PDA

View Full Version : Contender Sailors

AntiCrash
16th Mar 2005, 01:47
I picked up an old Contender Sailboat last weekend. Any of you Ppruners Contender drivers? I have a little work to get her into shape. Not too boats many over here in Florida I guess, but it looks like it's going to be fun, fun, fun!

MikeKnight
16th Mar 2005, 02:56
This may jog some peoples memories:
http://www.sailingsource.com/contender/images/trenton_2003/regatta_h/108_0814.jpg

Did you get a wood one or a fibreglass one?

sailor
16th Mar 2005, 10:06
Who is taking my name in the plural in vain?

Ace Rimmer
16th Mar 2005, 12:32
Ahh the Contender in my younger days I was possesed of such a craft K-172 to be exact. Seriously fun boat...oh BTW you WILL be tacking and forget to hook on...funny but you always seem to get to full stretch just as you relise this salient fact. And you will tea bag yourself frequently.

What kind have you got as Mike asks. I recall there were some absolutley beautiful cold moulded wood ones around although the vast majority are all glass there are some composite ones about more often these days.

If it's a fibreglass one by Rondar check for gel cracking along the radius where the side tanks meet cockpit floor also worth checking the integrity of hull/deck join.

On handling one thing I always did was use some board (about half) even when broad reaching - it seemed to give the rudder somthing to work with (as you might imagine ther is not a lot of distance between the end of the board and the rudder when the former is half up) some guys will tell you reaching with no board is better especially in gusty winds (boat slides sideways in the gusts so wont over power as quickly - or that's the theroy)

This is stuff you need to work out your own preference for. It's worth checking out the class website - I think it has some good tuning and handling tips - search under International Contender.

Bottom line though you'll have a lot of fun with this boat - If I were going to buy a boat today a Contender would still be pretty much at the top of the list.

AntiCrash
16th Mar 2005, 14:14
She is a fibreglass boat from OZ with spars made by Hawker DeHavilland. The rigging is in poor shape but there is enough left for samples. The mast has a few spots of corrosion around the data plate one of which is a small hole that is about the size of a pencil lead. I am exploring ways to rectify the mast problems.

Forgetting to hook on reminds me of my first excursion in my 1X shell when it it took only two strokes to go inverted, dangling submerged by my left hoof. I can't wait to see what kind of trouble I can find.

Ace Rimmer
16th Mar 2005, 15:46
Blimey Anti Crash are you sure you aren't me?

I used to do a bit of sculling myself when I lived up by the tideway (had a Janosek 1X for a while) . Remember one time hitting a lane bouy about five strokes into a 500m sprint race tres embarresment!!!!

BTW ref the rig have you thought of binning it and getting a carbon one - apparently there all the go these days...