PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone unlocking

15th Mar 2005, 20:33
Has anyone here had any experience with mobile phone unlocking software? (the sort that is available from E-bay for £2 or £3)
I've got a few phones that are sim locked, and I don't really want to pay someone to do them all.

reynoldsno1
15th Mar 2005, 20:37
Had mine done in bangkok a few years ago for about GBP1.50 - worked a treat and still does....

pilotwolf
15th Mar 2005, 20:38
There's several freeware ones around... not sure its legal now though.

Also do a search here as someone put a link up a while back for free unlocks too...

Check PMs!

PW

timbo04
15th Mar 2005, 21:51
Hi there

I have a free programme which can be used on Nokia's - pm if you would like it.

Cheers

Tim

Coconutty
16th Mar 2005, 08:58
SIM Locking is where a handset is tied, or "locked" to a particular Network Service Provider, such as "Orange" or "Vodafone" etc, and is their way of trying to keep you as their customer... :eek:

If you OWN the handset, and/or are not tied in to a contract with its supplier ( depending on the terms of the contract ) then unlocking the SIM lock is perfectly legal :D
In fact the Service provider is OBLIGED to provide you with information or unlock it for you - BUT THEY CAN CHARGE A FEE - often £10 to £20 in the UK :ouch:

This is probably why unlocking software was developed and is now widely available at a fraction of the cost.

Some confusion over the legality of unlocking a phone ( at least in the UK ) stems from recent legislation passed in the UK :
"The Mobile Telephones (Re-programming) Act 2002"
This law is concerned with REPROGRAMMING the Serial Number of a handset ( its IMEI Number ) so that, for example, stolen phones could be re-used after they have been BLOCKED by the service provider :\

Reprogramming the IMEI number is a completely different kettle of fish to unlocking the SIM lock which is not prohibited by this ( OAFAIK any other ) legislation.

To remove the SIM lock, which then allows the handset to be used on any network, you need the following information :

1. The make and model of phone
2. The Network it is locked to
3. The handset IMEI number

Item 3. can be obtained by looking on the label under the battery ( usually ) or by typing STAR HASH ZERO SIX HASH on the keypad.

This information is then used by the software to generate a code number which has to be typed into the handset to unlock it :ok:

Beware that you only get 5 attempts at entering the code and then the handset will become BLOCKED. It will then need UNBLOCKING by a dealer, or someone with the appropriate cable connections for your handset to a PC and more sophisticated software - plus a FEE :*

AH64 APACHE
18th Mar 2005, 15:56
As phone unlocking is legal if you are out of contract can anyone let me know of any websites which generate unlocking phones for Siemens?

Can find loads for Nokias but none for Siemen's.

Any ideas??

BRL
18th Mar 2005, 20:29
Link Here. (http://www.unlockme.co.uk)

Then go to the forums...............

Bigwings
18th Mar 2005, 21:38
Or here (http://www.unlocker-forums.co.uk/index.php)

Bigwings :ok: