that concerns me greately. I have worked in baggage areas both domestic and international for over 5 years and am shocked and dismayed by the apparent lack of security awareness by passangers regarding their checked baggage.

Just one flight (International)I surveyed the other day had 112 checked bags. Of that figure, only 12 bags were adequately secured against tampering. That's less that 10%. To gain access to the contents of the bags one only had to open a zipper. While theft of passengesr property has been the main focus, the Schappel Corby case illustrates a far more sinister problem. Drugs potentially being placed in un-suspecting passengers bags after being checked in. Indeed this point will be her last point of defence by her legal team.

While I haven't seen directly anything llike that happen, if you work around the airport long enough you hear stories, while most would be urban legands where there's smoke there's fire.

It is imperative that we get the message out to the general public to secure their bags. After packing your bags, put cable ties through the zippers, even better would be the security ties that are available.They break if the are tampered with. The cheap $2 padlocks that are prominent are totaly useless as with a bit of skill they can be unlocked with the end of a paperclip. More recently, many ports have introduced shrink rapping of bags which I believe is quite effective also.

Additionaly, immediately apon collection of ones bags in the arrivals hall when you arrive at your destination, it is imperative that you examin your bags for tampering, and if this is suspected, notify the customs officials straight away, don't touch your bag.

Most Asian countries have draconian laws against drug trafficking and punishments that include the death penalty, or worse, spending the rest of your life in a squalid jail. Most Asian countries have dubious legal system at best where where the burden of proof for the prosecutuon is no where near as stringent as we enjoy here in Australia

Please pass this advice to anyone you know who may be traveling, overseas in particular.

LOCK YOUR BAGS SECURELY.

The Riddler
16th Mar 2005, 10:08
Good advice but the bigger question must be..

WHY aren't ALL airside staff (ie Baggage Handlers, Refuellers, Engineers, Catering Staff, the list goes on.......) security screened. If media reports are correct then there are a few bad apples located in these groups!

New changes just in have all Pilots and Cabin Crew subjected to screening prior to accessing airside. Personally I resent being subjected to this action whilst other staff just waltz on in. If we are going to screen staff, screen all the bloody staff!!

The argument of cost is a poor one when compared to the cost of an innocent persons life.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Point0Five
16th Mar 2005, 10:34
Interesting topic...

Ozgrade3

You raise many points worthy of further investigation; and also offer some rather sage advice. At which point should a passenger lose confidence in the security mechanisms employed to protect their baggage within Australia?

As you've quite correctly pointed out, aviation is a highly regulated industry. It seems to me that the failure is inherent within the lax arrangements regarding baggage handling. What can we do to protect our fellow Australian citizens from being exploited by unsrupulous types?

Finally, you speak of "urban legends" about this sort of stuff... the world is full of such conspiratal talk; is there any substance to it? I'm not doubting what you say, but rather seeking some objective evidence about how these people did it. I'd like to believe that this type of behaviour isn't condoned and would not be easily pulled off.

duknweev
16th Mar 2005, 10:52
Locks are great until the airline reminds you checked baggage must be left unlocked for security purposes. Locks can and will be broken if suspicious items are found on xray.

Point0Five
16th Mar 2005, 11:10
Just watching the news on 10 and it appears that somebody has now offered a statement the drugs were put in her bag by a baggage handler... interesting stuff!:ok:

Ozgrade3
16th Mar 2005, 11:56
The Riddler and Point of 5, you both raise valid points.

I often wonder at the lack of any form of security in the basement. Apart from a camera above each baggage carosell where the cans are unloaded there no other secutiry cameras or guards.

Security screening of everyome going airside would be the best way, but as the public wouldnt be able to see it happening, they wont ever do it. Thats why aircrew get screened. because it make the government look like they are actually doing something about security.................Its mere window dressing.

Why wont all airside staff ever be screened???. the answer is simple.....................$$$$$$$$$$

Duknweev, I dont believe airlines state that bags should be left unlocked. Have never seen any advice to that effect. Besides, they and customs have the biggest bad assed bolt cutters I ever did see. Could cut through a sherman tank in a pinch.

The two goals you have is to;

1. Stop someone getting into your bag to put something in it. - you dont worry about theft, if somoene wants ur bag they can just pick it up and walk off woith it.

2. Easy detection of tampering of your bag.

Shrink wrapping is the go if its available.

Sheep Guts
16th Mar 2005, 15:54
This is relative to economics. Baggage handlers are paid reasonable in some countries like Australia but are paid extrememly poorly in other especially the Third World.

I noticed the other day in Brisbane international, there was a service offered where they cling wrap seal your baggage. Some will say this process does nothing for the determind thief, but it really does, as it adds valuable time to the process for them to accomplish their intentions. Another thing they need to offer is, an independant weighing service or better the airline needs to weigh and then sticker your luggage and your check slip with this weight. If this is in place, it would probably stop cases like the "Chapelle Corby Case in Bali" happening assuming someone spiked her luggage. Ofcourse this cling wrap process is new to Brisbane but has been in place in the Americas especially the Central and South America for years.

I worked in Carribean for 3 years and noticing what happened at their airports , really opened my eyes. Because of the substsandard income of Airport workers, there is allways the opportunity to corruption and thievery.

RELATIVE ECONOMICS

think about it

Sheep:(

duknweev
17th Mar 2005, 23:29
ozgrade, yeah in Oz and around asia I've never had that advice, but had it in the UK and US (perhaps flying US airline - their policy?)

Stall Margin
18th Mar 2005, 06:04
I was wondering whether anyone can tell me if the bags are x-rayed or not! I have been in the industry for 20 years and am sure that domestic travel bags are not but i am not sure about international travel baggage!

RENURPP
18th Mar 2005, 06:13
Depends on location I believe.
Most economy checked in bags are "trace" tested at some locations and not at others, business class don't appear to be tested at all, SO if you are a terrorist and don't want your bag subject to trace testing simply buy a business class seat!!

What sort of idiot dreamt theat one up??

Might as well put up a sign,
Passengers with explosives in their luggage que here!

Other passengers que here